What type of recoil pad do you like best?

Thread: What type of recoil pad do you like best?

Question What type of recoil pad do you like best?

I have one of the Caldwell recoil pads that you wear, the Field pad, but even so my M44 still rouughs me up bad. I am looking for something heavier.

Hickok45 uses slip-on type pads I see, and my father always preferred those, too. My dear friend and GB member gunhorde is tough as nails, and doesn't need one.

What type do you like/prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by bao tze 包子 View Post
    I have one of the Caldwell recoil pads that you wear, the Field pad, but even so my M44 still rouughs me up bad. I am looking for something heavier.

Hickok45 uses slip-on type pads I see, and my father always preferred those, too. My dear friend and GB member gunhorde is tough as nails, and doesn't need one.

I thought Gunhorde uses minipads........I have a PAST that I use sometimes. It works well for me. Denny

I had stopped using Limbsavers a few years back because they had started to deteriorate but I read that it was a manufacturing defect and that it has been fixed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Past for me, sometimes I fold a bath towel and wrap it around my neck and drape it over the pad too...old bones and too many crates of Yugo 8mm surplus at $90 a case of 900...

Thick hunting jacket...takes care of even light weight 300 mag.

There is nothing better than the steel butt-plates. Pull 'em in tight and they won't bite. Besides that, when you run outta ammo, you can't knock off someone's block with rubber. I am an old man and I could used improved sights, but the original configuration of butt-plate is fine with me.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by bao tze 包子 View Post

I have a couple of different sized Limbsavers for different rifles. For my M44, I have one of those rubber buttplate replacements, more for additional length it gives me (I have long arms) than for the padding.

Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Good Lord I am 72 years old, out of shape, and had my right shoulder torn up in a race car! I tuck the dang rifle into my shoulder and hold it there and I am fine? Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Newbie and 76 years old I may be but with my MN91-30 and VEPR 7.62 x 54r I also have found that he who holds one of these loosely will get bitten!
    I felt much better after 11/6/2012

If you use any slip on rubber pad, make sure to remove it from time to time and clean and oil the covered wood. I have a Romanian m44 that was ruined from water damaging the covered wood of the pad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3351.jpg   IMG_3352.jpg  

Excellent advice^

Hard Izhevsk steel

Our local wally world sells the limb saver butt pads. I have two of them both on Remington police 870 shotguns and they work fine. Might want to check out your local wally world. Frank

A slip on butt pad plus a PAST Magnum shoulder pad all but eliminates pain froma rough kicking rifle.
    Do not leave the slip on on the stock or risk rust or discoloration of the wood.
    Keep the PAST in your range box.

If you really want to tame it ... a 5" 12oz mercury recoil tube inserted in the stock soaks up a good 50% of felt recoil.
    For a "custom" (otherwise Bubba and not in original condition), a screw on small Limb Saver Butt pad is OK.

Black and blue is not a badge of courage! It is the sign of damage and bleeding from repeated hammering. Tiny stress fractures to bone can and do happen.
    Don't injur or debilitate yourself when there are inexpensive solutions readily available.

I can shoot my "custom" M44 with a Limb Saver Pad and mercury recoil tube, wearing a T-Shirt, all day long or several hundred rounds with no discomfort or bruising whatsoever.
    All of my hard hitting "shooters", including the shotguns have similar modifications. You can even make a .338 Win Mag pleasing to shoot!
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.
    Thomas Jefferson

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

I do just fine with the iron one that came on the rifle.

I just tuck it in tight, and have never had a recoil issue with one.

I have a slip on recoil pad that I bought for a Stevens 311 shotgun I have. I tried it one time on a Mosin, but I don't really like it. I prefer to just use the sling and hold it tight against my shoulder. No recoil pad needed that way.
    "Always bring a hammer to a stick fight."-nassaulakes

"I would gladly trade you all my charlston chews for all of your .22"
    - mat!_SW

Thumbs up

Many thanks to all who replied, I appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    +100^5
    Fine Print:
    The preceeding opinion should be considered only as an opinion and not legal advice. In no event will the poster, Unbekannt, be held liable to any party for any damages arising in any way out of the availability, use, reliance on or inability to use poster's opinion or any information provided by or through the poster, or for any claim attributable to errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in, or destructive properties of any information provided by or through the poster.

wink2

Slip on gummy rubber from eBay seems to work fine, but I don't need one. Squeeze it tight against a shoulder.

I have fired over 350 rounds through Mosins in a day with no bruises off sandbags using no pad, but I may be a glutton for punishment.

If you really are getting beaten up, get a small thin sandbag to put against the rifle but before your shoulder, no joke, until you get used to the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I thought Gunhorde uses minipads........I have a PAST that I use sometimes. It works well for me. Denny
    I've got a Limbsaver that I've used for years. It's lightweight enough in the summer heat but still provides some protection. That being sad, it's NOT heavy enough to prevent shoulder bruising, but I tend to fire 100's of rounds of 8mm and 7.62x54R on a single range trip.

I only use the "mini-pads" when I'm firing my Mini-Gun...
    Gunhorde

Milsurps - like legal crack

3782 posts on the previous G.B. V.3

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Thick hunting jacket...takes care of even light weight 300 mag.
    That's not a practical solution when it's 115+ degrees in the shade in August.
    Gunhorde

Milsurps - like legal crack

3782 posts on the previous G.B. V.3

I have a light jacket that I sewed a pocket on the inside of the shoulder to hold a couple of gel shoe insoles.

Quote Originally Posted by gunhorde View Post
    I've got a Limbsaver that I've used for years. It's lightweight enough in the summer heat but still provides some protection. That being sad, it's NOT heavy enough to prevent shoulder bruising, but I tend to fire 100's of rounds of 8mm and 7.62x54R on a single range trip.

I only use the "mini-pads" when I'm firing my Mini-Gun...
    That was a good one . Hope your leg is doing better. Denny

What's a recoil pad...?
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by gunhorde View Post
    That's not a practical solution when it's 115+ degrees in the shade in August.
    I quit shooting up here in WA when it is 5 degrees outside & who wants to hold a gun when it is 115 outside....not me!

I have been to that little gambling city South of Vegas....Laughlin when it was 115 in the shade in mid June.....that kind of heat sucks the breath out of you....

Pahtu.

I use a Limbsaver slip-on pad at the range. Mosin-Nagant stocks are about an inch too short for me. I don't use it all of the time or for hunting. It does a good job.
    "You'd know what it is if you needed one!"

Limbsaver size small. It will mess up the shellac on an M44 refurb though.

With Bill on this.

Iron butt-plate and just hold it well into your shoulder. My daughter shoots well without any fancy stuff and she's a little wisp of a lass. Shoots the Martini -Henry and Snider prone.
    My advice is just get used to holding a rifle right. No need for wussy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Big thank you for turning me onto these pads. Been using Limbsavers and they're fine, but ordered a ShootersPads after seeing your post. Never heard of them. Tried them on my new acquisition of M38 and wow. Nice product.

Thanks for the heads up!

Attachment 2079154