1955 91-30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1955 91-30

Default 1955 91-30

Weather has been cold and snowy around these parts. Instead of the "Dry Side" of WA, I should say "on the snowed in" side of WA! There was a break in the weather for just a couple hours, and the Sun shined through. Since I slid off the road in my AWD Subaru, I am resisting the urge to take pics in the mountains....so I took pics just outside my door...

I bought this one a while back, been playing with the idea of getting the other oddball manufacturers of 91-30s, the Albanian, and Hungarian....but am not sure I have enough sand in my pockets to pull that one off....

If you have a Romanian 91-30 and wish to share pics, please do....and if you have a standard Hungarian or Albanian 91-30, would really enjoy looking at those pics as well.

Hope you are warm....

Pahtu.

When you said, "1955 M91/30", I thought you were smoking your breakfast. Seems I'm the one in the clouds...

.... good show!

Nice example of a very scarce rifle.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Love your photo sessions!
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

With a duffle cut,. and an import stamp. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    When you said, "1955 M91/30", I thought you were smoking your breakfast. Seems I'm the one in the clouds...

.... good show!
    LOL, that stuff is now legal in this state....but no herb for Pahtu.....Had a homemade breakfast burrito early this morning.....snow day, no work!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Thanks Richard!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Love your photo sessions!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
    With a duffle cut,. and an import stamp. Interesting.
    Naw, that is how the Romanians made em, from a cut down M44 stock.

Pahtu.

Another incredible post....I dont know whether to slug you or hug you! Just kidding...someone won the 91/30 lottery!

That is a beautiful been there dun that and dun it again rifle! Nice!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

As always Gary, very nice, 2 thumbs up.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!...... That just isn't fair. What an incredible rifle. I suggest he be banned from the forum for forty days and forty nights. You just can't have that stuff...........and show it to other people.

Judging from the ultra-deep sight slider button depression on the side of the stock, I'd say it spent some time near the bottom of a pile of "cordwood stacked" rifles. Guess they didn't know it was destined to become a very uncommon collectible.

Interesting rifle, and great photography.

Interesting rifle. Bolt body looks Hungarian to me.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

BB91 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

An example that I've never seen in person, Interesting for sure, thanks for posting it with all the detailed pic.s. I'll look forward to the pic.s of the other two when you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by NLMosin View Post
    Another incredible post....I dont know whether to slug you or hug you! Just kidding...someone won the 91/30 lottery!
    Chuckle, not the hugging type....always scared if the hugger does not let go..... I bruise easy....so no slugging....hmmm lottery...now we are talking, I do gamble quite a bit & am known to be lucky....

Thanks, Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs3 View Post
    That is a beautiful been there dun that and dun it again rifle! Nice!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, it is a bit roughed up, but I like it!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
    As always Gary, very nice, 2 thumbs up.
    Thanks Walt, I have wanted one for quite a while, always thought I would stumble upon one at a show....never did...seems these are a bit scarce....

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallased View Post
    Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!...... That just isn't fair. What an incredible rifle. I suggest he be banned from the forum for forty days and forty nights. You just can't have that stuff...........and show it to other people.
    Thanks, banned...??....Mebbe that would save me a little $$....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    Judging from the ultra-deep sight slider button depression on the side of the stock, I'd say it spent some time near the bottom of a pile of "cordwood stacked" rifles. Guess they didn't know it was destined to become a very uncommon collectible.

Interesting rifle, and great photography.
    Thanks, yep, the countries that had all the different milsurp were storing and caring for obsolete arms....probably could not wait to get rid of such things.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
    Interesting rifle. Bolt body looks Hungarian to me.
    Could be, have not noticed any 02 stamps on the bolt??

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by BB91 View Post
    An example that I've never seen in person, Interesting for sure, thanks for posting it with all the detailed pic.s. I'll look forward to the pic.s of the other two when you find them.
    You are welcome! I have always hoped I would stumble across any of them at shows, but never have, one day may get em all, one day.....If I do, will be happy to post pics of them.

Pahtu.

Funny this almost reminds me of the China M53s that Fleet Farm had a few year back. The metal isn't too bad, but the stock is almost wonderfully Frankensteined back into existence. That is one of the most beat up yet still kind of intact stocks I've seen in a while. Very charming rifle and as always your photos rock. With all the sky you have at your house would of thought you lived in Glendive Mt or somewhere in that vicinity. It is winter here but normal for WI. Snow and Ice, 9 above zero at the moment. Crappy but as usual other parts of the country have it way worse then I do. We have had warm, real cold, snow, rain more extreme cold and a lot of ice. But I recall a few winters back when much of the country was ice cold all winter with wind chills. We expect a bad winter here every once in a while, but when people in GA or Va are constantly in the teens you know it is bad. Hey really nice rifle. Had no idea any were made so late except the Hungarian snipers and a few odd ball 91/30s. Wonder where the rest of them ended up? Still in a bunker or warehouse or did they use them for rebar? Regards, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Could be, have not noticed any 02 stamps on the bolt??

Pahtu.
    Sorry, I have to correct my former statement. Since the "DF" prefix is frequently seen on Hungarian M1891/30s here in Germany I got the idea that the bolt body on yours might be Hungarian, too. But in the meantime I found out that Romania used this prefix, too (source: KH Wrobel's books). Plus, the Hungarian stamping uses a pretty different font.

Here are pics of my Hungarian and Romanian 91/30's. The sight hood on the Romanian is still intact.

"You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Did you catch the beaver that got hold of that stock? Oh, great pick up!

Mike O, what rifle is that 3rd from the bottom in your wall shot? Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks for sharing. Like many others, I have never seen one. Looking forward to seeing your Hungarian and Albanian M91/30s when you find those. I'm confident they'll fall in line. The /C\ mark on the buttplate is really interesting, a "newer" Cugir mark? Perhaps it's common and I've just never noticed it. My 1954 M44 only has the standard triangle/arrow Romanian marks.

I did a double take when I saw your SN Mike O ...just 20 removed from Gary's...perhaps made on the same day in 1955!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Mike O, what rifle is that 3rd from the bottom in your wall shot? Thanks,
    Richard
    Russian contract Winchester Model 1895 in 7.62x54r.
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphorus32 View Post
    I did a double take when I saw your SN Mike O ...just 20 removed from Gary's...perhaps made on the same day in 1955!
    Not sure what the serial number spread is on these Romanians but it is very narrow. Every one I've seen is very close to the all the others.

Almost forgot the Hungarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    Funny this almost reminds me of the China M53s that Fleet Farm had a few year back. The metal isn't too bad, but the stock is almost wonderfully Frankensteined back into existence. That is one of the most beat up yet still kind of intact stocks I've seen in a while. Very charming rifle and as always your photos rock. With all the sky you have at your house would of thought you lived in Glendive Mt or somewhere in that vicinity. It is winter here but normal for WI. Snow and Ice, 9 above zero at the moment. Crappy but as usual other parts of the country have it way worse then I do. We have had warm, real cold, snow, rain more extreme cold and a lot of ice. But I recall a few winters back when much of the country was ice cold all winter with wind chills. We expect a bad winter here every once in a while, but when people in GA or Va are constantly in the teens you know it is bad. Hey really nice rifle. Had no idea any were made so late except the Hungarian snipers and a few odd ball 91/30s. Wonder where the rest of them ended up? Still in a bunker or warehouse or did they use them for rebar? Regards, John.
    Thanks John, there are not a whole lot of these posted over the years? Rebar, fence posts, tanks, who knows where the rest of em are, some made it over here, dunno if all of them made it to the U.S.

I believe I read somewhere around 1000 of these were made, but I have no idea really.

The next one I want to find is the 1961 dated 91-30....

The Albanian 91-30s seem much more scarce than the Romanian 91-30s....

Gary.

Sorry, I have to correct my former statement. Since the "DF" prefix is frequently seen on Hungarian M1891/30s here in Germany I got the idea that the bolt body on yours might be Hungarian, too. But in the meantime I found out that Romania used this prefix, too (source: KH Wrobel's books). Plus, the Hungarian stamping uses a pretty different font.
    No problem, I am not an expert on the prefix's used for any type of MN, just a working MN identification knowledge and respective rarity.

I like uncommon MN's....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Here are pics of my Hungarian and Romanian 91/30's. The sight hood on the Romanian is still intact.
    Superb condition rifle! My rifle must have been at the bottom of the import pile.....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphorus32 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Like many others, I have never seen one. Looking forward to seeing your Hungarian and Albanian M91/30s when you find those. I'm confident they'll fall in line. The /C\ mark on the buttplate is really interesting, a "newer" Cugir mark? Perhaps it's common and I've just never noticed it. My 1954 M44 only has the standard triangle/arrow Romanian marks.
    I believe I have seen that slash C stamp before on Romanian M44's I have owned in the past. At one time I had five Romanian M44's, most all matching, and that stamp looks familiar.

Pahtu.

Real nice! I have got the stock! Just no rifle...

I did come across a Hungarian Sniper several years ago at a out of state show, 750.00, but the stock was sanded pretty good....should have bought it and replaced the bubba'd stock with my newish condition stock, oh well, woulda shoulda....

Pahtu.

Here pictures of my own Hungarian 48.M (aka M1891/30) rifles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ungarn 003.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	1867401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ungarn 002.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	1867409
    Both have the full set of genuine, Hungarian accoutrements:
    - bayonet (the lower one even came with the matching one, while for the upper one I had the luck to find a bayonet just two serial numbers earlier, i.e. DE5781 instead of DE5783)
    - sling
    - complete cleaning kit (pouch, oil brush, rod collar, punch, muzzle protector, jag, screwdriver tool - the last three items all "02" marked)
    - two-compartment oiler
    - two-compartment ammo pouch
    - stripper clips
    - assortment of light and heavy ball ammo

And here an-all Hungarian, albeit not matching (i.e. barrel and receiver have been replaced - most likely a Hungarian arsenal job) sniper:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hungarian_M52 009.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	1867441 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hungarian_M52 008.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	1867449 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hungarian_M52 013.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	1867457 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hungarian_M52 018.jpg 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	1867465 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hungarian_M52 033.jpg 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	1867473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hungarian_M52 034.jpg 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	1867481
    The latter rifle belongs to a shooting buddy. He offered it to me for sale once, but still couldn't come to a decision - I'm too big a fan of all-matching rifles...

Darn nice rifle!

Pahtu.

Here pictures of my own Hungarian 48.M (aka M1891/30) rifles:
    Both have the full set of genuine, Hungarian accoutrements:
    - bayonet (the lower one even came with the matching one, while for the upper one I had the luck to find a bayonet just two serial numbers earlier, i.e. DE5781 instead of DE5783)
    - sling
    - complete cleaning kit (pouch, oil brush, rod collar, punch, muzzle protector, jag, screwdriver tool - the last three items all "02" marked)
    - two-compartment oiler
    - two-compartment ammo pouch
    - stripper clips
    - assortment of light and heavy ball ammo

And here an-all Hungarian, albeit not matching (i.e. barrel and receiver have been replaced - most likely a Hungarian arsenal job) sniper:

The latter rifle belongs to a shooting buddy. He offered it to me for sale once, but still couldn't come to a decision - I'm too big a fan of all-matching rifles...
    Very envious, real nice set up!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    Did you catch the beaver that got hold of that stock? Oh, great pick up!
    No, darn it, must not have set it right.....

Stole this pic off the net....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Might be one of the rarest 91/30s (or MNs) highest number i know of is 5048.

Congrats on snagging a rare bird! Total number is unknown but some guesstimates are no more than 100. There is a thread on these in the wayback:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...91-30-question

Pahtu, I wish we were closer together, I would LEND you my Romanian, Albanian, and Hungarian for a high quality photo shoot. I wish I had your skills with pics...

Glad this thread came up. thanks Pahtu. I also have a Romanian 91/30. Serial number AC5008, with mismatched bolt B05060. I will post pics. when I clear the foot and a half of snow off my deck.

My rifle with it's mismatched bolt will not accept the stripper clips. The unique trigger set up will not allow the bolt to come back far enough to clear the stripper notches in the receiver; thus it is a single loader and a cartridge has to be placed with the rim in front of the bolt face in order to feed. Does yours work the same way?

Thanks, Frank PS. Whoops, should have reread my own post from '13, noted above.
    Last edited by Frank; 01-14-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast