The "official" dog collar for the double sling slot m/28

Thread: The "official" dog collar for the double sling slot m/28

Default The "official" dog collar for the double sling slot m/28

A supply contract has it that the S.Y. ordered 10.500 pcs. of elongated dog collars for their new double sling slot m/28 rifles from Friitalan Nahkatehdas on October 1928. Does anyone have such a dog collar as described by the technical requirements below?

-Length 385 +/- 5mm when measured from the turn for the buckle to the point on the other end
    -Width 15 +/- 1mm and thickness 2.75 +/- 0.25mm
    -Two-fold portion for retaining the buckle max. 6mm thick and 25-30mm long
    -Raw material "Plattinahka" (not sure how to translate this correctly but it means sturdy vegetable-tanned leather)
    -End of the collar cut oval and fitted with six holes for the prong
    -First hole punched at the distance of 35mm from the oval end and the following four holes at 15mm from each other
    -The sixth hole at 150mm away from the oval end
    -Edges of leather rounded constantly and fitted with creasings at 2-2.5mm from the edge
    -Buckle fixed with stitchings going along the edges of leather at 2.5-3mm from the edge
    -Buckle with two-sided construction, made of white metal, Argentan
    -Buckle external length & width 22.5x21mm, internal length & width 17x15.3mm
    Last edited by CH; 02-02-2017 at 05:15 AM.

The dog collar in question should have appearance something like this. The supply contract doesn't include any blueprint and this one on the right is reconstructed from the later m/30 dog collar seen on the left.

Last edited by CH; 02-02-2017 at 05:23 AM.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I may have one Antti. I'll have to look.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Put me at the top of the list when you're ready to sell the reproductions!! I have eight double slotted M28s.

Plus, they would give me a great base to mount your gorgeous repro sling on one

Yes Sir, in progress. Making a dog collar longer and changing the point shape are really simple things to do.

Here's the prototype. I don't have a double slot m/28 to demonstrate how this collar works but you can buckle it almost like a standard one if you use the sixth hole.

Last edited by CH; 03-12-2017 at 11:24 AM.

I don't have a M28 double slot, but that photography is luscious.

Thanks. The rifle was dripping down of the log pile all the time. Now the refinish looks much nicer.

Looks great!
    Let me know if you want someone to test one out. I own a bunch of double slot M28s. Though I do believe they are all uniform in their spacing.
    Plus, you know I'm ordering some to go with your sling

I tried to PM, but your box was full.

Boy KD you put me to shame. I only own two double slots and have only one dog collar. Mine appears to be new or new off the shelf. I looked and couldn't find any markings on it. Could be a repo for all I know? Nice work CH, also did you use Pine Tar on the refinish? Regards, John.

Sean, did you find anything?

Knuckle dragger, there's some space now...

John, I put some PT maybe ten years ago but then I removed it all, stained the stock and added some "oil resin lacquer" bought from antique store. I wouldn't have liked to refinish but previous owner had stripped the stock, so. This is a competition rifle anyway.

CH I will try and get some pics taken of several dog collars I have gotten over the years maybe this weekend at the show and see what you and others think they may be from. I believe they are Finnish in origin but what they came off of I am not at all sure. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Thanks Bill!

No known (to me) samples so far although according to the contract 10,500 collars were produced. Wear and tear destroyed most of them and some were probably converted to standard length collars as the double slot m/28 was only briefly produced variant.

Last edited by CH; 03-16-2017 at 01:03 PM.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

The two that I have, look similar to the one you have shown, but I will try to get a better picture and information about them.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

That sounds quite something. So far I've only seen SA "universal collars" which look more or less like this. What they have in common is riveted construction and usually roller buckle.

Last edited by CH; 03-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Yeah, I'll get some pics of these collars that Zeebill has. Measurements might be fun, cause all yours are in metric, and I don't have a reliable tape measure in metric! You know us Americans!!
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

Converting is easy, one inch equals 25.4 millimetres. The double slot m/28 collar length should be about 15.16". Standard Civil Guard rifle sling collar is about 8.27"

However, the collar we're dealing with here should have, if unaltered, slightly yellowish cast buckle that is sewn instead of riveted. These features will narrow down quite a few candidates!
    Last edited by CH; 03-18-2017 at 12:37 AM.

In looking back on them CH we found they were all riveted so I'm supposing they were all universal ones and we didn't take any pictures. One I have came installed in a double sling slot stock but it too is riveted. I assume the term universal means they could be used anywhere so that would explain the cut one. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

CH,
    I have a long dog collar from an early m28 ski trooper (#266 that is all matching) that meets some (but not all) of the specifications you list out in the OP above. Perhaps it is a repro or later version? It looks consistent with other dog collars I have so who knows. Perhaps you have some insight.

Specifically:

-Length 385 +/- 5mm when measured from the turn for the buckle to the point on the other end

The length of mine is 345mm

-Width 15 +/- 1mm and thickness 2.75 +/- 0.25mm

Matches.

-Two-fold portion for retaining the buckle max. 6mm thick and 25-30mm long

-Raw material "Plattinahka" (not sure how to translate this correctly but it means sturdy vegetable-tanned leather)

-End of the collar cut oval and fitted with six holes for the prong

Pointed end with 5 holes

-First hole punched at the distance of 35mm from the oval end and the following four holes at 15mm from each other

50mm from end ; 20mm apart ; If it were an oval end, the first hole would be about 35mm from the end.

-The sixth hole at 150mm away from the oval end

170mm from end; if it had an oval end it would be close to 150mm from the end.

-Edges of leather rounded constantly and fitted with creasings at 2-2.5mm from the edge

-Buckle fixed with stitchings going along the edges of leather at 2.5-3mm from the edge

Buckle has a rivet but the keeper is stitched.

-Buckle with two-sided construction, made of white metal, Argentan

Roller buckle

-Buckle external length & width 22.5x21mm, internal length & width 17x15.3mm

Exact dimensions.

-----------
    Josh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	2082674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	2082682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	2082690