Gunboards Forums banner

Price check - unissued Yugo M48

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  TheGreenMan 
#1 ·
Several years back I purchased two unissed Yugo M48s from Big 5. They came with sling, frog, bayonet, mag pouches - very nice. What are they worth now?

#2 ·
Well as a comparison for you: I got a M48A in almost unissued condition and a sling for $180 and a M48 with nice dark wood but a couple of dings for $190. Both were all matching. Bayonets are about $30 or so. Not sure what slings or pouches are going for now, $10-$20?

#6 ·
I also picked up a M48 BO that was in excellent condition for $180. But on Gunbroker there are some packages like what you described in the $400 range. However I feel people get a little ridicules with all these claims of a 60 to 80 year old rifle being "unfired" or "unissued". Without documentation that has followed a rifle all it's life it is unrealistic to make such claims.

#3 · (Edited)
NagantM30,

Those Yugo M48's, M48A/B's, and OB's in real unissued, unfired (except factory proofing) and mint bore condition are slowing becoming more uncommon, as people buy them and shoot them.

Every time one of those are shot, mine just gets more special... ;) It will probably be another 10 years before I see an appreciable value increase.
I got my BO version 3 years ago for $180 delivered from KY imports with a "Cherry Importers" mark on barrel with a complete set of new condition accessories, even the cleaning kit was new. Yes the stock has a few dings from storage, but the wood is amazing. The corners are crisp and sharp.

Once they have been fired a few times they are no longer unissued mint condition. IMO, they become excellent condition, used rifles.

IMO, I would say $250-$300 for real unissued with all of the extra goodies. That being said, Mitchel's is hawking them for $399 and up and supply and demand by region and internet influence that value also. Used ones would be $150-210 that I have seen with no accessories. I have have three other M48's that are just plane range-hound shooters with real nice bores. I like them all and others may have a totally different outlook for these Yugo mausers...

I agree with the greenman on accessory prices that I have seen....

The Greenman seems to have paid a very decent price for his two. When did you get those Greenman and are they unissued and unfired? Did the accessories come with them.?

#11 · (Edited)
The Greenman seems to have paid a very decent price for his two. When did you get those Greenman and are they unissued and unfired? Did the accessories come with them.?
I got the M48 with the dark wood from Gunbroker. It came with nothing and is in excellent but used condition. The wood is slightly beat up, more so than I would think you would see from storage.

The M48A I got from here on Gunboards. It came with a sling. It seems to be in "unissued" condition, with a ding of two from storage but I couldn't tell you if it is actually unissued or just lightly used.

Both were bought earlier this year.

#5 · (Edited)
Please excuse the long post... It has taken more text to explain opines on the matter. I have not mastered the use of magic "?????????????" marks to make my ideas clearer. :D

The Question was about value of unissued Yugo M48 mausers. If you want to put the same value on an unissued and "used" firearm, that is part of your collecting/buying strategy. Just so long as when selling a a firearms the buyer is made aware that a rifle is unissued, unfired or an excellent Used condition mauser. Otherwise that would be deception...

I understand that "unissued" with military anything is a grey area. From factory to transfer to military control, one may consider the item delivered/issued. Something factory fresh sent to 50 years of military storage, I would consider "military new." Unissued is a term used to mean not used or assigned for use by a service member or any individual.

Used is Used..... Nothing wrong with used!.... that is why I collect MilSurps, I like 'em full of character, cosmolene, stains and dings....

Except for the single unissued military new condition Yugo BO, all of the others in the collection have seen considerable use of one type or another.

IMO...Once a rifle goes to the range it can not be considered "unissued" any more in present tense. Only past tense. As in "this was an unissued rifle that I have used and fired 200 times..." And its overall value should reflect that use.

IMO... the Real unfired (w/exception of factory proofing process) and unissued condition rifles will hold a premium over the 200 round lightly fired models (fired by an old lady and only on Sundays).

A point to remember with these Yugo mausers. Every once in a while a random selection of the "unissued" rifles were taken out of storage and sent to the range for functionality checks. I consider these used. I have one with pristine wood and outside metal finish and it came oozing with cosmolene. However, it had a nasty barrel due to lack of proper maintenance.

every rifle has been fired???????????????? test fired range fired????????????
Yes...it is a fact every complete production rife has been at least factory proofed and zero fired. The different proofing and zeroing rounds are designed to be no-corrosive and built to tighter standards..

and another couple 100 rounds won't make a difference?????????? Unless some damage is done to the rifle during the firing process!

take care
alex
I am confused by your statement.... Your flip-flop answer sounds like a politician. Seems middle of the fence and supports both of our differing opinions. :confused:.

FACT is Every round fired in a rifle creates wear and tear of some-kind. 200 rounds is gonna leave permanent marks somewhere. Include in this wood finish being affected by handling dings, permanent changes in wood finish caused by high heat of using a firearm, body oils from handling and chemicals from cleaning impregnating the wood.

If someone wants to keep shooting a mauser and continue to call it new/unissued, that is their business.... I consider that used. We just have a different of Opinion here on this topic.

I have an old Russian Capture k98 that came with a ratty pitted dark bore. After, 200+ rounds the lands are shiny and sharp (look almost new). The grooves are still pitted, but it is a nice shooter.... The the 4 trips to the range have resulted in the lands being polished to a shine.

NagantM39.... In My Opinion, So long as your Yugo mausers have remained unfired they are in unissued status and can be valued separately and higher from excellent condition mauser. If used at the range or on hunting trips, I would consider them used. Unfortunately their value appreciates slower that other kinds of mauser.

Whew..... now it is time to take care of some honey-dews so I can go to the gun-show to look at used rifles....;)

#7 ·
I own approximately 100 milsurp rifles. I am a collector and have sold only a few firearms over the years. However, unexpected emergencies dictate that I sell some of my collection. I will attempt to do so this weekend at a local gun show. Most of my rifles are Mosin Nagants and I only own three Yugo M48s. I know little about the Yugos. I have many factory rearsenaled rifles Mosins. However, my Yugos are not rearsenaled. I purchased two UNISSUED M48s with all the accessories in 2000 from Big 5 for $173 each including tax. They don't even have any storage dings on the wood. I have not fired either one of them and I never even cleaned all the cosmoline out of the bolts. I will put them on the table for $300 each and see what happens. I appreciate all your input.

#8 ·
I bought a "unissued, unfired so to speak" M48 several years ago. Being a beautiful rifle to look at, I still had to shoot it because that's me. I don't regret shooting it because I found it to be a very accurate, fun to shoot rifle. With plenty of the 70's Yugo ammo stored away, I plan to keep shooting it and want worry about the value.

#9 ·
About as unfired as I've acquired, though I have overlooked so many cosmo-packed dozens in past years at gunshows. Still, I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't shot it, but then again, haven't had a chance to shoot most of my Mausers (yet).

Won't bother with what I paid, as it was several years ago.

#10 · (Edited)
Your "unissued" LOOKING M48s are selling for around $300. Rifles with the nicer looking wood, more grain and unusual wood, sell for a bit more.

Forget all the semantic arguments. In the past there were tons of M48s still in the cosmo for sale. If it looks like it has not been issued to the the troops and looks new. Unissued means not issued for service. At least that is the definition most vendors use, and is a concensus, of opinions.

If it looks unfired it will suffice to call it as new, for the shooters. If the bore, crown, and throat are like new and the outside looks like new. That should be sufficiant for the shooter. Most M48s are extremely accurate with the right ammo. Even some of the well used ones are very accurate.

Some collectors may want one that has not been fired other than the factory tests, and if the rifle is still packed in cosmo, one can reasonably assume it is straight from the factory warehouse.

If it is new and unfired Looking, it will fetch the price. Period.

Reason. M48s are hard to find in new like condition at this time and the prices reflect it.

It folks post they bought them for cheap. They should post where and when. Opinions will come in no matter what. Gotta back up those opinions with some links and or facts on where and when those prices can be found.

Search the auction sites and you will see what they sell for now. It is not allowed to post on going auctions, so I can't post links.

Vendors, other than MM do not offer M48s in unissued at this time.
We have been buying the "LIKE" new M48s for around $280 to $300 in the last year or so since the vendors ran out.

If anyone out there does have links to where a like new or "unissued" M48 can be bought for less than $280. Please post the information.

#14 ·
Unissued rifles always command a premium over merely excellent ones, but like anything else, the price is determined by supply and demand. The particular problem with M48s is that there are a lot of unissued ones, increasing the supply and there are even more excellent ones, decreasing the demand for unissued. My experience is that the premium for M48s is only about 20% max.

There are also differences within unissued rifles. Some have "force" matched parts that have been lined out and renumbered, while others are matching. Some have new accessories and bayonets, while others have used accessories. Obviously, the new matching ones are worth more.

$250-350 would be a good price range

#16 ·
Handling marks?
In the warehouse somewhere in Serbia...
View attachment 108961

M48bo from Mitchell's. Got it 5 years ago before I new better.
I test fired this one with 20rds. Haven't shot it since. (couldn't tell you why. I guess because it is so 'new,' no character.)
Unfired? no.
I would still call it 'unissued.'
View attachment 108962

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.