Can the gap between grip and frame be fixed??
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can the gap between grip and frame be fixed??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default Can the gap between grip and frame be fixed??

    Hi all, I have used the search function for this and have come up empty mostly. I know that a gap at the top of the grips and frame is common across the board with our Maks, but is there anyway to fix this? I have messed with it a little bit, moving the nut up as much as I can and re tightening. It gets a little better but still present. I would not care otherwise but the other day at the range, after a couple hundred rounds, there was some definite pinching in the web of my hand caused by the little gap in the grip.
    Just wondering if someone has cracked the code on this and can help me out. As always thanks in advance guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie
    Posts
    8,307

    Default

    I figure you might be able to do something by filling in the gap with something like glass bedding compound, but I would be careful of going for TOO tight a fit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    603

    Default

    The short answer: buy another grip.
    The long winded answer: I've seen this mostly as a Bulgarian grip phenomenon and though "common" enough, isn't necessarily the standard. You didn't mention variant or grip style, but the "moving the nut (screw) up", suggests something is amiss. They are not adjustable, as the threads match at only one position. I would invest in another grip set and fresh screw (before the frame hole is stripped out by fenaggeling). I would discard for new bakelite w/ratchet screw, Pierce rubber, wood or EG grips, etc., which may give a better fit, closing the gap (not every example of original grip has this misfit) and ending movement or pinching. IMHO.
    Slim Tim Trader, Ebay, surplus parts houses may be a source for new grip stocks. Google <Makarov grips>. End the pain.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    N. Louisiana
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artamus View Post
    moving the nut up as much as I can and re tightening.
    I think he is sliding the "spring retainer" up a little more which doesn't have the threads. As martinbanner said, just get another grip.

  6. #5

    Default

    I am very aware of what the OP is describing, and am willing to bet he is talking about a Bulgy. It seems to be a problem only with Bulgies. I also have two EGs and two Russian milsurps, and the gap is nonexistent with any of them. Further, most close up pictures of Bulgies I have found on line show the same gap mine has, but EGs and Russians do not. It does pinch the web of the hand after several rounds, as the OP describes. After experimenting with rounding the top of the grip, and tape between grip and frame down low (each helped a little), I fixed the problem on the Bulgy by installing an Israeli FAB grip. When I tried the Bulgy grip on one of the Russians, the gap reappeared, as it had been on the Bulgy. So I believe the problem is the Bulgy grip itself. I have not yet tried installing a Russian or EG grip on the Bulgy, but willing to bet the gap will close.
    So to the OP, maybe just try a EG or Russian milsurp grip on your Bulgy?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHall View Post
    I am very aware of what the OP is describing, and am willing to bet he is talking about a Bulgy. It seems to be a problem only with Bulgies. I also have two EGs and two Russian milsurps, and the gap is nonexistent with any of them. Further, most close up pictures of Bulgies I have found on line show the same gap mine has, but EGs and Russians do not. It does pinch the web of the hand after several rounds, as the OP describes. After experimenting with rounding the top of the grip, and tape between grip and frame down low (each helped a little), I fixed the problem on the Bulgy by installing an Israeli FAB grip. When I tried the Bulgy grip on one of the Russians, the gap reappeared, as it had been on the Bulgy. So I believe the problem is the Bulgy grip itself. I have not yet tried installing a Russian or EG grip on the Bulgy, but willing to bet the gap will close.
    So to the OP, maybe just try a EG or Russian milsurp grip on your Bulgy?
    Awesome, I have a couple other Maks and have not tried switching grips yet, I'm gonna give it a go right now and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South of DC
    Posts
    9,979

    Default

    All else fails, you might try a Pierce Rubber grip for the Mak. I find these fit very good, and adsorb a bit of the recoil.
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

    This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie
    Posts
    8,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    All else fails, you might try a Pierce Rubber grip for the Mak. I find these fit very good, and adsorb a bit of the recoil.
    You are right about the fit, but the biggest thing wrong with the Pearce grip in my experience is that it is just so doggone WIDE!

    The Bulgarian Mak that I bought secondhand and am now using for CC came to me with a Pearce grip on it. The first thing I did was remove the Pearce and install a red plastic Russian grip that I already had in its place.

    I have no use for the Pearce, and you can have it for cheap if you want it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •