Broke the slide stop on my '62 EG

Thread: Broke the slide stop on my '62 EG

Default Broke the slide stop on my '62 EG

I read that if the PM has an Achilles Heal, it's the slide stop. Such was the case today at the range, but I'm glad it happened now and not when I actually carry this gun on a daily basis. Wintertime carry is a 1911.
    Fired about 30 rounds and of mixed food at the range today and suddenly the slide locked back with a round still poised to chamber. Took me a minute to realize the slide stop lever was sitting at a funny angle. Sure enough, it was split at the break you see in this photo, starting from the top edge and the split stopped just shy of the bottom edge. When I removed it from the receiver I only had to barely bend it and it snapped clean off. I have a spare of course, but it was surprising. These guns are tanks and I never thought I'd actually see a broken part. I shoot the hell out of my pistols though, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	1873970

It is a stamped sheet metal part but I didn't think it would be subject to breaking if it was installed in the gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
    It is a stamped sheet metal part but I didn't think it would be subject to breaking if it was installed in the gun though.
    ?

Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The same thing happened to one of my EG maks. Check out this old thread:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...e-at-the-Range

The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is that the replacement slide stop doesn't look quite the same as the original. My original EG slide stop has "K51" stamped on it, but replacement doesn't have any stamps on it, and is has a more machined appearance. The one I bought on Ebay works fine, but if I could find a genuine EG slide stop I would probably buy it.

I hope this helps, and good luck repairing this!

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 45collector View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
    The slide lock is sheet metal and could be bent or broken if the parts were just laying around but in an assembled Mak that part wouldn't be subject to breaking normally.

Quote Originally Posted by scottndsky View Post
    The same thing happened to one of my EG maks. Check out this old thread:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...e-at-the-Range

The only thing I'm a little unhappy with is that the replacement slide stop doesn't look quite the same as the original. My original EG slide stop has "K51" stamped on it, but replacement doesn't have any stamps on it, and is has a more machined appearance. The one I bought on Ebay works fine, but if I could find a genuine EG slide stop I would probably buy it.

I hope this helps, and good luck repairing this!

Regards,
    Scott
    Yup, yours snapped in the exact same place mine did. As far as finding an original, I didn't care too much about that, as this one is a well -used carry gun with a permanently altered slide (for Novak sights) so I didn't care about originality. I had a spare Bulgarian slide stop sitting around that I put in.

Quote Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
    The slide lock is sheet metal and could be bent or broken if the parts were just laying around but in an assembled Mak that part wouldn't be subject to breaking normally.
    Ah. I see what you're getting at. Like if the part were sitting on a small ledge or a door jamb and you accidentally stepped on it or something, snapping it in half. However, where the slide stop actually contacts the slide during lock back, is where this part always breaks. And it is fairly well documented that they do break there with regularity, (on well-used guns of course). Like I said, I shoot that gun a lot. I guess it was only a matter of time.