Gunboards Forums banner

T53 1960 series claimed Vietnam bringback

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Sumo 
#1 ·
Acquired this recently and wanted op on gun, dd603 and flag. Bought from disabled vet who claimed to know the vet on the 603. Flag looks more like bring back souvenir then real. Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just go to the Cho Tai Sinh market in Saigon and pick your flag, this is one from there...that is Saigon today , not Saigon of war years . So your eagle eyes on flag being suspect is 100%

The paper...I'll let others comment. I think the rifle looks the part if the paper passes the smell test

Just a comment, its remarkable if the rifle is legit, it did not get chromed and stock refinished, that was a booming industry out side TSN air base and GI's loved a chromed war trophy. This rifle if papers are to legit, has the rifle at TSN at some point, and escaped this plight.

I don't know why anyone with a legit bring back would add a fake flag other than to make it a spicy deal. Thus get more money for it. W/o seeing that flag , the rifle looks good to go and I'd not have my radar spinning as much on that paper work being legit. However, adding that flag diminishes the credibility of seller you got the rifle from ...that would bother me about the papers.

W/o flag, if that rifle and paper crossed my path, I'd be tempted to believe its a valid bring back. .. and it still may be but...that flag muddies the waters rather than proves its a bonifide war trophy.

The flag would make a good door mat .

#3 ·
Just go to the Cho Tai Sinh market in Saigon and pick your flag, this is one from there...that is Saigon today , not Saigon of war years . So your eagle eyes on flag being suspect is 100%

The paper...I'll let others comment. I think the rifle looks the part if the paper passes the smell test

Just a comment, its remarkable if the rifle is legit, it did not get chromed and stock refinished, that was a booming industry out side TSN air base and GI's loved a chromed war trophy. This rifle if papers are to legit, has the rifle at TSN at some point, and escaped this plight.

I don't know why anyone with a legit bring back would add a fake flag other than to make it a spicy deal. Thus get more money for it. W/o seeing that flag , the rifle looks good to go and I'd not have my radar spinning as much on that paper work being legit. However, adding that flag diminishes the credibility of seller you got the rifle from ...that would bother me about the papers.

W/o flag, if that rifle and paper crossed my path, I'd be tempted to believe its a valid bring back. .. and it still may be but...that flag muddies the waters rather than proves its a bonifide war trophy.

The flag would make a good door mat .
Ditto. But I'll add that I believe the rifle is almost without question a bringback. A very nice example with a field replacement Russian stock. The sling with para cord loops looks good too. I would accept the rifle as it stands.

In my opinion the trophy document is a very bad fake. The flag as my friend Skip notes is a postwar commercial piece made for tourists and foreign collectors.

To repeat what has already been stated, the only doubts I have about this rifle are those created by the fakery that surrounds it. Nonetheless I still believe the rifle and sling are good.

#6 ·
Sumo , I think Richard has framed it well..rifle looks good to go. Hats off to you for eagle eyes on the smoke screen of flag and papers. Hope you got rifle for a fair price and in this hobby, when things don't pass the smell test...go with your nose !! Successful collectors develop great senses for what is right and what is suspect.

Now , if one could bottle this ability to detect deceit , it would save a lot of guys grief on divorces...those women can skunk us males , they fight unfair !!

#8 ·
I agree on the rifle but disagree on the paperwork. And even if it were good it is so badly typed as to not be very useful to validate the piece. I've seen hundreds of docs but none typed this badly, and the AF docs are usually the cleanest of all. The data in the doc looks ok to a cursory check but It differs in another way also - but I'll keep that to myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.