Thread: 2400 in 44 mag

Default 2400 in 44 mag

So anyone here use alliant 2400 to load 44 rem mag? How do you like it?
    I have been loading 200gr hornady HP-XTP's but would like to give some bigger ones a try. I have been useing unique with great results. Its very clean burning (and thats a big plus for a gas operated gun), and my gun has never shot better. (desert eagle)
    But the loading bug is biteing me in the butt and I want to try diffrent weight bullets and other loads. I am gonna stick with hornady HP-XTP's because my local store stocks them more than any other, plus I like them. But my load book (hornady) only lists loads with unique for the 180, 200, and 240gr bullets. It does not list unique for the 265 and 300gr bullets. I was checking out alliants website and they say this about 2400 "Legendary for its performance in .44 magnum and other magnum pistol loads" So I was wondering if anyone here uses it and how well they like it. How clean does it burn?

I have read a little around online and it seems like lots of people use H110, but I also hear and read that it is also a pretty dirty burning powder. Being that these loads will be shot from a semi auto gas operated gun, I would like to stay away from dirty buring powders.

Thanks for any help

I have no experience with it in handguns but I actually use it in one of my .308 loads. It works great and burns cleanly. I keep the charge low so the recoil is dampened and the accuracy is still near excellent...of course, YMMV
    "The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

I've used quite a bit of 2400 and W296 and H110 when I used to shoot heavy 45 colt loads and from my dealings with the three are If your shooting near or at max loads with standard and heavy weight bullets W296/H110 burn extremely clean! Shoot lighter bullets dont have a heavy crimp or back off near max loads and you start to get some smudge and incomplete burn!Those two thrive on high pressures and are extremely accurate at that level
    Now with 2400 its like old reliable it always works good may not be the fastest horse in the stable but works well at sane speeds and pressures the older stuff seemed no more or less "dirty" than any other pistol powder in the bigger bores to me.not the best but not the worst either I hear tell that the newer formula of 2400 is cleaner burning ?may just be a marketing thing by Alliant though ?
    I would go with the 2400 .
    Last edited by RU shooter; 09-16-2008 at 08:33 PM.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

LETS GO PENS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up

i run 19gr 2400 with rem 240gr JHP kills deer just fine out of the redhawk and marlin 1894

Default 2400 in 44 Mag

Like the late Skeeter Skelton, I download the original Elmer Keith's load of 22 gr 2400 / 240-250 cast bullet #429421 to 21 gr 2400 w/same bullet. I have also loaded heavy loads of #296 w/same cast bullets but can't recall exact wt @ this time and don't have access to my loading data @ the moment. #2400 burns more completely in heavy loads as light loads leavy more unburned particles. But, #2400 is a great choice for use w/normal wt bullets.

Alliant (Hercules) 2400 worked for Elmer and it still works. I have used it in .44 mag,. and .45 Colt (in the Ruger) and it works well. However, the newer powders (already mentioned) will give significantly higher velocities at allowable pressures. H110 has been my favorite for years, but has a narrow range of operation - it is for heavy loads, period. (The same is true of W296.) I plan on trying 'Lil Gun' in the .44 mag. but have not yet gotten around to it - it looks like it may be the best yet for maximum loads. I agree with what has been said - 2400 is fine for "moderately" heavy loads.

All my loading has been for revolvers, so I don't know if your gas operated semi auto pistol has any particular requirements. Will too slow a powder cause the action to cycle too violently? - like what happens with the M14, etc?

I've used it for years with 44 mag., 45 Colt, and 357 mag. handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by The Celt View Post
    All my loading has been for revolvers, so I don't know if your gas operated semi auto pistol has any particular requirements. Will too slow a powder cause the action to cycle too violently? - like what happens with the M14, etc?
    Thats a good question. I do know that when I shoot factory loaded ammo (like the rem 180gr JSP a few months ago) it was always viloent, good recoil and muzzle flip. Pretty much all factory loaded ammo shot like this.
    After I had got my reloading stuff set up I used that brass and made up some new shells. I went to the toy store and picked out a box of hornady 200gr HP-XTP's. I chose them because they had plenty, and 200gr seemed like a good middle of the road choice. (not the lightest bullet, but not the heavyest) I then chose unique because I read about it being real good in the 44 mag, and my hornady book had it listed.
    The hornady book only shows two loads for the 200gr and unique. The starting load of 11.4gr, and the max of 12.9gr. I loaded the 11.4 and it made a world of diffrence!! The pistol has never shot so good. Shoots nice and smooth, recoil and muzzle flip were way down. I love this load! I tried 12gr and I could feel the diffrence in recoil and jump, but was still not as bad as factory ammo. So all my loads have been the 11.4gr.

To answer some questions. I do not shoot cast lead bullets out of this gun, it will kill the gas system. So I always shoot copper jacketed bullets. I do not load "hot" I prefer to keep loads lighter and safe. Plus its less wear and tear on the gun itself. But I would like to try some heaver bullets just to see how they do. It might shoot better, or it might shoot worse, I dont know. I just want to give them a try.
    The gun is a desert eagle, and it has a 6 inch barrel. (probably should have mentioned that in the first post)

break down a factory round and you will find powder of the 296/H110