B-West 9x18 ammo...

Thread: B-West 9x18 ammo...

Default B-West 9x18 ammo...

I stole this pic from North Bender's ammo sticky (I hope he doesn't mind) to show what ammo I checked out. It's B-West import: (Tula Cartridge Works) Tula, Russia. North Bender gives an average velocity of 930fps with this ammo. I pulled down one round and measured the bullet: It's 105.1grs. (same weight that North Bender got), not 100grs. as stated on the box. The bullet has a steel copper washed jacket and measured at .364dia. The powder charge was exactly 3.5grs of an odd yellow colored small extruded type powder. I burned the powder and it's very fast burning, as would be expected. Case is copper washed steel with Berdan primer. I did a nail test to see if the primer is indeed corrosive (I know that it's been verified as corrosive, but I just wanted to see for my self). I will know in a day or two.
    I doubt I added anything new about this well known ammo, it was strictly a boredom project.
    I only have 31rds of this stuff; does anyone know how it shoots, accuracy wise? I'm assuming good since most Mak ammo shoots well.
    Last edited by Makaccurateone; 01-31-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Makaccurateone View Post

I stole this pic from North Bender's ammo sticky (I hope he doesn't mind) to show what ammo I checked out. It's B-West import: (Tula Cartridge Works) Tula, Russia. North Bender gives an average velocity of 930fps with this ammo. I pulled down one round and measured the bullet: It's 105.1grs. (same weight that North Bender got), not 100grs. as stated on the box. The bullet has a steel copper washed jacket and measured at .364dia. The powder charge was exactly 3.5grs of an odd yellow colored small extruded type powder. I burned the powder and it's very fast burning, as would be expected. Case is copper washed steel with Berdan primer. I did a nail test to see if the powder is indeed corrosive (I know that it's been verified as corrosive, but I just wanted to see for my self). I will know in a day or two.
    I doubt I added anything new about this well known ammo, it was strictly a boredom project.
    I only have 31rds of this stuff; does anyone know how it shoots, accuracy wise? I'm assuming good since most Mak ammo shoots well.
    You are not likely going to get ant kind of valid results from nail testing the POWDER. Only VERY VERY VERY rarely is POWDER going to be corrosive on its own (unless it is black powder). Depending on how you tested it (if you set the powder afire without firing the primer in the case), that test might be inconclusive.

You need to check the PRIMER. The nail test normally consists of just popping the primer in an uncharged empty case at the nail.

And now you are down to 30!

Anyhow, given the vintage of the ammunition and the fact that B West found it necessary to pay a flunky to go through what was probably a few thousand cases of this stuff to strike out the 'non' on EVERY 16 round box in EVERY case they had before they sold it, my money is going to be heavily on the fact that it is going to be corrosive.

I have mostly only plinked with that stuff, so I can't tell you for sire how it groups. The half case or so I have shot so far has been sure-fire, and I was usually able to hit what I was aiming at (or came darn close) when I was plinking with it.

I do also recall that 'skybusting' at a random target (usually a highly visible rock or a clay pigeon that was 'pissing me off') on a backstop about 70 yards away from my position usually resulted in a strike within a foot or less of what I was aiming at. Not really scientific, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Ronbo6; 01-31-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Curious as to the cleaning procedure for a fixed barrel after firing corrosive ammo? With my Glock I can just remove the barrel and wash it in the sink whether it's been fired with corrosive ammo or not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
    Curious as to the cleaning procedure for a fixed barrel after firing corrosive ammo? With my Glock I can just remove the barrel and wash it in the sink whether it's been fired with corrosive ammo or not.
    Just remove the slide assembly, then clean the barrel as is (on frame).
    Also, clean the bolt face too, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    then clean the barrel as is
    I'm assuming you wouldn't use hot soapy water with it on the frame.

Hot soapy (Simple Green) water is how the guy on that "Makarov Armorer" CD did it. I might have the name of that CD wrong - it was pretty famous.

Makacc I saw results on the nail within 24 hrs. There is certainly no doubt it's corrosive (did you sandpaper the nail and a control nail?).
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    You are not likely going to get ant kind of valid results from nail testing the POWDER. Only VERY VERY VERY rarely is POWDER going to be corrosive on its own (unless it is black powder). Depending on how you tested it (if you set the powder afire without firing the primer in the case), that test might be inconclusive.

You need to check the PRIMER. The nail test normally consists of just popping the primer in an uncharged empty case at the nail.

And now you are down to 30!

Anyhow, given the vintage of the ammunition and the fact that B West found it necessary to pay a flunky to go through what was probably a few thousand cases of this stuff to strike out the 'non' on EVERY 16 round box in EVERY case they had before they sold it, my money is going to be heavily on the fact that it is going to be corrosive.

I have mostly only plinked with that stuff, so I can't tell you for sire how it groups. The half case or so I have shot so far has been sure-fire, and I was usually able to hit what I was aiming at (or came darn close) when I was plinking with it.

I do also recall that 'skybusting' at a random target (usually a highly visible rock or a clay pigeon that was 'pissing me off') on a backstop about 70 yards away from my position usually resulted in a strike within a foot or less of what I was aiming at. Not really scientific, but it is what it is.
    That was a typo, I meant the primer. I did detonate the primer over the nail.

Quote Originally Posted by North Bender View Post
    Hot soapy (Simple Green) water is how the guy on that "Makarov Armorer" CD did it. I might have the name of that CD wrong - it was pretty famous.

Makacc I saw results on the nail within 24 hrs. There is certainly no doubt it's corrosive (did you sandpaper the nail and a control nail?).
    NB, yes I did sandpaper the nail before detonating the primer on it. I'll check it tomorrow for rust.

What is the verdict on the nail test?

Less than 48hrs and the nail isn't looking good; it's black and yellowish with a little rust already. Clean those pistols after firing this stuff! I knew that it was confirmed to be corrosive, so I'm not surprised.

Cleaning isn't a big deal. You can use ammonia solution or hot water on the bore. Compressed air does wonders to dry. I remember cleaning after the EG surplus sold loose in bags in that fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by TempusFugit View Post
    Cleaning isn't a big deal. You can use ammonia solution or hot water on the bore. Compressed air does wonders to dry. I remember cleaning after the EG surplus sold loose in bags in that fashion.
    Actually, the straight blow back pistols get that black soot everywhere, not just the bore. When cleaning my Makarov, the bore is the easiest with it's chrome lining; it's the rest of the slide and frame that I make sure is really clean (especially if firing corrosive). Fortunately, I don't have much corrosive ammo, so it's no big deal for me.

Eastpointe (formerly East Detroit), Michigan

Shoot the open box and keep the unopened box, clean your pistol, then go buy 2 boxes to replace the open box you fired. Makarov mathematics.

Firearm mathematics - it works for all of them.

I bought a 1000 round case of ammo 10-12 years ago that look exactly like the round shown (not the box). The 50 round green boxes I have show r backward N c in a diamond, but everything else is in Russian. Down to the last few boxes and all went bang to my memory. Maybe same?

Not the same Swabby. B-West was manufactured at the Tula Cartridge Works (in Tula, Russia). Your ammo was made at the Low Voltage Equipment Plant, Novosibirsk, Russia. That green box LVE had a good reputation, and was not corrosive. There's more info on these cartridges in the ammo sticky above.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Much obliged for the info on these rounds. As I clean after every use (things you learn young you retain) I don't pay any attention to the non-corrosive lettering on these Russian boxes.
    Thanks again.