Has anyone ever seen a bulgarian makarov serial # like this

Thread: Has anyone ever seen a bulgarian makarov serial # like this

Default Has anyone ever seen a bulgarian makarov serial # like this

Well, I finally tracked down a Bulgarian Makarov shipping crate that I could pick up myself. Shipping costs are simply too great. I found the original Bulgarian packing list inside in Cyrillic. Eight of the serial numbers listed out of a hundred are a new to me pattern. Here is one example: YX4679/80. Hans anyone else out there in Makarov Land ever seen this style of serial number before? Thanks, ABTOMAT P.S. I also found some goodies in the included greasy wrapping paper, a used exc. slide stop, and a new grip screw. Oh rapture!

Great find! I have also contacted a few sellers for original packing crate, but no one wanted to sell outside their own borders!

Also, I do not see what is so interesting about the serial number. Seems pretty standard to me (YX block, number 4679, 1980 production). The notation on paper may be different for logistical reasons, but the numbering of pistols, especially on Bulgarians, stayed very consistent until the last year of production. The only noticeable change (which I think you are already aware of), are the methods of numbering, evolving from hammering, to electropenciling, to laser etching.

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

I have never seen one with a serial number like that, that is similar to the format they started using in 2000. Strange but there's a lot we still do not know about the Bulgarians. I'm assuming this crate was from a recent shipment so maybe someone on here actually got a gun with this type serial number. I do know from talking to one distributor that there was some strange things in some of the later shipments. More on that, maybe later today if I get time to do some pictures.
    Appalachain American

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TENNESSEEAN View Post
    I have never seen one with a serial number like that, that is similar to the format they started using in 2000. Strange but there's a lot we still do not know about the Bulgarians. I'm assuming this crate was from a recent shipment so maybe someone on here actually got a gun with this type serial number. I do know from talking to one distributor that there was some strange things in some of the later shipments. More on that, maybe later today if I get time to do some pictures.
    Plausible, but I would disagree on the fact that this is a new pattern serial number. A new-pattern serial number would be A00xxxx 200x (could also be 00xx or 00xxxxxxx). The one AB listed doesn't have any clue for post-2000 production. I would reckon that the employee that recorded the shipment must have received some sort of policy change on how to record these serial numbers, or that another employee was in charge mid-record.

It would be nice, AB, if you can post the entire picture of the shipment list, so further information can be extracted.

Well Meerkoos, like I said, I found the original Bulgarian packing list for the crate, identified as "shipping crate 4" on the top. Scattered around the 100 serial numbers are 8 that have this format, ending in "/70" or "/80." I suspect it reflects how the piece was recorded somewhere else and is an effort at continuity that was kept in the records. Or..., they could be Russians? Aside from the odd parts the dealer said he had a couple of Soviet PM's, (not 8,) and some black grips. My next quest is for a black grip. Frankly, for someone that seriously collects Bulgarians, this is an exciting time. Cheers, ABTOMAT

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    Well Meerkoos, like I said, I found the original Bulgarian packing list for the crate, identified as "shipping crate 4" on the top. Scattered around the 100 serial numbers are 8 that have this format, ending in "/70" or "/80." I suspect it reflects how the piece was recorded somewhere else and is an effort at continuity that was kept in the records. Or..., they could be Russians? Aside from the odd parts the dealer said he had a couple of Soviet PM's, (not 8,) and some black grips. My next quest is for a black grip. Frankly, for someone that seriously collects Bulgarians, this is an exciting time. Cheers, ABTOMAT
    It would be interesting to know. If only we had a time machine... The only black Bulgarian grips I have seen are on Bulgarian cutaways (one of which I didn't manage to snag, because the seller didn't want to ship outside Bulgaria). Based on observation, black furniture is only used on training cutaways (can also be seen on Bulgarian AKs). Interestingly enough, the stock photo you find on the internet is the serial number right after the one I missed!

Good luck hunting!
    Last edited by Meerkoos; 01-28-2017 at 06:19 PM.

I'm "dancing " as fast as I can trying to keep up with point counter point. Is this not a black Bulgarian grip posted in a former Gunboards thread?
    AB seems the most logical explanation of list # since there were no 1970 Bulgies, hence maybe Russian, and the "employee" would have to add 20 in the s/n to arrive at /80, if the pistol had a "traditional" circle 10 mark. Whew. Just sayin'.
    Attachment 1913385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulg..JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	1913393

Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    I'm "dancing " as fast as I can trying to keep up with point counter point. Is this not a black Bulgarian grip posted in a former Gunboards thread?
    AB seems the most logical explanation of list # since there were no 1970 Bulgies, hence maybe Russian, and the "employee" would have to add 20 in the s/n to arrive at /80, if the pistol had a "traditional" circle 10 mark. Whew. Just sayin'.
    Attachment 1913385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulg..JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	1913393

Seems like I've seen that BSN Bulgie somewhere before.

A few more pictures of it.
    These are the grips that came on it when I purchased it. Seems there has been debate in the past about what the story actually is on the purpose of this color, can't remember if it was settled or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blkgrip..JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1913833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSN Bulgie.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	1913825

Seeing that these were imports by Dan's Sporting Goods, as he has told me many times, and as I have seen, don't be surprised that something odd turns up among these crates of imports, because a lot of times they clean out anything they have laying around.

I was in his pistol room one time, and we were examining P1 pistols, and he had a bunch set aside that had cut down barrels, sights ground off, and this was by German police armorers, imagine second world Soviet bloc conscripted armorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Seems like I've seen that BSN Bulgie somewhere before.

A few more pictures of it.
    These are the grips that came on it when I purchased it. Seems there has been debate in the past about what the story actually is on the purpose of this color, can't remember if it was settled or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blkgrip..JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1913833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSN Bulgie.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	1913825

SteveM thanks for the photo. Just curious. Is the black color through grip material or is it just the surface finish? I ask because it looks like some brown peeping out in spots. I need to get a black one for photos. Ciao, ABTOMAT

I just got confirming evidence that those off beat serial numbers are of Soviet Russian Makarovs mixed in with the Bulgarians. martinbanner you may take a bow for coming up with that suggestion. Thanks, ABTOMAT

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT View Post
    SteveM thanks for the photo. Just curious. Is the black color through grip material or is it just the surface finish? I ask because it looks like some brown peeping out in spots. I need to get a black one for photos. Ciao, ABTOMAT
    I just removed the grips this evening and under a bright light and a 5x glass looked them over very closely, they look solid black to me. The areas that look brown in the pic of the right side has some moderate wear that appears to be holster wear, must be a reflection of some sort or an artifact from the cheap camera.
    The small chip missing from the right front edge of the grip is also black with maybe some signs of the inner Bakelite material ( my guess) .

There are a few more of this style grips that were imported with chrome bulgies , maybe the owners will check and post you some data.