Gunboards Forums banner

IJ70-17AS pics. Stainless or nickel plated?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  lincen 
#1 ·
I just traded a Taurus Model 605 (new/unfired) .357 Magnum snubbie for this really nice IJ70-17AS. From all indications and observations it appears to be stainless steel. I've seen many nickel plated handguns and this one appears different; it seems bare metal. I've read that there were 15,000 stainless Makarov pistols imported through B-WEST, and another 30,000 nickel plated through the same importer. Is there any information regarding serial numbers which might indicate which variation I have? The pistol grip has been changed to a Bulgarian one since I favored the Bakelite over the Baikal black one. Best regards and thanks in advance for any comments.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi. When I did research for the book the "S" in the model number stood for satin finished chrome. Now, I know enough about Makarovs to realize I don't know much about Makarovs, so it is possible it could be stainless. However, if you really survey Russian handgun production you just don't see much in stainless. Easiest test would be to scratch a surface on the pistol deep enough to get past any plating and dab it with cold gun blue. I will leave that to your judgement. Good luck, ABTOMAT

#6 ·
I have read a lot of discussions on this and I don't remember, that is hardly definitive, a single verified stainless Makarov. Every example I can remember was plated.

#7 ·
A magnetic test can be a dead end, as has been stated some stainless, especially in gun grade stainless is magnetic (google it). The cold blue method will show, but you have to mar the surface somewhere (inconspicuous, but still a mar), and if plated, that is one fine example of unmarred plating. Looking like the surface is "bare" metal is also inconclusive (to us laymen). My plated Mak (Bulgarian) internals looks pretty much as yours does.

The one mar to the surface of your pistol is the line the detente spring of the decocker left. Hard to tell in the pic, but I submit, if stainless, it should be as consistent in colour as the s.n. matrix. A question in my mind is if the barrel is stainless, would it need to be chrome lined? Also, since these slides were milled specifically for export, would Russians (early '90s) go to the expense of a stainless adjustable sight and stainless stamped slide release? Or mixed stainless and faux stainless parts? All of which is speculation as to what Russians would do, and proves nothing. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.