Another Black Sea Navy gun

Thread: Another Black Sea Navy gun

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

Default Another Black Sea Navy gun

Recently another member (str8liner) here posted pictures of a chromed Bulgarian Makarov, from the pictures he supplied it was a "Black Sea Navy" gun that came in a recent shipment that Dan from Dans Ammo got. I called Dan to talk with him about the gun and he confirmed that there was 4 of the chromed Bulgarians in the shipment and all had been sold. We talked about surplus is coming in and what might be coming in the future as well as he was getting ready to leave for the shot show. Before we hung up he casually said "by the way there was another chromed gun in the shipment" I asked what it was and he "replied just a well used chromed Russian Military Mak" needless to say I was shocked. We talked about it and he told me the chrome was starting to flake in some places and how much he wanted for it. I was very agreeable with the price quoted and told him I wanted it. he was at the shot show last week and didn't ship it until he got back this week. It's a 1970 Russsian Military mak and like he said it's been well used. Everything about it is consistent with other "Black Sea Navy" guns and the importer added serial number is two numbers different from the other one the member on here got. It came with a early humped russian magazine that isn't chromed. This gun just adds to the Black Sea Navy story and the use of Russian Military Maks. here's what I got. Thanks Dan and If you've never dealt with him, he's the best out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170126_203405.jpg   20170126_203422.jpg   20170126_203437.jpg   20170126_213514.jpg   20170128_101847.jpg   20170128_102018.jpg  

20170128_102031.jpg   20170128_101926.jpg  
    Appalachain American

Nice

Interesting find! Frankly, I am not buying into this whole "Black Sea Navy" narrative, but again, who knows for sure. I am certain that AB and Cameron will elucidate more on these pistols.

This example right here doesn't look like a factory job to me. All the rounded edges scream "Bubba" to me, but hey, at least it is an authentic Soviet PM. I might be ignorant of the story behind these "Black Sea Navy" pistols though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Nice snag TENNESSEEAN. What opinion do you have on whether the pistol was refinished or not? Thanks, ABTOMAT

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

First, I don't know how to say "Bubba" in Bulgarian, If it was done by bubba then he worked for Arsenal in
    Bulgaria.

AB, I'm not sure what you mean by refinished so here is what we do know from the earlier postings and reasearch on these guns. The Bulgarians did not do a production run of these guns. You can tell this by the serial numbers and production years of the guns. If they had been produced as chrome guns then they would be in the same production block and year. Apparently these guns were pulled from a armory or storage facility and they all appear to have been used before they were chromed. From information furnished to George Fisher by an unnamed official at the Arsenal these guns were made for use by the Bulgarian Navy to fight corrosion from sea water. So if you mean refinished in that way the answer is yes. If you mean someone else did it then they did it in Bulgaria, these pistols came into this country chromed, it was not done after they got here. My point on this one is all the other 40 some of these were Bulgarian, this is the only one that I'm aware of that is Russian. This gun supports my belief that the Bulgarians for whatever reason used a number of Russian Maks, why, I don't know.
    Appalachain American

So after it was imported to Dan's, it became a Russian PM "Black Sea Navy" Bulgarian sneak?! Wonderful find in provenance, TN.

The former answer was what I was looking for TENNESEEAN. It had the look of a refurb, but not commercial. Thanks. ABTOMAT

Cool story and interesting collector gun.

I like it
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."

Will Rogers

One never knows what will turn up from Bulgaria.

Nice score.

I like it!

видеодон