Squirrel Hunting ?

Thread: Squirrel Hunting ?

Default Squirrel Hunting ?

Decided to get into a bit of squirrel hunting and want to get my .22 Rem 552 Speedmaster accurate enough to make head shots. No luck so far with CCI mini mags or some very old Rem Thunderbolts, so off to the local store to see what they have in stock. Curious what most use for squirrel, hollow points or solids? Would seem to me that HPs are not needed for quick, clean kills, but I'll use whatever I can get to shoot the most accurate out of my rifle.

federal, hollow or solids. I also use reduced velocity 22's.... Aquila.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

I use solids, federal

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

thanks guys, trying that out today.

I use remington hollow points. They were the most accurate in my 10-22.

Rad
    NRA Benefactor Member

AMA Life Member

Life Member Tri State Gun Collectors

My squirrel hunting is with a .32cal custom flintlock with a 44" barrel, but I do a little target shooting with my Winchester Mod 52 using Federal Gold Medal rounds. I've found these to probably be the most accurate, but the Aquila low velocity rounds mentioned by falm 16 are about equal.

CCI Standard Velocity 40gr LRN works for me.

I usually hunt squirrel with an old Stevens Model 66 bolt-action my Dad bought back in the early 1930's, but the 10-22 and a Beretta 71 cycle fine using the CCI Standard Velocity...
    THOMAS SOWELL: "freedom is seldom lost all at once. It is usually eroded away, bit by bit, until it is all gone. You may not notice a gradual erosion while it is going on, but you may eventually be shocked to discover one day that it is all gone, that we have been reduced from citizens to subjects, and the Constitution has become just a meaningless bunch of paper."

I use whatever the local Walmart sells. The Stevens/Springfield 84C- is quite accurate with anything.
    "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

-Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

When I used to squirrel hunt with my Marlin Model 25, it was most accurate with CCi minimags. I used the hollow points to great effect. I could open up their craniums quite nicely with it. These days I hunt then with my .62 caliber (20 gauge) smoothbore flintlock, and a 1 1/8 oz load of #6 shot.

Last squirrel hunt was with a .62 cal. flintlock Fusil year before last
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

I find a 17 HMR good for close to 100+ yards without adjusting for distance. very accurate and flat shooting with none of them crawling away.

Twenty plus years ago I owned a 552. I liked it because it was relatively large for a .22 and even though a semi-auto it would shoot short, long or long rifle and still cycle the action. Like you, I couldn't get decent enough accuracy for hunting. I hope you have a better outcome. Best. Tom

Solids....in the youthful mountains 151 mossburg found in a grave yard....

Since this Squirrel Hunting Thread was initiated back last November, we--my small group of 4 other friends--and I had our annual squirrel hunt in early January. Five of us total. Four use flintlocks, and one uses a caplock, and we hunt a 700+ acre major creek bottom hardwood forest on a quail hunting Plantation where I still, though I've been retired for 10 years, manage the timber and wildlife. All together we killed 65 or 66 squirrels in 2 days, most were head shots though not all as we wanted them to be. And one bobcat....almost forgot about that! It's fun to get 3-4 squirrels up in the limbs, bust one and try to reload your flintlock and keep an eye on the other ones 'till you're ready to shoot again!