81mm 2-4 Passed Away - UPDATE 2/6/17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 81mm 2-4 Passed Away - UPDATE 2/6/17

Default 81mm 2-4 Passed Away - UPDATE 2/6/17

Hello all,
    Many members have sent Brannon payment for items. Calls and letters went unanswered. I called the local police about an hour ago for a welfare check, they went by his home and gave me a couple calls back before saying that they went out there 2 weeks ago and found he had passed away inside his home. So if you have any checks/money orders it would be a good time to cancel them. His niece who he told me was his closest living family is I believe handling everything but is unaware of this forum or Brannons deals with folks here.

Brannon Hutchinson(81mm 2-4) was a member here for a long while. I remember going down to Alabama and purchasing quite a bit from him. Calling him an avid collector would be an understatement due to his home being mostly filled(including spare bedrooms) with all sorts of neat firearms.

He was also a very nice person(and a bit nutty if you ask me haha). More importantly a Vietnam veteran who was kind enough to share with me some of his war stories and pictures. I would not call Brannon a friend as we did not know each other well, but he's certainly a person I'll never forget and am glad I met him.

RIP

I am sorry to hear that. I talked to him couple of times and bought from him great guy to deal with.
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
    Hello all,
    Many members have sent Brannon payment for items. Calls and letters went unanswered. I called the local police about an hour ago for a welfare check, they went by his home and gave me a couple calls back before saying that they went out there 2 weeks ago and found he had passed away inside his home. So if you have any checks/money orders it would be a good time to cancel them. His niece who he told me was his closest living family is I believe handling everything but is unaware of this forum or Brannons deals with folks here.

Brannon Hutchinson(81mm 2-4) was a member here for a long while. I remember going down to Alabama and purchasing quite a bit from him. Calling him an avid collector would be an understatement due to his home being mostly filled(including spare bedrooms) with all sorts of neat firearms.

He was also a very nice person(and a bit nutty if you ask me haha). More importantly a Vietnam veteran who was kind enough to share with me some of his war stories and pictures. I would not call Brannon a friend as we did not know each other well, but he's certainly a person I'll never forget and am glad I met him.

RIP
    I tried the police a week ago but they didn't return my calls/report. Thank you for the update.
    I had correspondence with Brannon 12/17, and he was saying something about it raining hard in Montgomery and it reminded him of Vietnam. Also he made comments about selling his collection off "because he can't take it with him." RIP, Brannon.
    I have said this before and this current situation is another example of many that I know of: make arrangements for your estate, and have a trusted firearms expert pre-planned to handle your collection. Brannon has passed with a large firearms collection and I hope that he made proper arrangements. All of us wheel-and-deal and pride ourselves on getting good deals and then when we pass without making arrangements, the whole collection is sold off for 25% of value. Pretty ironic.
    Protect your investment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Crap. He seemed to be a really nice guy. He gave me over a month to provide my newly renewed C&R for a recent purchase.
    OIF Camp Syverson Balad, Iraq 05-06

Sad to hear this news. I purchased a rifle a few months back from him. He sold his rifles at very good prices and always took good pictures with accurate descriptions.

Bought a few items from him last year. I talked to him on the phone a few times....great guy. Sorry to hear about this.
    Interested in acquiring a M28 ski trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Sad to hear this news. I purchased a rifle a few months back from him. He sold his rifles at very good prices and always took good pictures with accurate descriptions.
    Yeah, one of my finest swiss rifles is thanks to Brannon, and it was the last K11 that he had out of many. He promised to sell a ljungman one of these days, but was holding onto his favorite and "best stuff" to sell last.

Had another member message me asking for contact info for niece.

I'm going to try and get in contact with her and to see if I can at least help get your guys the guns you paid for or have your money orders/checks sent back. I have not gotten in contact with her yet but if I remember right she lived a ways away so I imagine she's not getting over there often.

Thanks for doing this, Alden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sad to loose a good member like 81.
    Thanks for pursuing this.
    And a great reminder for everyone else to be ready for that day we know will come.

Damn this sucks to hear. I too have done business with Brannon bought a few rifles off him too. Great guy to deal with.

Sorry to hear RIP. At least the police didn't clean his house out and pile all the guns on the sidewalk for a photo op like we have seen before.

At least I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by str8liner View Post
    Sorry to hear RIP. At least the police didn't clean his house out and pile all the guns on the sidewalk for a photo op like we have seen before.

At least I hope not.
    He was in Alabama, so his guns are safe. Here down south they leave our guns alone. Friend of mine died few months ago and his family wanted to turn his guns in thinking they have to do it because they were his, but cops told them do not do it. They said keep them or sell them, but do not turn them in.
    If he was in California, it would be different story.

I talked with Brannons niece today. First off Brannon really enjoyed the past few months he'd been selling stuff on here, mostly with interacting with people. You may have noticed Brannon would toss in a bayonet or a sling, whatever he could at no charge and made no mention of it because he wanted to make sure folks were happy with their purchases. He was selling off his collection to pay for a new home, I'm told he was extremely excited about this.

He did not show it but he had major PTSD, if you were lucky enough to be told the stories of his time in Vietnam, you'll know why he had these nightmares and panic attacks. This was part of the reason for him wanting to move away and start somewhere new.

Anyhow.. His niece told me relatives swooped in(who sadly according to both Brannon when he was alive and today talking to his niece wanted nothing to do with him until he was dead and then only to grab what they could) and picked his home clean(she believes) of firearms. They also took his mail which means those money orders and checks.. cancel them NOW unless you've received your items because from the sounds of it some relations may be cashing them.

She does have some boxes left with guns she is going to be sending out as she was the one helping him do that over the past 6 months. I don't know what guns, I don't know who to. Just give her some time. I offered to help her and told her to call if she needs help, beyond that I know nothing and out of respect to her I am not going to give out her information(Sorry guys).

RIP Brannon, glad to have met you.

How sad. Another reminder to everyone here to take steps to prepare.

Thank YOU for all you have done. People like you make this a great place to be.

Gary

Post office said I can't start the process until 30 days after the MO was made. It was made/sent Dec 19th. Is that right ? It would make sense to be able to cancel it right away wouldn't it?
    I hope I didn't make an anonymous donation to one of his no so liked family members.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

They also took his mail which means those money orders and checks.. cancel them NOW unless you've received your items because from the sounds of it some relations may be cashing them.
    Remember, you can check the status of a USPO money order online (if it's been cashed, contact the Postal Inspection division), and if it's a certified check contact the issuing institution and the postal inspector (stolen mail).

Quote Originally Posted by sek2dts View Post
    Post office said I can't start the process until 30 days after the MO was made. It was made/sent Dec 19th. Is that right ? It would make sense to be able to cancel it right away wouldn't it?
    I hope I didn't make an anonymous donation to one of his no so liked family members.

FYI to those who need to "cancel" this may not be a fast and easy process, and if it's USPS it's a 60+ day process.

I don't know about waiting 30 days to start the process, especially if you report the money order stolen and/or the recipient is deceased?

1. Go into your local post office branch.
    2. Request and fill out PS Form 6401 Money Order Inquiry Form.
    3. Give the form to the clerk for verification.
    4. Pay the $5.95 processing fee.
    5. Keep your receipt, with inquiry ID, in a safe place.
    5. Wait for the USPS to process your payment inquiry (this takes approximately 60 days) and mail you a resolution letter with their findings and further instruction.

Isn't taking someone mail unless your the power of attorney for the estate illegal?

Hate too hear this done too Brannon he was a good guy. And your right about the whole extra items in the rifles Alden. When I bought his MAS36/51 off him there was a sling for the rifle in there. My thought was I don't remember him saying a sling was part of the deal when I unpacked the rifle. Alden message me I may know someone that could help. If his niece is needing legal advise.

His niece told me relatives swooped in(who sadly according to both Brannon when he was alive and today talking to his niece wanted nothing to do with him until he was dead and then only to grab what they could) and picked his home clean(she believes) of firearms. They also took his mail which means those money orders and checks.. cancel them NOW unless you've received your items because from the sounds of it some relations may be cashing them.
    I'm not a lawyer, but just walking in the house and taking anything you want of the deceased's property (even if you are a relative and there is no will) could be considered theft or burglary. The property belongs to their estate, not to anyone who happens to share their blood. In a case with no will I think it is the State who appoints the executor.

And I would think stealing mail, USPS money orders and firearms would make any theft Federal in jurisdiction. The ATF might like to hear about this rather large theft of firearms. But proving it and getting anything back may be next to impossible.
    In Memorium:
    GM1c - LST 941

You can view pics of my collection here.

Niece said she's not sleeping or eating. Whenever the relatives talk to her it's apparently about what they can get rather than asking how they can help. I think she just wants it all over with, she's as disgusted as any of us over the situation but this is all on her shoulders right now. I don't think she's wanting to go that direction legally, I did inform her them cashing those money orders was against the law.

Maybe we'll hear from her, maybe we won't.

Anyone on the forum would have done this ny50, good group of people here. But thank you for the thank you

The will dictates who gets the decedent's property and in the absence of a will it has to go through probate to determine where the property goes. Family or not, they cannot simply blow in and loot his property (including mail!). She should call the local cops right away and have them speak with the locusts who stole from the estate.

Quote Originally Posted by JPM View Post
    The will dictates who gets the decedent's property and in the absence of a will it has to go through probate to determine where the property goes. Family or not, they cannot simply blow in and loot his property (including mail!). She should call the local cops right away and have them speak with the locusts who stole from the estate.
    Anyone could and should call the Montgomery police department to inform them of the crime that has occured.

Death and illness brings out the true nature in people. There's a lot of disgusting behavior when people pass or become invalid. My aunt had a useless cousin helping her after a small stroke, she had a much larger one and is now in long term care. He took my grandpa's Sweet 16 and Ruger .22 pistol because in his words he was afraid she was going to kill herself. She couldn't brush her own teeth, how was she going to load a gun? Also thousands missing from her bank account and jewelry that was my grandmother's is missing. He said he took it for safekeeping but has produced none of it. Most likely it's all long gone and used to buy drugs. It's sad that when people are hurting and dealing with loss their own family can be so terrible.

I know how it is guys been through it many times. I remember when my grandmother passed away. It wasn't two weeks she was in the ground the other grand kids were asking for their cut of the estate. They basically said we needed too sell everything now and get what we can get so they could get their money. It was disgusting.

Hey Alden, Brannon spoke well of you - I guess that we can all see why. Anyway, I sent you a PM.

Got some info that might help. This was the advise given too me by a friend who runs a law office.

First, all of that property belongs to his ESTATE. That's why we open estates/successions. All of the assets need to be accumulated, debts accumulated, then things distributed as he set forth in his will or as required by law if he didn't have one. That usually happens when there are fiends in the family, they descend upon an estate like vultures. Then, they end up fighting with each other legally for the remains. It can be a mess.

In short, they checks need to be returned, the obligations / purchases fulfilled, and the property held under administration until the estate is complete. That is why they have an administrator appointed and a lawyer handling it with court authority

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Got some info that might help. This was the advise given too me by a friend who runs a law office.

First, all of that property belongs to his ESTATE. That's why we open estates/successions. All of the assets need to be accumulated, debts accumulated, then things distributed as he set forth in his will or as required by law if he didn't have one. That usually happens when there are fiends in the family, they descend upon an estate like vultures. Then, they end up fighting with each other legally for the remains. It can be a mess.

In short, they checks need to be returned, the obligations / purchases fulfilled, and the property held under administration until the estate is complete. That is why they have an administrator appointed and a lawyer handling it with court authority
    Guys, I recommend certified mail. Sure it costs an extra $6, but you have proof of mailing, tracking, and proof of delivery to the individual who must sign for it.
    I have done this ever since an $1100 money order was lost in the mail and the crabby post office worker looked and me incredulously and said "you should have sent it certified mail." Took over 60 days and lots of stress/worry to get my $1100 back.
    My money order arrived "return to sender" today as Brannon was unable to sign for it.

I agree the niece should notify the authorities. Local, State, and ATF. Relatives descending on his home and picking it over like vultures is just plain wrong, not to mention illegal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Default Brannon Hutchinson, 81mm 2-4

Hi:
    My name is Joe Milliner, and I live in Baton Rouge, LA. I served with Brannon Hutchinson in the 81mm mortar platoon, Second Battalion, Fourth Marine Regiment, in 1965-66 in Vietnam. Both of us being from the South and avid college football fans, we became pretty good friends. I located Brannon 45 years later, about five years ago, and since then we have talked 30 mins. to an hour every week or two, especially in football season. Two days ago I realized we hadn't talked since before Christmas, and when I called his number I got the message that his phone was disconnected. Of course that concerned me, and when I did a Google search, I found this forum and your posts that Brannon had passed away. Of course it is a very sad day for me - I will miss the conversations we had. I live about six hours from Brannon, and always thought I would get by to see him at some point. Brannon did have some mental/emotional problems he was dealing with, but he was a good guy, as you guys who dealt with him obviously found out.

Anyway, my reason for contacting you is in the hope that you can help me get in touch with his niece. I don't have any business to conduct with her, just want to talk to her about Brannon and what happened. I kept meaning to ask Brannon for her number but, you know, you always think there is more time to take care of things like that. My email address is [email protected], and my telephone number is 225-270-5860. I would appreciate it if you could give me her telephone number and/or email address, if she is willing, or just pass along to her my contact information. I don't even know her name - just that she helped Brannon occasionally and apparently was the only family member that he trusted or liked. I hope, for her sake, that Brannon got his will made out to her as we had talked about several times.

I want to thank you very much for trying to help resolve the business problems caused by Brannon's untimely death, for his niece and the guys on here who had deals in the works.

RIP, Brannon Hutchinson.

Sorry for your loss.

UPDATE
    Just had the estate lawyer(s) give me a call.

From what I was told. Police that did the welfare check said there were wall to wall guns everywhere(exactly how I remember it).
    But someone has since broken in and stolen nearly everything. They said his books/paperwork/computer were all stolen. (I told them this sounded like someone that knew what they were doing).

Sadly with no bound book. And no computer.. They have no records of the likely hundreds of guns stolen.

They did say that there were a few guns there in boxes(likely meant for members here). They also did find about half a dozen payment letters(oddly not stolen) with money orders and checks likely from members here. Brannon did not have a will so the estate is in limbo right now but they are eventually going to get through it(I heard something about a few months) and hopefully return money orders/checks back to their owners. When it gets to that point they said they'd give me a call to see about getting you guys your guns. I gave them information on this forum so they may pop on?

Sadly along with the guns stolen, they stole his credit cards and "had a party" with them. To say im disgusted would be an understatement.

This is why you have a will and keep backups of your gun data somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jomill46 View Post
    Hi:
    My name is Joe Milliner, and I live in Baton Rouge, LA. I served with Brannon Hutchinson in the 81mm mortar platoon, Second Battalion, Fourth Marine Regiment, in 1965-66 in Vietnam. Both of us being from the South and avid college football fans, we became pretty good friends. I located Brannon 45 years later, about five years ago, and since then we have talked 30 mins. to an hour every week or two, especially in football season. Two days ago I realized we hadn't talked since before Christmas, and when I called his number I got the message that his phone was disconnected. Of course that concerned me, and when I did a Google search, I found this forum and your posts that Brannon had passed away. Of course it is a very sad day for me - I will miss the conversations we had. I live about six hours from Brannon, and always thought I would get by to see him at some point. Brannon did have some mental/emotional problems he was dealing with, but he was a good guy, as you guys who dealt with him obviously found out.

Anyway, my reason for contacting you is in the hope that you can help me get in touch with his niece. I don't have any business to conduct with her, just want to talk to her about Brannon and what happened. I kept meaning to ask Brannon for her number but, you know, you always think there is more time to take care of things like that. My email address is [email protected], and my telephone number is 225-270-5860. I would appreciate it if you could give me her telephone number and/or email address, if she is willing, or just pass along to her my contact information. I don't even know her name - just that she helped Brannon occasionally and apparently was the only family member that he trusted or liked. I hope, for her sake, that Brannon got his will made out to her as we had talked about several times.

I want to thank you very much for trying to help resolve the business problems caused by Brannon's untimely death, for his niece and the guys on here who had deals in the works.

RIP, Brannon Hutchinson.
    Sorry I did not see this until just now. I will contact you this evening. Thank you for posting.

Sadly along with the guns stolen, they stole his credit cards and "had a party" with them. To say im disgusted would be an understatement.
    Maybe they will be able to find them via the credit card usage? One can hope.
    In Memorium:
    GM1c - LST 941

You can view pics of my collection here.

Its a sad state all around. Family can be scumbags when it comes to $$$. As stated above his Will ( hope he wrote one) will spell out specifics on material assets ..... Someone should have secured the weapons asap now they may be used in a crime.. and loss of a bunch of money. I have a rock solid Will...the freaking state aint taking what I want to give away... St Judes and WWP.... If someone in the family would have taken a hour to pack up his gear...... sad all around.

Regret too see what has happen too Brannon like this. Burns me too the core. People that do this deserve a special place in hell IMO. I really hope too see some good turn out for his niece later on after this is over.

And Joe Milliner thank you for your service buddy. I had alot of great uncles that served many tours in Vietnam as well.

I helped with an estate a couple years ago - guy collected guns all his life, had a LOT of high end rifles, Colt SAAs and Machinegns. Loading room was next to his shooting bench inside where he could shoot on his 200 yd range. Guy Dies in the Hospital after a protracted illness. His Girl friends scumbag son broke in ans stole everything that was not nailed down. sold it "on the market" to fund drug habit. I got involved wit the MGs /SBRs and AOWs. FBI, BATF and State guys are involved. But because the scumbag is a Druggie, he does not suffer any real consequences other than a stint for theft...... all the guns, Dillon loaders, parts ammo etc are lost.

UPDATE
    Man that is really sad and boggles the mind why the Police would leave hundreds of guns in an unoccupied house. If ever the interest of "public safety" should be used by the Police that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverarms View Post
    Man that is really sad and boggles the mind why the Police would leave hundreds of guns in an unoccupied house. If ever the interest of "public safety" should be used by the Police that was it.
    Yes that is some crap police work. I guess that is the only good thing,.in a weird round about way, about the PRNJ. Those guns would be secured by the state if the family didn't get to them first.

Quote Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
    Yes that is some crap police work. I guess that is the only good thing,.in a weird round about way, about the PRNJ. Those guns would be secured by the state if the family didn't get to them first.

The guns are probably in the collections of the PD officers, emt's, coroners office people, etc, and then the neighbors picked through what was left,

Decades ago there was a common saying, "don't die with your jewelry on", applies to accessible guns as well,

Geez , I don't know what to say. Just disappointing people can act this way. I did the process to check what happened to the money order I sent, still waiting to hear back from post office.

If they did not take the money orders like NC reptile stated, it's because they're smart enough to know that cashing those creates a paper trail and/or video monitoring.

i hate reading things like this,just sucks in everyway! i hope they catch the crooks and i wish the best to the family and friends

In my case it's starting to go south. Post office inquiry came back and said the money order is cashed. I sent it out December 21st. They are gonna send me info about when it was cashed when they get more info. I'm hoping there is no foul play here. Does anyone know the day brannon passed?

Quote Originally Posted by sek2dts View Post
    In my case it's starting to go south. Post office inquiry came back and said the money order is cashed. I sent it out December 21st. They are gonna send me info about when it was cashed when they get more info. I'm hoping there is no foul play here. Does anyone know the day brannon passed?

He stopped responding to people on the 16th(ish). Honestly, that sounds like a federal crime has been commited. Hopefully they have cameras that they can look back at. I would think that the post office should be liable for cashing a money order that is addressed to a deceased person. No checking for ID??
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast