Default Police/Stasi Handcuffs

just bought these on ebay.de:

http://home.arcor.de/grenzpolizei/ru22.jpg

who in fact used these?

how were they carried when not in use? i saw a listing on ebay.de for a lot of equipment which showed a set of these in a slim fawn leather pouch (with the 'T-bar' secured by the flap), which i later identified as being for a mak clip. any ideas?

Default "come along"

As for the Volkspolizei or other DDR group that used those, I don't know.
    I will add that such devices were relatively common with US police departments during much of the 20th century. There used to be a set in the Seattle police museum. I think they sometimes had the nickname "come alongs."

This "Festhaltekette", literally "retrain chain" was used in Germany since the 19th century by the police, customs, DoJ and DoC.

Yours are maybe East-German, but my East-Berlin VoPo workmates, who bring their own ones after reunification, had exactly the same as we had.

I never saw or heard that there were special pouches for them, all I know that we (West-Germany) had a little pocket on the right front between the zipper and the right trouser pocket.
    As here are many guys with VoPo-uniforms, I think they are able to answer if the trousers had similar little pockets.

that's interesting - i'd like to know about the pockets when you find out.

were these for arrests on the street etc, or only for the transit of persons already in custody?

The most used design of handcuffs in East- and West-Germany was this one:

Made of steel or aluminum alloy by several companies since the '20s or '30s I think.

We had them in Berlin (east and west, police, aluminum alloy) until the mid '90s, one or two in each patrol car (don't know if still used as I'm retired now).

The retrain chain was an item of the personal equipment, a so called "Notnagel" (literally a "nail for cases of emergency" = stopgap) because the handcuffs didn't work to handcuff a guy like Arnie. :D

In the late '80s we get handcuffs from Hiat and in the '90s S&W ones as individual equipment.

The only authority I know personally who used the retrain chain only was the (West-) Berlin DoJ, when they transport prisoners in the court house.

I make a picture today or tomorrow of my retrain chain I still got. The are made of thicker material than yours.