Knob Creek Questions and or discussion

Thread: Knob Creek Questions and or discussion

Default Knob Creek Questions and or discussion

I would like to make my first trip to Knob Creek. I don't know anyone that has been, so I have a lot of questions. Feel free to write about your overall experiences whether they are positive or negative.

1. Are there plenty of nearby hotel/motel rooms? I have read that people also camp out, but that is not for me.

2. I assume vendors that you buy something large from would let you leave it with them until you leave?

3. Does one price get you in? Do you buy in advance? Do they charge for each day as in a separate charge vs. one ticket for the whole event? Are the machine gun shoots separate from the vendors as in separate charge?

4. I won't be bringing any of my machine guns to shoot.

5. How friendly is the whole experience, or is it just a big commercial production?

6. Is it wall to wall people, or is it a huge area that is spread out?

Thanks,

Tribrotheres

Quote Originally Posted by tribrothers View Post
    I would like to make my first trip to Knob Creek. I don't know anyone that has been, so I have a lot of questions. Feel free to write about your overall experiences whether they are positive or negative.

1. Are there plenty of nearby hotel/motel rooms? I have read that people also camp out, but that is not for me.
    yes. just book early

2. I assume vendors that you buy something large from would let you leave it with them until you leave?
    yes

3. Does one price get you in? Do you buy in advance? Do they charge for each day as in a separate charge vs. one ticket for the whole event? Are the machine gun shoots separate from the vendors as in separate charge?
    pay 1 time. 1 or 2 days

4. I won't be bringing any of my machine guns to shoot.
    10 year wait to get a spot on the firing line

5. How friendly is the whole experience, or is it just a big commercial production?
    its great

6. Is it wall to wall people, or is it a huge area that is spread out?
    depends on the time. night shoot is packed

Thanks,

Tribrotheres
    <(*!*)>
    I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.

Depends on what you think "nearby" is, the wife and I stay closer to louisville. But it's not a bad drive down(30mins) It's allways been a friendly experience, just be prepared to walk alot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

There are plenty of rooms, but the longer you wait, the further out you will stay or the higher the price. Admission $15 a day and there is a weekend pass for I think $30 for all 3 days. (check their website). It's commercial in a Kentucky sort of way. Most everyone is friendly except a few vendors......like any other gunshow in that respect. Friday attendance is not extremely crowded, Saturday picks up late afternoon as locals gather to watch the night shoot. Sunday is crickets ghost town, but vendors are required to stay most of the day. There are guns available for rent to shoot. There are line spots available, but you have to ask the guys on the line directly and set that up. Getting your own spot is a lengthy ordeal and a commitment. There are 3 passes/shooters per line spot and they can be rotated, so you can have a lot of shooters on a spot. I've seen a lot of empty or one guy per spot lately so there are positions available. You would want to set this up in advance before bringing any of your stuff to shoot. There is a lower line, but I don't know the details as I've never been down there in nearly 20 years of going. All I know is there are rentals down there and guys have brought their own stuff to shoot down there. HTH

A few more points:
    There are various matches that anyone can shoot in for the match fee: Submachine gun, semi-auto (assault) rifle, bolt-action military rifle, pistol and combat shotgun. I work as an RO on the subgun match, and it's always a lot of fun.
    The gun show is one of my favorite places. You will see guns, accessories, and parts that are unavailable anywhere else (except for SAR show West). I have two WWI machine guns, so I'm always looking for scarce parts and accessories.
    Friday is the best day for shopping as it's less crowded than Saturday, and whatever you are looking for is less likely to be sold out.
    Sunday is good for bargain-hunting as folks would rather sell it than pack it up.
    If you haven't seen the night shoot, it's an experience. Find a good spot early and make sure that your ear plugs fit well!

The last few times I've gone I stayed in Elizabethtown about a 15 minute drive. Plenty of hotels if you book a couple of months out.
    I only go Friday, the crowd is smaller and I've shot the old bolt action match the last two trips and it is on Friday.
    If you've never been it's a "must do" at least once.

Thank you everybody. If anybody has any interesting stories or experiences, I would definitely appreciate you all sharing. This is exactly the kind of information that will help me. As for driving from the hotel, I live in Texas where we don't go by distance, but how many hours away it is LOL.

Thanks again,

Tribrothers

Forgot to mention PARKING!!!
    Knob Creek has two seasons; Dust or Mud. The parking lot will be full of one of those. Getting there early will help you get a parking place with less of those. Make sure that your windshield washer bottle is full before going. If it's mud, avoid low spots.
    Arriving early will also help you get a parking place closer to the entrance. Some of the parking is a pretty good walk away. Handicap parking is limited, so even if you have a placard, getting there early is a good idea.

There are shuttles for taking you in or out. A good idea if you have several cases of ammo to get to your car!
    On Saturday, traffic in and out is a real bear. Be patient. Many people will come only for the night shoot. So there will be a lot of folks both coming and going Saturday afternoon.

Something important I forgot to ask.

Is the Knob Creek gun show part a cash only sales, or do many or most take debit/credit cards? Having a large amount of cash while going down the highways from Texas could throw up red flags if one is pulled over for a routine traffic stop. I have seen TV specials where they seize everything based on an offices suspicions and of course their department gets to keep seized assets.

Not trying to paranoid, but if I don't have to carry cash, I won't.

Thanks again,

Tribrothers

Cash is king. Always.
    edit: I carry a lot of cash at some of the larger shows I sttend. My attorney once suggested that I retain withdrawal and deposit slips. That's one option to cover yourself. Another, he thoughtfully reminded me of was to not get pulled over in the first place and if I did do something to draw attention to me/get pulled over, was to never answer more than the basics (ID yourself, and say "yes" and "no"), never ever volunteer anything, and above all to never consent to a search. Probably not what you were hoping to hear, but hopefully it at least provides some useful context.
    Last edited by Bill_in_VA; 03-06-2017 at 07:16 PM.

The deposit slips and withdrawals make sense, and now that you wrote that, I guess I could also print out the current back statement showing it all being pulled out.

About 20 years ago 20/20 or some other show was responding to people being pulled over and some having cars taken without anything except suspicion. They had ten or more cameras showing all angles and the dash board. When the were pulled over I believe on I-10, the officer said the were swerving, not maintaining their lane and speeding. Of course they had the officer on tape and their driving was perfect. They took it all to the police chief who couldn't say much because all the cameras proved that the officer was lying, that he just wanted to pull them over with the hopes of confiscation.

I wonder if one had a Bank letter of check guarantee with them for the Knob Creek show being named. Not to actual use, but as further evidence of what the money was for and a back up if the cash wasn't enough.

One day they will have trained the new generations that cash is evil that only evil people use cash.

Tribrothers

I can think of two or three vendors that take CC offhand. Phone service is sketchy at best and the mobile connection for even those that do have machines is tough. I think by the time you have to show slips from your bank to a cop, that means the cash has already left your hands and is unlikely to be returned. Every car I've seen searched, the guy is already cuffed and stuffed and past the point of reasoning? If you are afraid to travel across the country with cash that's not good in many respects. A few friends and I have often speculated about how much cash is wandering the grounds at any one time? I know quite a few that have tens of thousands along and I've seen guys come with $100 and leave with 10K. I had a guy not bring enough cash and spend $125 on shipping his stuff until his check cleared.....don't be that guy, it sucked for both of us. He could have hand carted his stuff to his car for free and saved me 45 minutes and risk of shipping. Cash and carry!

Parking can be a problem. Parking lots are on high and low ground. Often rains flood the lower areas and the upper areas turn to mud. They have tractors to pull you out but you can loose several hours trying to get out. We arrive around 6am to get in line on the highway to get a higher elevation parking place. Food is good and cheap. Excellent food in Elizabethtown. We never had a problem getting a room on Thursday night as we left Friday. Worst memories was doing Knob Creek Friday to 11AM and leaving for the Tulsa big show to be in line there at 7am Saturday.

I forgot, bring ear protection. You need ear muffs while attending the gun show as well as the shooting events.

Quote Originally Posted by breakeyp View Post
    I forgot, bring ear protection. You need ear muffs while attending the gun show as well as the shooting events.
    What he said!!!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^PLUGS AND MUFFS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When the mini gun starts ripping, it shakes your bones.
    And we didn't blow up, so we got that going for us. Which is nice.

On top of the world, looking down on creation

The noise can wear on you after a while.

The pole barn where the gun and parts sales are occurring is within spitting distance of the firing line. Walking around a gun/parts show wearing ear muffs is an interesting experience. You really can't have a conversation while they are firing.

I love their gun show and vendor offerings. I don't go to watch machine guns, I go back for the best deals and variety you can probably find in parts.

I've gone in there looking for some pretty esoteric stuff like a K98az bolt or a Remington stamped 1903 sight hood. Check, found them at Knob Creek, not Show of Shows or National Gun Day.
    "We thought about it for a long time, 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union." Lone Watie

My buddy was in a portajohn when the recoiless rifle fired. The back blast raised the john enough that he had problems getting himself back together and dry. Next meet, they moved the john to a safer area.

I will take note about the port a john distance from the line LOL. Explain to your wife and kids why your clothes are soiled LOL. My Sons would never let me forget it and I doubt that the coin laundry would clean them enough. If you were married and threw them away, well some women get jealous over much less.

Thank you all for your insights and experiences!

Tribrothers