Gunboards Forums banner

H&R Reising Model 65 National Match USMC .22 Rifle

17K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  MeatMissile 
#1 · (Edited)
All,

I just purchased a scarce Harrington & Richardson Model 65 National Match USMC Rifle. I have seen that some speculation exists regarding the details of this type of rifle, so that's why I'm posting about it here. I welcome any further input you may have on it.

I have also seen an online mention of a magazine article that may have covered these rifles. I am not aware of such an article, and if anyone has the details regarding which magazine published the article, I would be interested in gaining the information.

The rifle is marked "USMC," and "NM" on the left hand side of the receiver. It has a Weaver G4 scope mounted on a Stith mount, and the rifle is in the 10,000 serial; number range. It has a bull barrel, and is quite hefty. It's a very nice rifle.

I took a couple of pictures of the receiver markings. The serial number has been partially obscured in Photoshop. Here are the receiver marking pictures:

Here is a picture of the Weaver G4 scope. (El Paso manufacture)

Here are some overall pictures from the dealer website from where I purchased the rifle:

I would like to document additional National Match Reisings, if anyone has more information.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

See less See more
#4 ·
Barrel Markings

Cass,

The barrel has manufacturer markings on it, similar to the receiver. They are partially obscured by the scope mount. Here is what is marked on the barrel:

MFG BY HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

(and)

.22 LONG RIFLE ONLY

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#7 ·
Rifle Features for Scoped Use

Have you researched what matches this would have used a rifle of this type at Camp Perry? I don't recall any allowing the use of a telescopic sight.
breakeyp,

I will see what I can learn about matches that might have allowed telescopic sights at CampPerry, circa 1945-50.

The rifle shows no sign of ever having an aperture sight installed on it, and it does not have a front sight, nor any provision for a front sight. The Parkerizing is uniform on the barrel and receiver. The rifle appears to have been intended for scoped use originally.

great, glad you got this rifle, it needed to go to a good home. doug
Thanks, Doug! Do you have any more information about the rifle that you might be able to add to the discussion?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#9 ·
Thanks, Doug!!

great, glad you got this rifle, it needed to go to a good home.

doug
hrman (Doug M.),

When I replied to you earlier, I thought you were the person I spoke to on the phone at the shop who sold me the rifle. I realize now that you're Doug M., who told me about the rifle in the first place. Thanks a bunch for letting me know about it. Without your e-mail, I would probably would have never seen it. Much appreciated! Hope all is well with you!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#12 ·
Nice rifle. This gun has been on my want list for years. Have never seen one yet, much less a national match. The mounts are realy neat. I have a Remington 513 S with these mounts and scope. Works great and no extra holes. Some day I will find a military one. See civillian version occasionaly.

#16 · (Edited)
have one of these, H&R reising model 65 22 lr that i have had for years in the back of the closet, never knew anything about them, but mine there is no military markings anywhere on it and it has a dovetail and rear sight, the front sight is like the one used on m1 carbines, there was a aperature sight on it at one time but it is long gone, just the base remains, was this a civilian version or something, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.