Default 8MM Kurtz? (8MM Short?) Help!

What is 8MM Kurtz? What is it used in? AIM has it listed.

Cute little round. I have never seen rifles chambered for it or even seen a round in person.
    Could someone enlighten me and I'm sure others as well.

TIA

Draybo (feeling more than a little stoopid...)

Kurz=short, and if I recall correctly it was almost exclusively used by the STG/MP 44. That would make this round basically useless to those of us that don't have the class III liscense, and the thousands of dollars it would require to purchase the assualt rifle that fires this round.

basicly 8mm kurz or short ,,the ussr 7.62x39 is kinda close,,fired in the STG43/44 assult rifle the stamped one

Is the bullet dia on the kurtz 7.92?
    1 EYE

Yup, it's 7.92X33, and it would be cool to have a firearm that fires this round. Any semi MP44 kit builders out there?

Has this caliber ever been made in any other sort of weapon? I want a gun chambered in it because it's such a cool looking ammo, much like i want a rifle in the 8mm lebel round (i know they're around somewhere for decent prices, just need to find one.)I know there is a company in germany that makes $3000 repros of the mp-44 but of course the BATFE won't let them import.

Here's what a google search gives me:
    http://www.marstar.ca/gf-SSD/SSD-BD-MP44.shtm

Oh, if only i had $3000. Or even better, the money to pay off my college tuition. Latter probably would be more important.

The 7,9x33mm Kurzpatrone is simply a shorteded 7,9x57mm Mauser cartridge with a lighter projectile. The Germans experimented with the concept of the "intermediate" size cartridge before the war. They ended up using a shortened 7,9x57mm case and the same projectile diameter for ease of manufacturing due to wartime pressures. They could use a lot of common tooling for making barrels and the cartridges, etc.. IIRC the case is exactly 1" shorter. The MP-43/44 and Stg. series were the primary users of this caliber, but there were one or more "Volkssturm" type weapons chambered for it as well. Post WWII saw this cartridge being experimented with in some of the early CETME designs IIRC. So basicly it is a very interesting odd-ball cartridge with only one type of weapon using it in this country. I'd love to see the repros imported though! I suppose one could have a custom bolt action rifle built and chambered for this cartridge...

D.D.

The original design for the FAL was in 8mm Kurtz, though it was quickly changed to the .280. I have seen the spelling of this round as both "Kurtz" and "Kurz".

The round itself is very similar to the AK's 7.62x39. I have an MP44, and it is my favorite all around firearm. Until very recently, ammo was very scarce because of the rarity of the weapons using it. The ammo I have was made in East Germany during the early 60's. However, Prvi Partizan of Serbia recently did a big run of the ammo. I bought what I could, but other than the one run, I have not heard of any additional batches being made.
    Better living through superior firepower

original is kurz, there is more than one mauser 98 rifle rebarrel for the 8x33

some extremly acurrate like a 6mm benchrest

Sarco has some 7.92 kurz as well as recon ordnance company in wisconsin. (postwar)

i have a k98 in kurz its nice to shoot
    Turbo charger rebuilder and waste veg oil burner

You have a K98 in 8mm Kurz? I'd love one of those. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

D Day

I wonder if a chamber adaptor could be manufactured for 98k types?

Wait'll you run across 9MM Kurtz!

I stopped in a shop a few months ago looking for .380 for someone and asked if they had any.
    All they had was this stuff in the pictures below.
    I guess no one there reads the sides of the boxes.....

Default 8mm Kurtz

There is a fellow that frequents the same gunshop I do and he's always talking ballistics and calibers and on and on and on. Well one afternoon after work on my way home I stopped in and he comes up to me and pulls this cute little cartridge with what looks like a Match King HP bullet out of his pants pocket and asks "Know what this is?"

"Hmm, looks like an 8mm Kurtz." I says.

Took the wind right out of his sails (poor guy)! Anywho, the Smithy rebarreled one of the fellows Mod 70's to 8mm Kurtz. He said he was having feeding problems from the magazine and I have no idea the original chambering of the rifle.

He was loading a very light weight pill and according to him was chronoing 2700 FPS! Not bad! I have no idea how accurate it was but I will ask him the next time I see him.

Draybo : )