Dry firing the makarov

Thread: Dry firing the makarov

Default Dry firing the makarov

It is safe, mechanically, to dry fire a Makarov (of course, unloaded and double checked to be unloaded) correct? I have read that it may smooth out the trigger.

I always use snap caps for all my weapons, it is cheap insurance.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jlag19 View Post
    It is safe, mechanically, to dry fire a Makarov (of course, unloaded and double checked to be unloaded) correct? I have read that it may smooth out the trigger.
    I personally think that there is no issue at all. The firing pin has no sharp angles in the profile, so breakage would be difficult. As curly1 said, I would still use a snap cap to avoid wearing out the hammer face too much. Also do not dry fire when the slide is removed. This will snap the tip, or even the body of the hammer spring due to strain!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I will buy the snap caps just to be safe. Thanks much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes 10 seconds to remove the firing pin if you are worried. then no snap caps needed.
    Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ---- Josey Wales

Instead of a snap-cap, I've heard of leaving an empty, fired case in the chamber.
    Opinions?
    Thanks.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DrDKW View Post
    I've heard of leaving an empty, fired case in the chamber.
    Also heard of empty case, primer removed (Boxer primed I quess) and a piece of gum rubber eraser in the pocket. sorta homemade snap cap.

Quote Originally Posted by lee1959 View Post
    It takes 10 seconds to remove the firing pin if you are worried. then no snap caps needed.
    That's right. And that's another thing that's seldom mentioned about the Makarov. You can remove the firing pin so easily, and punch out the firing pin channel with a Q-Tip.
    ​Get 55!

I have ordered the snap caps and will have them this week. A-Zoom makes them in Makarov, but Tipton does not. They should do the trick. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk