Default MAS 36 barrels & FR-F1

I should finally get around to completing my FR-F1 replica this winter. If any of you remember, about 6 or 7 years ago there was a contact on these boards from France that had a very small number of new old stock FR-F1 parts. I purchased one and it includes the complete, unfinished stock group with all spacers, cheek rest, pistol grip, etc. I also got the adjustable target trigger group.

I have the basic machining complete to fabricate the flash suppressor/barrel tuning weight and to install a modified MAS 49/56 magazine in the receiver. The magazine has to be modified to remove the bolt hold-open and that portion of the mag that contains it.

But I don't like the looks of the barrel at all. When the original MAS forearm is removed, you can see that the barrel has several diameters with abrupt steps that doesn't look at all like the FR-F1 barrels. It is also shorter and thinner. I would like to change out the barrel.

Does anyone know what the thread is in the MAS receiver? Are there any direct replacement barrels available, or is my only recourse a custom barrel from a gunsmith? Also, does anyone have a MAS 36 receiver available?

I will attach a few photos of the progress so far. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FR-F1 project01.JPG   frf1-magazine.jpg  

Default FRF1

The barrel thread into the receiver is 25mm dia, 1.5mm pitch, right hand small ISO standard, 22mm long. The FRF barrel is 600mm long without the flash hider.

Trying to fit a Mas 49 magasine into a Mas 36 receiver is not recommended as it would require internal milling of the receiver that would reduce its strength beyond safety.
    A small quantity of FRG2 rifles was made for the French Air Force based on Mas 36 receivers, a specific magasine was designed for them

The FRF design is close to that of the Mas 36 but its receiver is oversized, with thicker walls, a larger well and a smaller top opening, the bolt body design is different (lugs).

kelt
    Last edited by kelt; 11-05-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: edited thread direction

Thanks for the thread specs. The strength is why I decided to start over with another receiver. After completing the milling to fit the magazine and trying to measure the new cross sectional area as best as I can, it would have to be limited to rather low pressure rounds. Starting with a different magazine is a better strategy.

Dennis

Denny love that wood set you got there I would love to find at least forearm and bipod set for my attempt at frf1 clone myself. Have you figured out what kind of mag might fit in the well without machining the receiver out.
    Please post if you know of any sources for wood sets and or bipod hardware.
    Thanks for sharing the pics.

Tony

The magazine designed to fit in the Mas 36 receiver used to build FRG rifles without machining is much slimmer than the FRF magazine similar in size to the FSA magazine.

1st pic FRG mag on the right, FRF mag on the left
    The two magazine hold 10 rounds, the slimmer FRG mag is higher than the FRF mag.

2nd pic is of a FRG2 used by the French Air Force.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gauche FRF droite FRG.jpg   FRG2 armée de l'air.jpg  

Thanks for the photos of the FR-G2, information on this version has been really hard to find. Are these FR-G2 magazines available at all? Denny

The dedicated FRG2 mags are very hard to get, no dealer has them anymore!

kelt

A gunsmith in the south of France made FRF1 replicas with 36 receivers in the 80's. Anybody knows what mags they used?

Hi Kelt,

How does the magazine catch function, does it pivot downward to release the magazine? Are there any sketches or cross section views available to show how it works inside? In the attached photo, what does the 'bearing' do? Thanks, Dennis

Oops, here is the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fr-right.jpg  

"The barrel thread into the receiver is 25mm dia, 1.5mm pitch, left hand small ISO standard, 22mm long." Kelt

Kelt, on another French forum I noticed that when you gave the specs for the MAS 36 barrel threads, you did not indicate left hand. And it has been confirmed on that forum that an SKS barrel will fit the MAS receiver, so I'm thinking it is standard, right hand threaded?

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
    "The barrel thread into the receiver is 25mm dia, 1.5mm pitch, left hand small ISO standard, 22mm long." Kelt

Kelt, on another French forum I noticed that when you gave the specs for the MAS 36 barrel threads, you did not indicate left hand. And it has been confirmed on that forum that an SKS barrel will fit the MAS receiver, so I'm thinking it is standard, right hand threaded?

Dennis
    My mistake! the barrel thread is indeed right hand, goes from left to right like an honest corkscrew!

I will correct the offending post right away.

kelt

Default Status of fr-f1

I am interested on how things are going with your fr-f1 copy? Where did you get your barrel, because I've been searching for one for a year-and-a-half now with no luck. Do you have any more pics? Did you find a suitable magazine system etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by guerinme View Post
    I am interested on how things are going with your fr-f1 copy? Where did you get your barrel, because I've been searching for one for a year-and-a-half now with no luck. Do you have any more pics? Did you find a suitable magazine system etc.?
    Things have been a bit slow, I have been upgrading my milling machine with a DRO, power feed, etc. But that is all done and I'm back working on the rifle.

There are no ready made barrels, you would have to have one custom threaded by a gunsmith or other machinist. My barrel is from ER Shaw. I ordered it in .308, long chambered and will machine the threads and finish fitting the chamber myself.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/contact.asp

I found a contact in France who got me the blueprints for the magazine release system, so that helps a lot.

I am using FAL magazines as a starting point. They are the thinnest .308 magazines I could find, and fairly short also to minimize machining of the receiver. I modified one mag to directly insert into the MAS 36 receiver, but it ends up with too much taper in the front and does not present the cartridges properly. The next step is to machine down the ribs inside the receiver to fit a stock FAL mag. I'm just making up some fixtures to hold the receiver now.

Dennis

Be aware that the FRG rifles built in France for the Air Force bases safety units altough based on the Mas 36 receiver used a specific magazine thinner than the FRF1's mag allowing a fit in the Mas 36 receiver without weakening it by internal milling.

kelt

Quote Originally Posted by kelt View Post
    Be aware that the FRG rifles built in France for the Air Force bases safety units altough based on the Mas 36 receiver used a specific magazine thinner than the FRF1's mag allowing a fit in the Mas 36 receiver without weakening it by internal milling.

kelt
    Thanks, Kelt. I haven't been able to find a measurement of how wide the FRG magazine is, obviously it is thinner than a FR-F1 or 49/56 magazine. But I have several good photos of the FRG magazines from you, and they are rectangular, not tapered, so it seems to indicate they thinned the internal ribs on the MAS 36 a bit to fit them. Possibly just the forward rib, which is thicker than the rear rib. If you ever get a chance to measure a magazine from an FR-G2 it would be great.

I have already reworked FAL magazines to fit directly into an normal MAS 36 receiver, but because the distance between the forward ribs is narrower than the rear ribs, it produces a tapered magazine. This tapered magazine ends up quite narrow in the front, and the catridges simply do not fit properly, or feed correctly. The FRG magazine is definitly *not* made that way, so if I can ever get a measurement of the width of one, it really answers the question of what needs to be done to replicate the way the FRG's were produced.

Dennis

sir it 2010. I am now try to build my fr1 clone. back 3 yrs ago you were on this project,& i cannot look at the pictures you had posted. any help short cuts would be appreciated thanks david

sir could you please send the pictures of the frg2 mags. I cannot access them thru gunboards. im working on my fr1 clone & it will be built off a mas36 receiver thanks for any help thanks david

I'd like to see a scan of the blueprints for that magazine release, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ben raines View Post
    sir could you please send the pictures of the frg2 mags. I cannot access them thru gunboards. im working on my fr1 clone & it will be built off a mas36 receiver thanks for any help thanks david
    Here are various pictures of magazines. The FR-F1 and FR-G2 magazine comparison photo is from Kelt, I believe. The others are photos of my NOS FR-G magazines I imported from France a year or so ago. I labeled them FR-G1, I guess they are really FR-G2.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR-G1magazine03..jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	298481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR-F1_and_G2_ maga&#.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	298482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR-G1magazine01..jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	298483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR-G1magazine02..jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	298484

Dennis

sir could you please re post the pictures & explain how the mag release works? I am working on a fr1 clone off a mas 36

sir how did your fr1 clone turn out? any pictures hints, would be apprecated. thanks david.

Any progress on these projects?