Tula PU Sniper

Thread: Tula PU Sniper

Default Tula PU Sniper

Just picked up this 1944 PU sniper and would like your thoughts on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0239.JPG   DSC_0242.JPG   DSC_0244.JPG   DSC_0245.JPG   DSC_0249.JPG   DSC_0255.JPG  

DSC_0241.JPG  

The bolt looks straight. Do all S/N match gun scope bolt ànd other parts I paid $1500 for mine all no:S matching correct good wood and Barrell. Shoots 11/2 groups with most hand loads. I'm retired military 100 percent disabled I Am still working on getting a load to do under 1".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The numbers all match but as its a Tula rifle no scope number on the rifle and scope has been refurbished by the look of things.
    Will see how it shoots next weekend.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Bit of a strange one. It appears to be a genuine '44 Tula PU, but beyond the weird bolt, the base pins should be in blind holes, not through holes. Also, the scope mount is stamped as was the practice at Tula, but the mount is an Izhevsk judging from the machining marks. Do you have pics of the floorplate and buttplate (serial area)? Also, is the rear sight pinned?
    Wer von seinem Tag nicht zwei Drittel für sich selbst hat, ist ein Sklave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    Bit of a strange one. It appears to be a genuine '44 Tula PU, but beyond the weird bolt, the base pins should be in blind holes, not through holes. Also, the scope mount is stamped as was the practice at Tula, but the mount is an Izhevsk judging from the machining marks. Do you have pics of the floorplate and buttplate (serial area)? Also, is the rear sight pinned?
    It doesn't appear to be a Molot, or a Tulasky. You think it might be a "Zeebill Special"= exsniper, rescoped?

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    It doesn't appear to be a Molot, or a Tulasky. You think it might be a "Zeebill Special"= exsniper, rescoped?
    Could be a resniper, but even if that, it's a strange one. Still in a Tula stock, and it doesn't look to be reblued. We definitely need a better look at this one.

here's some more pictures were on the rear sight base would you like a picture of?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0251.JPG   DSC_0243.JPG   DSC_0244.JPG   DSC_0246.JPG  

Is there an import mark?

Quote Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
    Is there an import mark?
    This rifle is in the UK only non Russian markings are German proof marks, scope base is 100% tula as is the scope bracket. The German proof id for July 1999
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0265.JPG   DSC_0267.JPG   DSC_0269.jpg   DSC_0261.JPG   DSC_0262.JPG   DSC_0263.JPG  

Last edited by ptamony; 01-29-2017 at 12:05 PM.

I agree with what Relic has said. It does not appear to be reblued. The scope mount is Izhevsk. It is drilled in the manner of an Izhevsk. The scope mount is numbered correctly as per Tula. Gotta wonder if the rifle was started by Izhevsk and finished at Tula, check the tang marking. Mag floor plate look to be Tula. Very interesting rifle and if not overpriced I would buy it even before I figured out exactly what is what. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    I agree with what Relic has said. It does not appear to be reblued. The scope mount is Izhevsk. It is drilled in the manner of an Izhevsk. The scope mount is numbered correctly as per Tula. Gotta wonder if the rifle was started by Izhevsk and finished at Tula, check the tang marking. Mag floor plate look to be Tula. Very interesting rifle and if not overpriced I would buy it even before I figured out exactly what is what. JMO.
    It gets stranger and stranger the more you see. All the numbered parts (except the scope and mount) shown look to be original matching, including the stamped sheet metal floorplate. With the new pics, the rifle still looks to be in original bluing, and the sight base definitely isn't pinned. The base looks to be a Tula, but with an Izhevsk mount stamped with the rifle serial like a Tula, and with through holes for the pins. I'm baffled.

ptamony, could you post a pic of the bolt serial?

I didn't see any refurb stamps on the rifle. The scope was refurbed in Kiev.

Yep mag floor plate is a stamped Tula, correct for 1944. Looks a lot like the rifles R-Guns was selling on this side of the pond.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by williamhemmings View Post
    The bolt looks straight.
    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's a bent bolt, the angle of the pic makes it appear to be straight.

as you can see the mount is Tula made, the action is tula marked over to you. Also bolt pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0257.JPG   DSC_0258.JPG   DSC_0259.JPG   DSC_0260.JPG   DSC_0256.JPG   DSC_0273.JPG  

DSC_0274.JPG   DSC_0275.JPG   DSC_0270.JPG   DSC_0271.JPG   DSC_0272.JPG  

Bolt looks good, mount is defiantly Tula. Nice rifle, wish I had one just like it!

can you tell the date of the scope refurb

Quote Originally Posted by ptamony View Post
    can you tell the date of the scope refurb
    There is an upper case letter "P" to the right of the Kiev refurb box which I think would indicate the year it was serviced. I'm sure someone around here knows, maybe Ratnik, or Ol'Relic?

Mount is a Tula. Bit of an unusual machining pattern for a Tula (I would have sworn it was an Izhevsk from the view while still mounted on the rifle). Bolt is possibly original matching, though it's a bit unusual for the serial to be stamped off center. I don't know what year the P code is for, perhaps Ratnik will be able to tell us. The scope is possibly the only non-original part on this rifle. It would have probably left the zavod with a Krasnogorsk.

I don't understand why the base locator pin holes are through holes, but regardless, it's a very nice PU.

Yea, it is a Tula mount, but looked Izhevsk on the rifle. The drilled through base is not normal and it is not clear that Tula made the receiver nor the barrel. Many Tulas were built at Izhevsk and finished at Tula. I have PUs that have more than one barrel mark that were eventually assembled at Tula. The tang does not show a Tula mark nor date. It is a Tula PU but maybe not completely made there IMO. That does not mean that it is not largely original and does not mean it is not a Tula. The scope is not original being too early for the rifle and made in 42, although anything is possible. The rest of the parts could be original. It does look like many Rguns and could have been a Police gun post war, like the scuttle/theory is what the Rguns were. Many were original except the scope and shellac added to the stock. Most scopes had scrubbed serial numbers though but otherwise this one seems to have spent life post war in the same role. Nice one regardless.
    Last edited by mike radford; 01-29-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Looks very much like my R-guns 44 Tula PU. Same serial prefix also I believe; will have to dig it out and check the serial number and mount pins. Good looking sniper.

PA
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Quote Originally Posted by PAshutr3 View Post
    Looks very much like my R-guns 44 Tula PU. Same serial prefix also I believe; will have to dig it out and check the serial number and mount pins. Good looking sniper.

PA
    I had to check mine also, my 44 is TC, OP's is TO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rj9.jpg  

I was wrong on the same serial number prefix. Mine is TC not TO however you can see the rear pin coming through my receiver as well. Its not quite a full hole but enough you can see the pin.
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Taking another look at the rifle a general rule may come into play. The C H sniper mark is the most centered and "perfect" of any 43 or 44 Tula I have seen, and I have seen a lot. Anything fishy requires a very close look. We have a four hole drilled thru receiver, which is nothing I have ever seen. We have an off centered scope mount number, which is hard to see. We have scope that would, most likely, not have been original to the rifle but most of it appears to be original. We have a fish with a funny smell. IMO this one needs way more of a look than I can see. There are bells ringing that make one near deaf. I am not sure what is up with this one. I would need some more answers. Has anyone checked if this serial block was sniper used as I can not find it.

If it is otherwise nice rifle, and the price is good, it is hard to go wrong. Good luck Paul.
    Last edited by mike radford; 01-31-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Description

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-foru...ic.php?t=24026
    Is another Tula 1944 PU rifle same batch I have also seen serial Number TO 946.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170131_071245.jpg  
    Last edited by ptamony; 01-31-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Hello,

I believe you guys are mixing up PEM with PU or at least mid 1943 PU. Tula in mid 1943 when they switch from the plants I forget (314) to plant 536 started to drill the pins as through holes.

later
    vaughn
    Tula 91/30 Ex-Snipers WANTED!!!!!!! See List Below
    Zeiss Type Any Date
    Walther Type Any Date
    1932 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1933 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1936 PE, Top Mount, Round Receiver
    1938 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1938 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1939 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1939 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1940 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1943 PE, Top Mount Siege Built

Quote Originally Posted by vaughn99 View Post
    Hello,

I believe you guys are mixing up PEM with PU or at least mid 1943 PU. Tula in mid 1943 when they switch from the plants I forget (314) to plant 536 started to drill the pins as through holes.

later
    vaughn
    You are absolutely correct, and I had to go look at 3 1944 Tula PUs before I could believe it. Guilty: the perils of believing what you read instead of investigating for yourself.

You are absolutely correct, and I had to go look at 3 1944 Tula PUs before I could believe it. Guilty: the perils of believing what you read instead of investigating for yourself.
    I must have slept through that at well, and I have several 44 Tulas. Sorry Paul and good job Vaughn.

happy days a real Tula PU sniper my next question about the Alpha prefix is the first letter a month code? like on the SVT's?
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-letter-prefix

I am happy you got an exceptional rifle that has many original parts, mount, probably the stock and original metal finish.

Since I have screwed up so much in this thread I will wait for a real expert on the prefix, probably Ratnik, Ryan or others.

Congratulations.

took it out for a shoot yesterday was happy on the first outing about 1 MOA happy days. No need to work out a good load to feed the beast

I'm scratching my head as well in regard to the mount being called an Izhevsk based on the mill pattern. I have and do have many that are identical with the same markings and clearly Tula proofed. I don't see anything that leads me to think that the bolt was ground. Look how sharp the bevel at the bolt base is and how sharp the numbers. My 44's have 4 holes as well. I had a 43 that had a rear hole drilled but as Vaughn states it was not total- like they made a depth booboo or it was "pushed" out by the pin being seated then ground to clear the bolt path.
    Just for my own help as this was always a confusing point to me- what makes the mill pattern indicative of Izhevsk? Would it not be clearly marked on the front left of the base?
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    I'm scratching my head as well in regard to the mount being called an Izhevsk based on the mill pattern. I have and do have many that are identical with the same markings and clearly Tula proofed. I don't see anything that leads me to think that the bolt was ground. Look how sharp the bevel at the bolt base is and how sharp the numbers. My 44's have 4 holes as well. I had a 43 that had a rear hole drilled but as Vaughn states it was not total- like they made a depth booboo or it was "pushed" out by the pin being seated then ground to clear the bolt path.
    Just for my own help as this was always a confusing point to me- what makes the mill pattern indicative of Izhevsk? Would it not be clearly marked on the front left of the base?
    The mill pattern reference was to the mount not the base. Wartime Izhevsk mounts typically show a much larger diameter mill pattern on the receiver-facing side than Tulas.

Izhevsk:

Tula:

And the mill pattern on this particular Tula mount is a bit larger diameter than one usually sees on Tulas, which is what threw me in the initial pictures (pic 4 in the first batch).

Yea, the mount back in post one sure did look typical Izhevsk but in post 15 it was clearly Tula.

MOA with a PU is always good news on the first outing. Glad you got a good shooter too. Years ago it was hard to get many folks to even believe you when one reported MOA or better with a PU.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    Yea, the mount back in post one sure did look typical Izhevsk but in post 15 it was clearly Tula.

MOA with a PU is always good news on the first outing. Glad you got a good shooter too. Years ago it was hard to get many folks to even believe you when one reported MOA or better with a PU.

Some people still won't believe it. But they can believe or not as they wish: I've lived it, and I'm not even a great marksman.

Some people still won't believe it. But they can believe or not as they wish: I've lived it, and I'm not even a great marksman.
    We know you are a good marksman but even an OK one like me can do it pretty often with good ammo. Pretty amazing rifles IMO.