East German Makarov

Thread: East German Makarov

Default East German Makarov

I got very lucky. Bought it locally from an older gentleman. He had it for more than 20 years. The package includes the following:

1962 East German Makarov
    2 grips (the one installed in the pic below is not original but I really like it and it also looks a lot better)
    6 magazines total
    holster
    300 rounds of brass case ammo

All for 400 $Makarovs.

I had a couple Bulgarian Makarov but was so dumb and sold them awhile ago. No way I am ever going to get rid of this one.

BE
    Last edited by Bigeyes; 02-03-2017 at 11:51 PM.

You stole that, congrats!
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

You got a sweet deal!
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."

Will Rogers

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

My dad had one. When he passed my older brother got it. I really love the fit and finish work on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got a heck of a good deal. Congrats!

That's the way to buy a gun. Nice going.

So, what does the Y in a spotted circle mean?

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Coffee View Post
    That's the way to buy a gun. Nice going.

So, what does the Y in a spotted circle mean?
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...karov-Markings
    ["The circle of dots also has significance. Each dot represents a specific inspection test that was performed on that pistol. The stamp that was used to perform this imprinting has movable punches in the place of each dot. The individual dots could be either selected or deselected, depending on whether that test was performed on that pistol. The absence of dots in the circle pattern does not necessarily mean that the pistol failed those tests, but rather that the tests may not have been performed on that pistol. For example, if factory quotas or time constraints were such, then the live test firing of a days, or weeks production of pistols might not have been performed."

That is pretty much correct, the Letter denotes the Military Inspector who preformed the final inspection on a given weapon, be it Pistole M, AK, whatever. The dots are arranged in a circle around the Inspectors mark, like the numbers on the face of a clock. Each pistol is given a certian number of tests, but depending on time and production constraints, not all pistols received all the tests. Some tests were only done to every 50th pistol, or 25th, or so on. Each Dot denotes one test, and if that test was done, than that dot was added when the Inspectors mark was stamped.

The Stamp itself has the letter in the middle, with eight tabs around it, each tab is numbered 1 - 8, and the tab is locked down if that test was completed on the pistol being marked. If the test was not done, then the tab is left in the up position. When the stamping pressure is applied, the letter and any of the tabs in the down position leave an impression, any in the up position do not.]
    makarovdotcom
    Last edited by martinbanner; 02-05-2017 at 09:23 AM.

OP I would advise purchasing a new original black grip and black nylon lanyard while they are still easily obtained. Nice find, looks beautiful

I had an appointment to purchase that from the same guy. Backpage Las Vegas. You beat me by 45 minutes! Oh well....
    You can have my guns when you pry them out of my ex-wife's cold dead fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Coup de tat View Post
    I had an appointment to purchase that from the same guy. Backpage Las Vegas. You beat me by 45 minutes! Oh well....
    I have no knowledge of that. He never mentioned it, only stated I contacted him first (Night of Saturday, January 28, 2017) and we immediately met up for the transaction. As a matter of fact, he voluntarily offered to accept $400 (his listing price was $450) for the package. Hope you don't feel that I paid him more so he would sell it to me.

BE

I love the Maks, I carried one as a backup when I was an active deputy sheriff and at range qualifications the Maks accuracy astounded everyone!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
    OP I would advise purchasing a new original black grip and black nylon lanyard while they are still easily obtained. Nice find, looks beautiful
    I agree, the East German MAK has the distinctive black checkered grip without a lanyard loop, I would also recommend getting the correct EG original black grip to match

the black grips are still available, and cheap.

Eastpointe (formerly East Detroit), Michigan

My EG Mak also came with those incorrect red bakelite grips...I wonder why they were swapped out?

Quote Originally Posted by mkdm0 View Post
    I love the Maks, I carried one as a backup when I was an active deputy sheriff and at range qualifications the Maks accuracy astounded everyone!!

I've never shot one. How accurate are they at say, 15 yards? at 25 yards? Would all shots from a magazine stay in the space of an average hand at 25 yards? Assuming that the shooter is an expert shot?

Is some type of ammo considered especially accurate? I just learned that Winchester makes this caliber, and would tend to favor that over various Euro and Chinese ammo. However, the Winchester site didn't list velocity. Bullet weight is 95 grains.

P.S. I just checked the ammo sticky in this forum and was amazed at the thoroughness and variety of ammo tried. It includes Winchester, which seems on the mild side for caliber. However, no accuracy tests were done, so I still need comments about how well your Mak shoots, if you know yourself to be an excellent shot.
    Last edited by Lone Star; 02-05-2017 at 06:59 PM.

The Makarovs tend to be very accurate because of the fixed barrel. I am not an expert shot and could not group in a handprint at 25 yards with my Makarovs or any other handgun shooting off hand. But that's me at 72 years with failing eyes and not the gun(s).

I've got a '64 with an "S" with 7 dots around it .I gave $500.00 for it with 4 mags.Did I get ripped ?

Quote Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
    The Makarovs tend to be very accurate because of the fixed barrel. I am not an expert shot and could not group in a handprint at 25 yards with my Makarovs or any other handgun shooting off hand. But that's me at 72 years with failing eyes and not the gun(s).

Well, thanks, anyway, I guess. I'm aware of the advantages of a fixed barrel, as I had a Walther PP 7.65mm. It definitely shot within my rough measure of accuracy, but occasionally jammed. A Beretta M-34 shot almost as well, and was fully reliable. But it had a very heavy trigger pull that made it difficult to get the best from it. I usually use Ruger and S&W small .38 or.357 revolvers with three-inch barrels in the role where I'd carry a Makarov or other small auto.

I am also 72, but see very well after cataract surgery. I don't feel 72, and have the same interests that I always have had. I'm a Gemini, and we supposedly age well and look younger than we are. It seems true in my case, and I expect the same accuracy and reliability in a gun that I always have.

I bought one of these 22 years ago, when I was young. They are super accurate. Sold it to for some stupid reason.
    Remember it was an awesome accurate pistol, but rounds were hard to find back then. Now I'm am bidding on one to obtain again.
    Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by Colorado68; 02-05-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Too much super bowl drinking

Nice. I just won a east German off gun broker late last week.I pretty sure I beat out one of our fellow board members for it. I'll post pictures when I get it. I have two Bulgarians already. IDK what I need another PM for. To see if these East Germans are all that I guess. Good score OP.

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado68 View Post
    I bought one of these 22 years ago, when I was young. They are super accurate. Sold it to for some stupid reason.
    Remember it was an awesome accurate pistol, but rounds were hard to find back then. Now I'm am bidding on one to obtain again.
    Thanks for posting!
    That caused me to check to see how long ago I bought mine. I got it from SOG in November 1993, apparently unused, with extra mag and holster ............................. for $118.40 + $9.00 shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Makarov 2.JPG  

Makarov 1.JPG  

Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers are here (Index is in post #1):
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

III, GOA Life

Really nice Makarov, and boy did you get a GREAT deal! Congrats

Would love to have an East German Mak...... Back in the day, I bought a pair of Commercial Bulgarians in New in Box condition When they were only $120 each, and had them hard chrome plated--- I think it was called Armaloy...... They are great shooters...... I put the Black East German Grips on them and they are sharp looking. Back when I bought these, you could get non corrosive 9x18 ammo for about $150 per 1000--- and spare mags for $4. Wish I would have stocked up on more than I did........ If any of the Makarovs were manufactured today with the same quality, they would likely be upwards of $800 to $1000.

bplvr:
    The price you paid (incl. mags) appears decent if the gun was not abused.

The only reason I got some better deals with the last two years was because the first seller has no interest in milsurps and thought that the EG was a Bulgy.
    EG #2 (a year ago) was a good deal because it was on consignment in a gun shop, and the seller simply wanted to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Well, thanks, anyway, I guess. I'm aware of the advantages of a fixed barrel, as I had a Walther PP 7.65mm. It definitely shot within my rough measure of accuracy, but occasionally jammed. A Beretta M-34 shot almost as well, and was fully reliable. But it had a very heavy trigger pull that made it difficult to get the best from it. I usually use Ruger and S&W small .38 or.357 revolvers with three-inch barrels in the role where I'd carry a Makarov or other small auto.

I am also 72, but see very well after cataract surgery. I don't feel 72, and have the same interests that I always have had. I'm a Gemini, and we supposedly age well and look younger than we are. It seems true in my case, and I expect the same accuracy and reliability in a gun that I always have.
    You're a better man than I am. I'm sure a Makarov will put 8 rounds in a playing card at 25 yards for you. They are also extremely reliable and the trigger pull on my German is on a par with my better S&W revolvers.

I picked up the younger sibling of your pistol last Aug (2016). SN: BU5100, also made in 1962. Same inspection marks as yours, but imported by CAI, when they still used the small stamps. Mine shows a bit more wear than yours, but still in very good condition. It came with two magazines, one matching, and a holster. I bought it from a local dealer who had it on GunBroker for $384, out the door. I thought I got a pretty fair deal on mine, but you did much better. You gotta be patient, but you can still find fair deals out there.
    "Though I've belted you and flayed you, by the livin' Gawd that made you, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"