Turkish Winchester 1866 Musket - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkish Winchester 1866 Musket

You do not tell what special is the winchesters captured from plevna.
    Yes you have several books so I also have
    You have earlier put the table in this webb where are the list of Turkish orders of winchesters.
    What book is table from.Attachment 1961673

Missing from the family picture are Berdan 1 and the Evans, so I am showing them separately.
    What is serial no of this Evans rifle ?
    Evans rifles were not in use in Russo-Turkish war

I sold and Evens non military in ronoake va show back in the middle 1990's...excellent condition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 71/84 View Post
    Missing from the family picture are Berdan 1 and the Evans, so I am showing them separately.
    What is serial no of this Evans rifle ?
    Evans rifles were not in use in Russo-Turkish war
    You should know that this model was not serially numbered. Only the old model had serial numbers. The numbers on the new model are assembly numbers. Why do you need to know the number of my Evans?

And yes, the Evans fought in the Russo-Turkish war. There is a book on that company that cites archival documents and deliveries to both Turkey and Russia.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Attachment 1961993This evans of yours have never seen Russia. I have had in my hands 22 Evans muskets and carbines.
    All Evans supplied to Russia have serial no's , Evans had supplied to Russia about 300 weapons for tests. Biggest serial no' I have seen is 268.
    Those serial no's have put in the weapon By Russians.
    If you look the photo you see differences in you carbine and the picture.
    This one is supplied to Russia. Navy accept the Evans for use and made order 10 000 but Company was in bankropt.
    so no more Evans was supplied. Today main part of those are in museums in Russia
    we have 5 Evans in Finland
    This is the Evans history in Russo Turkish war. So not in there.

Attachment 1961993This evans of yours have never seen Russia. I have had in my hands 22 Evans muskets and carbines.
    All Evans supplied to Russia have serial no's , Evans had supplied to Russia about 300 weapons for tests. Biggest serial no' I have seen is 268.
    Those serial no's have put in the weapon By Russians.
    If you look the photo you see differences in you carbine and the picture.
    This one is supplied to Russia. Navy accept the Evans for use and made order 10 000 but Company was in bankropt.
    so no more Evans was supplied. Today main part of those are in museums in Russia
    we have 5 Evans in Finland
    Your photos are not displaying here. At least not for me.
    "Get your facts first and then you can distort 'em as much as you please"--Mark Twain

This is what one Finnish book says (yes, I have it and I am completely unimpressed with it). There is a lot more to the story of the Evans in Russia, with which four cruisers were armed, but that's a different story. This thread is on the Turkish Winchesters.

The Evans was used by Turkey during the Russo-Turkish War and some of them were captured by the Russians. Judging by your rather categorical "So not there" I don't think you are familiar with this part of the battle use.

Here are some scans of the quite mediocre Finnish book on the European rifles. It appears you are the author? I apologize for being straightforward on my opinion. My opinion is also shared by several Russian historians who found many mistakes on the subject of the Evans.

PS. The numbers on the New Model Evans are not serial numbers, but batch/assembly numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Military Rifles in Europe 1867-1886, p 185.jpg   Military Rifles in Europe 1867-1886  Cover.jpg   Military Rifles in Europe 1867-1886, p 184.jpg  

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

There are stories and stories.
    Russians had only ab 300 Evans for tests and you see in pictures what is different in carbines yours and the book.
    Amount what Turks have Evans I do not have any indictions.
    Russian Historians it would be good to know the names.
    Thank you for constractive worlds of the book.
    You have not the first who say there are some mistakes. I agree today I know more than 2 years ago.
    Tell me one book where are no mistakes.

This thread would be so much better if we could actually POST PICTURES!!!
    In Memorium:
    LST 941 - GM1c

You can view pics of my collection here.

I have been reading this thread with some interest although I am an admitted amateur in this area. I believe it is documented that Winchester did make those muskets and carbines in the quantities noted. And if so where did they end up and what was the disposition of them after they were deemed no longer serviceable? I remember 40 + years ago seeing some surplus ads for Winchester muskets but these were not extensive. Unless they were destroyed they apparently have vanished into thin air. Is it possible the are still stored away in some obscure govt. warehouse somewhere?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by italiansport View Post
    Unless they were destroyed they apparently have vanished into thin air.
    That's my feeling, too. Where did they go, so many of them? We know the Turkish military didn't accept them, despite the guns being purchased in large numbers. Only the use by the irregulars has been documented.

Those winchesters are in the markets you can see them in auctions.
    I have collected serial no's of those war booty winchesters and made stydy of those serial no,s
    Fact is that 90 % of M1866 winchester muskets made 1871-1877 have been in Ottomans use
    How many of those have Turkish engravings difficult to no but not thousands.
    Also same are carbines.maybe 60 % or more.
    There are not any stock of the weapons.

Fact is that Serbians got 800 as war booty
    so also Bulgarians. Russians got more than 200 All Russian museum have those winchesters
    We have ab. 12 in finnnish collectors what are war booty ones.
    St Peterburgs artillery museum have 12 Winchesters.

Paavo,

Indeed there are many Winchesters handed over as captures or reparations (the Serbians didn't fight at Pleven or any other major battle in the Russo-Turkish War). The thread is about the rarity of the muskets, which is rather puzzling, considering that the Turks purchased three times as many muskets as carbines. Sometimes I think this is a typical Oriental hoax, money was spent, the goods were declared delivered, but in reality the money went into somebody's pockets and the goods were only delivered on paper. Remember that the purchase of the Winchesters was not handled directly by the Turkish ministry of defense (or whatever they called it), but by a private firm. Also remember the story with the purchase of the Peabody-Martini rifles, where the Turkish officials demanded kickbacks in order to approve the deal.

Then the thread branched off to the alleged use of the Winchesters at the defense of Pleven, which was refuted by the Turks themselves. Another persistent canard...

So if you have any historic documents regarding the use of Winchester 1866 in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 I would love to see them!

Russians had only ab 300 Evans for tests.
    Most likely these were the rifles with which the four Russian auxiliary cruisers were armed. In 1877 Russia purchased four ships from the US - Zabiyaka, Asia, Africa & Europe ("Забияка", "Азия", "Африка" и "Европа"). They were intended to raid British merchant ships as with the start of the war England declared that they will not abide by the "privateer convention" and will attack all Russian ships. The boarding commands of these four ships were armed with the Evans. 300 rifles is a large number for just testing. Your book shows a carbine and a musket with modified lever lock by the Russians. The likely reason was the somewhat weak action of the Evans, which could unlock if worn (but that's just a plausible theory).

Here is the Evans action, not near as strong as Spencer's:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evans 17.jpg  

Hello Nick
    Interesting theory, but not work
    I have collected serial no's of war booty winchesters and I found weapons from all contracts (5)
    so you theory that contracts have only made in paper is not right.
    70 000 M 1866 is not big amount compared 600 000 peabody
    Aboult Evans there are some stories, but Russian bought test set what includes carbines and muskets.
    As in my book there are those 3 types of weapons they are a part of this lot.
    Evans did not made the serial no's but I have had in my hands 21 weapons of this lot.
    They all had serial no's and stamp in same tool.
    Biggest is 268 and all of those are in exellent condition so they have not been in the sea.
    I have seen this boat history maybe right.maybe not.
    Those weapons, if right, are not in Russian museums
    The book I made is European military rifles what had accepted oficially use of army.
    as I say in the book Evans was accepted By navy for replase the Albini Baranov rifle.
    Then note the time when the test lot was ordered 1877.
    From what Turkish book is the page where are the orders of winchesters you have in earlier noets.
    When I finnish my work with those serial no's of Turkish winchesters it is surprise for you

From what Turkish book is the page where are the orders of winchesters you have in earlier noets.
    See post #16, the book is shown there.

When I finnish my work with those serial no's of Turkish winchesters it is surprise for you
    I love surprises!
    Love puns, too: "When I finnish my Finnish book"...

Results will publish some were else
    In english
    thanks

Default Springfield M1866?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes, they do. There are several books where I cross-referenced this information:
    Nick,
    You picture a Turkish book which illustrates a Springfield M1866 trapdoor on the cover. Did the Tuerks actually obtain/use this model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turk book.jpg  

No reports on acquiring Trapdoors, just Winchesters and a large amount of Springfield muskets (I have also seen Colt Special Muskets in Bulgaria, captures or surplus guns). I also wondered why the main picture would be a gun that wasn't in Turkish inventory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12