Default Just bought a Persian Mauser, info please.

I bought a Persian Mauser today. Another one I don't know too much about. I think it is a Mod. 98/29. It shows some use, but it is in excellent condition. I hope this is the right forum. Here are some pics.

AC
    Last edited by AirCommando; 10-02-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded."
    -Captain Richard Winters
    Co E, 101st Airborne Division, WWII

They're great guns. Did you get it from Samco?

Yep, it's a persian 98/29 made by CZ Brno in Czechoslovakia between the wars. They were built by some of the best craftsmen at the the time and can hold their own against any of todays mass produced bolt action rifles when it comes to quality and precision. Yours looks to be in really good shape, Samco in Miami sells them for $499 in excellent condition and $699 in unfired condition. A bit hard to tell from the pictures but I would rate yours as excellent too

I didn't get it from Samco, although it is marked by them. I got it from my local milsurp dealer, he had it on consignment. I paid $350 for it, he couldn't come down. The bore is bright and shiny. I think that was a good price anyway. It doesn't have the cleaning rod. Anybody know where I could get one? Thanks, AC.

Update...got a cleaning rod from Samco.
    Last edited by AirCommando; 02-20-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    -Captain Richard Winters

Does anyone know if the marks stamped in the stock (I think they are British) signify some sort of British connection?

AC
    -Captain Richard Winters

Default Manufacturing date

Can anybody tell me when this rifle was made? I tried to go to a site to translate the markings, but I couldn't figure it out.

AC
    -Captain Richard Winters

Czech made, I believe.

Thanks scot, already know that; I would like to know what year the gun was made.
    -Captain Richard Winters

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Hi AC,
    Your rifle was made in the 1939-40 time frame, one of the last group made at Brno. The date is stated on the siderail as the model year, 1317. To convert a modern Iranian year to a western year, just add 622. However, since the Iranian New Year is celebrated on March 21st, their years do not convert neatly to ours, since the first 9 months fall in one of our years and the last 3 fall in the next.

CZB made 280,000 Model 98/29 long rifles, and many more were later made in Iran.
    Regards,
    John
    Last edited by John Wall; 02-21-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks John! I appreciate it.

AC
    -Captain Richard Winters

Don't forget the bayonets

Samco is selling minty bayonets too...This is a special model made only for export, and basically just Persia bought them, that uses a short clearing rod, and the inside of the tang is not cut for the long rod, so you have to use an Iranian rod with an Iranian Bayonet...

Nice gun. They did use a Limey pattern sling, Samco sells the excellent repro of that sling.

The marks are written with Arabic Alphabet, but they spell Parsii/Farsii words.....Since the West uses Arabic numbers, the Arabs got mad and adopted the Hindii numbers signs....Go figure!! The rear sight is a handy guide of numbers from 1 to 20...

Dale
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Brits in Persia....

Quote Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
    Does anyone know if the marks stamped in the stock (I think they are British) signify some sort of British connection?

AC
    You are right about the Limeys in Persia, they were there since 1854 when the Shah, Nassser Edin visited London. That is why they used Brit gear and guns for a long time, including Webley Revolvers and various long guns and carbines of British design and/or Manufacture. The Brits developed the Oil in Iran and were displaced in the early 50's by the "perfidious CIA and the American Oil Cartel"....I think that Mohammed Mussadegh was ousted by a CIA sponsored Coup, and the late Shah was installed, or re-installed as the case may be, Shah Rezi Pahlavi was ousted by the Ayatolla when Carter was President, I think it was 1979 or so.....

I am at work and do not have my references handy...so this might be off by a few years.

Dale
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Thanks for that information, Dale, and the compliment. I did buy a bayonet from Samco for it, but I haven't tried to mount it. Nice bayo, just keeping it because I could get one!

I think these marks are some kind of inventory by the British.

AC
    Last edited by AirCommando; 02-21-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    -Captain Richard Winters

Air commando - My Persian shot pretty high at 100 yards. I found a load using 175 gr. Sierras and IMR 4064 that came down to point of aim nicely.

What sort of ammo are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by oldscot3 View Post
    Air commando - My Persian shot pretty high at 100 yards. I found a load using 175 gr. Sierras and IMR 4064 that came down to point of aim nicely.

What sort of ammo are you using?
    I haven't shot it yet, but I have some S&B 196gr FMJ for it.
    -Captain Richard Winters

That is a fine looking Persian. Smooth aren't they?

I think you did just fine on price. You sure could not buy something that well built for $350 today!

Now you will have to start wondering about Paul Mauser's younger, dumber brother, you know, the one who designed those tiny little sights.
    Buck Melanoma...Moldy Russell's Wart

Default 98/29

You will really enjoy your new rifle AC, they are great shooters and well made. Another variation between the early (1309) and late date (1317) 98/29's is the rifling styles. The first model uses a standard 4 groove pattern while the later guns (like yours) use the "broad land" rifling in which the lands and grooves are basicaly reversed. CZB testing showed longer service life. JH

I agree with Hammett regarding the sights. My old eyes have a hard time with the inverted v front sight. Oberndorf makes a replacement front sight that is a blade type. But, you've got to go shoot it first, and then post a range report, of course.

Speaking of the front sight guys, it's a neat thing. The all milled sight protector. Seems like it would not allow a higher front sight blade if you needed one.

AC
    -Captain Richard Winters

It's a marvel how they took the time and trouble to carve that out so beautifully from a single piece of steel. Wonderful craftsmanship not seen on any other variation of contract mauser (that I'm aware of).You may be right about not being able to go much taller; however, just a few thousandths can make a big difference.
    The thing that bothers my aging eyes, perhaps more than the height issue, is the shape. That pointed edge at the top of the "pyramid' is fuzzy to my vision, and therefore hard to position consistently with relation to the back sight. The Oberndorf sight I mentioned is a flat topped blade. It may open up another can of worms though, since the back sight is a vee notch. I may try one anyway, if I can confirm that the dovetail is correct.