Bad day at the range.

Thread: Bad day at the range.

Default Bad day at the range.

Took my 61 model East German Mak to the range yesterday and everything started off great. I fired two magazines of Tula 9x18 plinking ammo through it just fine then, during some rapid fire (double tapping) I thought I had fired one round that seemed a bit light. It did cycle the action normally and the ejection was normal, just seemed not quite as loud. The follow up shot was a bit louder than normal and the recoil was fairly sharp. I cleared the Mak and removed the slide, suspecting that I had had a squib load and fired into it with the second shot. The barrel was clear and I could see no obvious damage. I reassembled the Mak and continued to fire without incident. The pistol functioned as it always has and was just as accurate as it ever was. Later, after I got home and was cleaning the pistol in good light I thought I could see a very small irregularity, almost imperceptible on the inside of the chrome lined barrel. I could see nothing unusual on the exterior.

So, for the real reason for this post. Should this pistol be rebarreled? I have a new East German barrel and if the weapon was misbehaving in any way I would not hesitate to replace the barrel. It seems to shoot just fine with good as ever accuracy. I would appreciate any comments you all might have on this subject.

Maybe what you noticed in the barrel was already there. I think I would leave well enough alone.

Might try shooting into a phone book or wet pack newspapers to recover the bullet and look for irregularities in the striations. If you notice, what you would consider any abnormality, in a copper solvent cleaned barrel, change it out. IMO.
    For good light in a barrel of an unloaded pistol, I put a patch against the open bolt face and shine a light on it while looking down the muzzle.
    Last edited by martinbanner; 01-23-2017 at 04:46 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

As long as it's functioning and shooting good I wouldn't worry about it. If it had bulged the barrel enough to cause problems you would know it because it would lock the slide up. This happens every now and then. That's why when a shot doesn't seem normal, stop and check, it could save you a lot of trouble.
    Appalachain American

I had, yrs past, a couple of guns with minute bulging in their barrels, as the precision did not reflect the imperfection I kept firing with both and nothing happened, moreover sometime ago got a beautiful small 22lr Mauser with a bulge half way down the barrel, but its precision is perfect.
    I am an international Gunboards patron

I have no first hand experience with a squib, but it seems improbable that you could have had a light enough load to leave a bullet in the barrel yet still cycle the action and eject the empty case as normal. I've seen a video where a fired primer alone, with no powder in the case, is enough to get a bullet stuck in the barrel, but won't even move the slide. For you to then fire a second shot into the squib without damaging the pistol, or only leaving a nearly imperceptible irregularity, seems even more unlikely. A touch of bad quality control in the powder load in the ammo with a slightly light and slightly heavy load seems a bit more likely. It's even possible that you experienced a bit of a change in your perception due to a slight difference in the pressure of your grip and/or ear protection position in your ears, or a person next to you firing simultaneously (?), between the two shots.

It's certainly wise to be cautious, but if it kept on functioning normally and you can't see any significant issues, I'd say it's good to go.

I would like to thank all of you that took the time to read my post and provide opinions on the matter. I tend to agree with Phosphorus on this. I have had squib loads in the past but they never showed normal cycling of the slide and cartridge case ejection. It is possible that I experienced a light load followed by a heavy load which would account for the perceived increase in recoil. The weapon did not show any obvious external bulging and then fired reliably and accurately. I think I will hold off installing the new barrel, for now. Some more range time should reveal any degradation of performance or accuracy and if that happens I still have the new barrel. Again, thanks everyone.

It appears you are on the it path, i have pulled barrels from Walther PP's without too much difficulty but also have heard the Mak barrel requires a barrel press to replace?

One-Two One-Two Boogie Woogie Avenue, Minnesota

I was shooting my cousins Glock with some of his own reloads. One sounded strange, even though it cycled the slide. Inspection found the bullet was lodged halfway down the barrel. It was easily removed with a wooden dowel and small mallet. A second shot could have caused damage or injury. IMHO, you should stop shooting, remove the mag, clear the chamber and inspect anytime you have an odd sounding report.
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
    Edmund Burke - 1770

If there was a bullet left in the bore you would have seen and felt a ring (bulge). The slide would not cycle.
    If you think the barrel is bulged I have a Makarov barrel press and would be happy to do it for you.
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
    NRA Endowment Member
    " I'll buy the Constitution and The Bill-Of-Rights, you can keep the CHANGE."

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

There's been several cases of a squib on here where it did eject the case, most reported a bulged barrel that locked the slide up. Others have reported a slight barrel bulge but it didn"t bulge enough to lock the slide. I had a EG for a while that had a slight bulge, the gun shot good and ran good, I sold it to a guy and showed him the bulge, he still has it and shoots it regularly.
    Appalachain American

Mustang22: Thanks for posting that incident. Am glad that your Mak functioned normally after that.

I can't remember whether Academy's 9x18 ammo is both Monarch and Tula. Does anybody remember?
    A Tula 9x18 round did not sound right in my CZ-82, and misfed the next round, from what I remember.

The only handgun squib I experienced was reloaded .380 Auto, done by a company near Memphis which sells commercially reloaded ammo at the Germantown gun show.
    The gun is my Sig 232 and a gun smith pushed the bullet loose.

My only squib was with the newer Russian made LVE 9x18 that was available 3-4 years ago. The sound and recoil was less and there was a good bit of smoke coming out around the hammer. Mine did eject the empty and had the next round in battery. Cleared the chamber and knocked the bullet back through the barrel with a wooden dowel.

Is it possible the OP could post a pic of the barrel. I'd like to see what you are seeing...
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Honestly, I think it is either ammunition inconsistency (it is a blowback gun after all) or a slam fire (double tap).

A squib would most likely bulge the barrel to the point where the slide cannot move back easily.

I took the Mak back to the range and put another 100 rds. through it. Shoots good runs smooth and is just as accurate as it always has been. The barrel is definitely bulged, I can see it on the interior and I can feel it on the exterior but it is very slight I would like to thank everyone that commented. I also appreciate the offer by Rapidrob change the barrel for me. I got the new barrel but I think I will hold on to it for the time being. Thanks everyone.

If you are not going to change the barrel, I would monitor your spring for wear.
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

Quote Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
    I can't remember whether Academy's 9x18 ammo is both Monarch and Tula. Does anybody remember?
    The only 9x18 ammo I've seen at Academy is Monarch (Barnaul), in both 95 hardball and 95 JHP.

Rplace the barrel, I have a CZ 82 that had a small bulge. When I shot it again the bulge expanded and locked up the pistol.The gun could not be taken down because the slide would not go back far enough. The only way to disassemble was to drill out the barrel.

Try slugging the barrel and look at the slug when its out and see if its deformed...that will cheaply and accurately tell you if there is some imperfection going on inside the barrel. Just go get a $2 pack of egg lead fishing sinkers, lube bore with grease and with a wooden dowel (Lowes had them cheap), hammer soft lead slug thru your barrel. No way any damage can be done .

Something went wrong. Its entirely possible something was in that barrel when you chose to shoot after the suspect round was fired. You say now you see something in barrel but shooting of pistol continues to be normal.

I don't know what I don't know about your situation and that is fine but you don't know and you better find out....or change out the barrel and be done with it. If you own a spare barrel, I'd do that immediately as a precaution and then chase the demons that may / may not be in your suspect barrel.

That would be my suggestion to any pistol shooter with a mystery as described going on.