Default H&R Reising Model 65 National Match USMC .22 Rifle

All,

I just purchased a scarce Harrington & Richardson Model 65 National Match USMC Rifle. I have seen that some speculation exists regarding the details of this type of rifle, so that's why I'm posting about it here. I welcome any further input you may have on it.

I have also seen an online mention of a magazine article that may have covered these rifles. I am not aware of such an article, and if anyone has the details regarding which magazine published the article, I would be interested in gaining the information.

The rifle is marked "USMC," and "NM" on the left hand side of the receiver. It has a Weaver G4 scope mounted on a Stith mount, and the rifle is in the 10,000 serial; number range. It has a bull barrel, and is quite hefty. It's a very nice rifle.

I took a couple of pictures of the receiver markings. The serial number has been partially obscured in Photoshop. Here are the receiver marking pictures:

Here is a picture of the Weaver G4 scope. (El Paso manufacture)

Here are some overall pictures from the dealer website from where I purchased the rifle:

I would like to document additional National Match Reisings, if anyone has more information.

Thanks!

David Albert
    [email protected]
    Last edited by dalbert; 03-27-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Server issue replaced quotations with other symbols

Default ...

You need to contact Cass about this rifle. Nice find.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

dalbert:

Interesting rifle. I have to say I haven't heard of those before. The barrel looks nice.

What are the markings on the barrel in the last picture?

Cass

Default Barrel Markings

Cass,

The barrel has manufacturer markings on it, similar to the receiver. They are partially obscured by the scope mount. Here is what is marked on the barrel:

MFG BY HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
    WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

(and)

.22 LONG RIFLE ONLY

David Albert
    [email protected]

Have you researched what matches this would have used a rifle of this type at Camp Perry? I don't recall any allowing the use of a telescopic sight.

great, glad you got this rifle, it needed to go to a good home.

doug

Default Rifle Features for Scoped Use

Quote Originally Posted by breakeyp View Post
    Have you researched what matches this would have used a rifle of this type at Camp Perry? I don't recall any allowing the use of a telescopic sight.
    breakeyp,

I will see what I can learn about matches that might have allowed telescopic sights at CampPerry, circa 1945-50.

The rifle shows no sign of ever having an aperture sight installed on it, and it does not have a front sight, nor any provision for a front sight. The Parkerizing is uniform on the barrel and receiver. The rifle appears to have been intended for scoped use originally.

Quote Originally Posted by hrman View Post
    great, glad you got this rifle, it needed to go to a good home. doug

Thanks, Doug! Do you have any more information about the rifle that you might be able to add to the discussion?

David Albert
    [email protected]

It my be darn accurate, my experience with the twoI have, one civilian and one trainer is that precision is excellent, the retainer of the bolt is a bit tricky though-

Default Thanks, Doug!!

Quote Originally Posted by hrman View Post
    great, glad you got this rifle, it needed to go to a good home.

doug
    hrman (Doug M.),

When I replied to you earlier, I thought you were the person I spoke to on the phone at the shop who sold me the rifle. I realize now that you're Doug M., who told me about the rifle in the first place. Thanks a bunch for letting me know about it. Without your e-mail, I would probably would have never seen it. Much appreciated! Hope all is well with you!

David Albert
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dalbert View Post
    breakeyp,

I will see what I can learn about matches that might have allowed telescopic sights at CampPerry, circa 1945-50.

The rifle shows no sign of ever having an aperture sight installed on it, and it does not have a front sight, nor any provision for a front sight. The Parkerizing is uniform on the barrel and receiver. The rifle appears to have been intended for scoped use originally.

Thanks, Doug! Do you have any more information about the rifle that you might be able to add to the discussion?

David Albert
    [email protected]
    I took a look at my rifle and supsect that the mounting holes for the receiver sight are the same as the ones used for your scope mount. The stock cutout for the rear sight seems to be the same as your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by breakeyp View Post
    I took a look at my rifle and supsect that the mounting holes for the receiver sight are the same as the ones used for your scope mount. The stock cutout for the rear sight seems to be the same as your rifle.
    breakyp,

Yes, you are correct that the scope is mounted to the same holes as an aperture sight. I was thinking that if an aperture sight had been previously mounted, that I would see some shadowing or wear evidence that might indicate the previous sight's presence. It does not have any marks that would indicate so.

David Albert
    [email protected]

Nice rifle. This gun has been on my want list for years. Have never seen one yet, much less a national match. The mounts are realy neat. I have a Remington 513 S with these mounts and scope. Works great and no extra holes. Some day I will find a military one. See civillian version occasionaly.

I have the civilian version of the Leatherneck; a great shooting .22.

Here's a photo or two:

Wow, thats not one you see every day, especially with a Stith mount (I've only ever seen those on Savage 99s)

Beautiful parkerizing too.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

have one of these, H&R reising model 65 22 lr that i have had for years in the back of the closet, never knew anything about them, but mine there is no military markings anywhere on it and it has a dovetail and rear sight, the front sight is like the one used on m1 carbines, there was a aperature sight on it at one time but it is long gone, just the base remains, was this a civilian version or something, thanks
    Last edited by 16dogs; 12-22-2011 at 07:49 PM.

If it has the base for an aperture sight in back, it shouldn't have the dovetail.

This link will lead you to a lot of useful information

http://www.machinegunboards.com/foru...showtopic=9688

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

thank you very much, very usefull information, mine is probably another example of someones stupidity of adding and butchering a fine old rifle by adding a rear sight on the rifle where it should'nt be, ashame to ruin a part of history

Looks wrong to me, looks more like something from the 1960's.
    Last edited by MeatMissile; 12-25-2011 at 10:36 PM.