ATF advised not to sell CZ 82 to C&R

Thread: ATF advised not to sell CZ 82 to C&R

Default ATF advised not to sell CZ 82 to C&R

I was looking at a CZ 82 on GunBroker. It is a little overpriced but it is coated and I liked the looks of it.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...les-Read-First

They didn't mention C&R FFL eligibility in the listing. If they don't mention C&R FFL I typically send an email asking if they will ship to a C&R FFL holder. Some sellers will and some won't and some don't even know what a C&R FFL is.

They responded - "The ATF advised us not to."

What is up with that?
    Last edited by SlimTim; 01-29-2017 at 11:20 PM.

If the CZ-82 is not a C&R weapon (and I don't know if it is or isn't) then yeah, don't ship to a C&R holder....
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

That is not the issue. The CZ 82 definitely IS a C&R eligible gun. It is listed in the main list published by the ATF themselves on page 22 of the main list. You can download it yourself.
    https://www.atf.gov/publications/fir...ics/index.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Simply seller's discretion.
    You may think it's high priced now, just wait for everybody to bid on it who sees your link.

Or they perceive it to modified enough to lose its C&R status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Simply seller's discretion.
    You may think it's high priced now, just wait for everybody to bid on it who sees your link.
    I understand seller's discretion but that is not what they said. They said the ATF advised them not to ship to a C&R FFL holder.
    I have run into several sellers that don't sell to C&R FFL holders, mostly due to ignorance, but that is completely up to them and I am fine with that. But if the ATF is saying not to sell then that is a completely different deal.

the refinishing is the reason for it losing its ability to be sold c&r

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyears View Post
    Or they perceive it to modified enough to lose its C&R status.
    Now I had not thought of that. The only modification I am aware of is the coating. I wouldn't think so but is it possible that is enough to make it ineligible in somebody's eyes?

I have a small collection of CZ 82 pistols and some are coated and that has not been an issue in the past.

I did ask them what Branch Office they talked to and if there was any reason given and they replied - "That is all I can tell you."

Possibly just a brush off I suppose.

Eastpointe (formerly East Detroit), Michigan

^ ask the seller if the ATF provided an explanation as to why they discouraged him from selling to a C&R licensee...if he didn't bother to ask them that question, then I call BS...seller just doesn't want the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by mudoven View Post
    ^ ask the seller if the ATF provided an explanation as to why they discouraged him from selling to a C&R licensee...if he didn't bother to ask them that question, then I call BS...seller just doesn't want the hassle.
    You are probably right - but I don't understand what the "hassle" would be. I send a copy of the license and money - he sends the gun - same as any other transaction.

I have run into this MANY times as an FFL03 holder. Most of the time the dealer's don't know the laws regarding FFL03 and they don't know for sure which firearms are eligible. It's not worth the effort to do the research and it's not worth losing their FFL01 or worse by making a mistake. They get in the habit of making sales a certain way and will not deviate from it. Who can blame them? The laws are constantly changing and it's tough keep up. For example, now it is not legal for a CA FFL03 holder to receive ANY pistol directly even if it's a C&R.

Although if I were running a business I would want to know what I am doing. ATF has a list and a couple updates available for download. If the gun is on the list it is C&R eligible or if the gun is 50 years old it is C&R eligible. That is not difficult. That is not difficult at all. Many businesses would love to have things so laid out for them.

Or they could just say no sales to C&R FFL, period. But to say ATF advised them not to if they really didn't is pretty lame. Maybe ATF did advise them and maybe not, hard to tell. I was assuming they were telling the truth and that made me wonder why ATF would do such a thing. Now I'm guessing they just didn't want to sell to me. No big deal to me. It is not like CZ 82 pistols are hard to find or anything.

Move on, take your business elsewhere. Write him off as a peckerhead. For the money you can have a nice original.

Quote Originally Posted by gtodan View Post
    Move on, take your business elsewhere. Write him off as a peckerhead. For the money you can have a nice original.
    funny you say that,

as an FFL\SOT, I have told a few C&R guys to please take their business elsewhere (they thought they were traditional FFL holders)

and I know a few dealers that don't want to deal with C&R folks , esp when it comes to shipping, (can you ship a pistol to a C&R thru USPS like you can a FFL to FFL discussions)
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Yes, I have run into quite a few FFL dealers that don't sell C&R eligible guns to C&R FFL buyers. I figure that is up to them if they want to cut out a chunk of customers that buy frequently. I just wish they would say whether they do or not in the description. They usually don't bother to say so you have to email them and ask. Sometimes they even answer. Not the way I would run a business but to each his own.

That's the kind of answer that he doesn't want to say why he won't accept an 03 so he gives a really vague response so you can't take it out on him for something he himself just doesn't want to do, for whatever reason. To convenient to blame BATFE.

I can see why some dealers won't sell to 03 holders. I don't agree, but I can see it. And it's their choice. Go in peace and best of luck.

The bit about the ATF advising them not to...that would peg my BS meter. As pointed out earlier, the CZ-82 is explicitly called out on the main list of eligible guns. Sounds more like a seller who does not want to sell to an 03 holder and doesn't want to get into a discussion about it.

Suggest moving on to another seller.

I quess they think that since C&R are for collectable items the refinishing would make it more of a shooter then a collector piece.

Quote Originally Posted by nonobadog View Post
    Yes, I have run into quite a few FFL dealers that don't sell C&R eligible guns to C&R FFL buyers. I figure that is up to them if they want to cut out a chunk of customers that buy frequently. I just wish they would say whether they do or not in the description. They usually don't bother to say so you have to email them and ask. Sometimes they even answer. Not the way I would run a business but to each his own.
    If it's definitely a C&R eligible gun in question and they won't ship it to me on my C&R license I just tell them OK I won't be doing business with you. The WHOLE purpose of an 03 License was to permit this type of trade and any 01FFL who won't go along with it is subverting this purpose. IMO; If all 03 Licensees would take this approach they'd start losing enough business so their attitudes would have to change.
    Jim