PA-63 barrel questions

Thread: PA-63 barrel questions

Default PA-63 barrel questions

A few years ago I purchased a PA-63 and was told that the person who had I before me was shooting .380 acp out of it. Itís been sitting in my safe since then and I have lately decided to take it out and shoot it. Iíve heard and read a lot of opinions about shooting 380 out of a 9x18 barrel and vise-a-versa.

So hereís my some of my questions.

While I know that there are 380 barrels around, if a 380 barrel was installed would the barrel be marked as a 380 barrel on it somewhere? The slide is marked 9mm and the frame is marked 9mm mak.

Without slugging the barrel, is there any other way to determine if the barrel is original or has been changed?

Then, should I just not worry and shoot my 9x18ís out of it?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Will it chamber a 9mm Makarov? A .380 barrel shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GyMac View Post
    Will it chamber a 9mm Makarov? A .380 barrel shouldn't.
    This^^^, a 9x18 will not chamber in a 380acp barrel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys.

I just tried your suggestion. The 9mm mak will chamber.

I then took the slide off to see how far into the breach they both go. With the mak the just the rim was still visible from the back of the breach. The 380 disappeared into it and was flush with the back of the breach. Does this mean anything?

Quote Originally Posted by rehowerter View Post
    Does this mean anything?
    It means it's a 9x18. Blowback pistols only chamber up to the body not the rim or extractor grove.

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better about shooting it. I am toying with placing it on my list for CCW carry, when I apply for one, and need to try some HP's in it. One thing that is different is that the one I have has a black frame instead of a silver frame. How common is this?

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better about shooting it. I am toying with placing it on my list for CCW carry, when I apply for one, and need to try some HP's in it. One thing that is different is that the one I have has a black frame instead of a silver frame. How common is this?
    Just another variation.
    My idea of border control is m-60 machineguns every 100yds with interlocking fields of fire.

If you choose to CC your PA-63, try the Hornady 9x18 95gr. Critical Defense ammo in it. It has a more rounded profile for excellent feeding and expands reliably due to the soft FTX insert in the nose of the bullet.

I will try and get some of those. Currently I only have Silver Bear 94 gr. HP's. Though probably not the best, it's what I have on hand to run a test. I figured if it could run those, it could run almost anything.

I will try and get some of those. Currently I only have Silver Bear 94 gr. HP's. Though probably not the best, it's what I have on hand to run a test. I figured if it could run those, it could run almost anything.
    I mentioned the Hornady brand as a good standard pressure load for the PA-63. With the aluminum alloy frame, I would stay away from the hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff. Even regular hardball would work well for penetration to the vitals.