Converting to DAO...?

Thread: Converting to DAO...?

Default Converting to DAO...?

I was wondering if anyone has explored the idea of a DAO Makarov.
    A search turned up nothing but I doubt Im the first to consider such a conversion (Im a big revolver geek).
    Has anyone tried it...?
    Was it successful...?
    Was it reliable...?
    Was it safe...?

I like the improved accuracy of the last eight shots, all of which are single-action. (At least
    for me they are much more accurate than the first shot. That's one reason I prefer the makarov
    [Bulgarian e.g.] to a S&W revolver....)
    Others will reply with better answers...

Yes, you may be the first...WHY?
    Usually, hammer follow is an undesirable trait in a self loader.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Not sure what I was thinking, forget that... This is your brain on no sleep.
    Last edited by lee1959; 01-21-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ---- Josey Wales

I believe it could be done easily enough. The reason it hasn't is probably because very few would want the modified pistol.

I do not shoot 'bullseye' with my revolvers, they are purely for self-defense.
    As such Im fastest and most accurate from the holster running them DA, nor have I ever found the long consistent pull a limiting factor.
    On the other hand DA to SA transitions do tend to disrupt consistent shooting, this is why all the love for striker pistols today.
    Ive always found the Maks DA pull to be rather nice, a nice DAO with no transition between shots on a CCW Mak would be slick IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
    I believe it could be done easily enough. The reason it hasn't is probably because very few would want the modified pistol.
    Well...I believe, in theory at least, if you modified the sear so the hammer would follow the slide, and kept your finger on the trigger to override the hammer block, you would have a pistol in violation of the NFA. To keep the hammer from striking the firing pin, the shooter would theoretically have to let the trigger reset between shots.

And yeah, if one dreams of revolvers, one should buy a revolver. Surely the OP could find a six-shooter with a smooth DA.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

I am still trying to figure out precisely what sort of practical advantage such a modification would have over a pistol with the regular setup.

I do have a DAO Taurus, and while I CAN work with it, I can't shoot it nearly as well as I can my DA/SA guns in any scenario I try to set up.

I figure to fire the first shot DA from my carry Mak to 'prime the pump' for the eight much better controlled SA shots to follow. With enough practice, perhaps that first DA shot can be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Well...I believe, in theory at least, if you modified the sear so the hammer would follow the slide, and kept your finger on the trigger to override the hammer block, you would have a pistol in violation of the NFA. To keep the hammer from striking the firing pin, the shooter would theoretically have to let the trigger reset between shots.
    And yeah, if one dreams of revolvers, one should buy a revolver. Surely the OP could find a six-shooter with a smooth DA.
    It has no more to do with 'dreaming revolvers' than do Glocks, VP9s, SR9s, (striker fired pistols are DA) or the tens of thousands of DAO 92's serving in Law Enforcement around the nation, there are some distinct advantages to DAO semi-autos (or if you would rather non-DA to SA pistols). Since the Mak is a wonderful CCW pistol it seams a reasonable inquiry.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
    It has no more to do with 'dreaming revolvers' than do Glocks, VP9s, SR9s, (striker fired pistols are DA) or the tens of thousands of DAO 92's serving in Law Enforcement around the nation, there are some distinct advantages to DAO semi-autos (or if you would rather non-DA to SA pistols). Since the Mak is a wonderful CCW pistol it seams a reasonable inquiry.
    Well, the Glock I own (a Gen 1 G17) is not DAO. It is, at most, a "1-1/2 action". The pistol mostly retracts the striker during recoil, and there isn't all that much extra rearward motion of the striker when you pull the trigger before it is released. For all the world, it feels like a SA when I pull the trigger.

No experience with the others.

IIRC, some years ago a member here named "Criticalbass" tried this. It did not turn out well.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
    But, the Makarov has a hammer and firing pin. One of the reasons it is a wonderful CC pistol is reliability. Different animals, don't you think?

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

Like Looter said it's been tried and didn't work too well. No it didn't go automatic and won't.
    Appalachain American

I dug up a quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbass View Post
    In general, "improving" on an established design is often not a good idea. For instance, you can make a Mak Double Action Only. I did. Great for DA practice, and I thought for regular carry until the sear let go from the extra abuse DAO put on it and I had an AD which luckily damaged only an electric plug in my kitchen.
    Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    Well, the Glock I own (a Gen 1 G17) is not DAO. It is, at most, a "1-1/2 action". The pistol mostly retracts the striker during recoil,
    That it does and if you want one that mimics a smooth DA try a Kahr. Now if I could just keep them from releasing their mags. The only modification I would consider for the Makarov would be bigger sights.