Gunboards Forums banner

Suggestions for BP Revolver C & B - New, and want in on this Cloud

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  AZshooter 
#1 ·
I am new to BP and looking at/tempted by a 1970 Uberti G & G Navy .44 cap and ball, thinking it may be well made and last me many years ... if not THAT, any suggestions on a solid, affordable BP percussion revolver, possibly in the 1858 Remington/Beal style that will be durable, last me for many years with careful care ... and light-heavy loads ???

How did I NOT come to this Smoke Pole Forum sooner after years on this Board ??

#2 ·
Pietta and Uberti make good 1858 Remington's you can find them on sale at Cabela's quite often. I bought one out of the bargain cave for under 200.00. I use .454 balls and 30gr 777. More accurate than my modern guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
That 1858 Remington looks like the way to go ... Thank you!

From the short BURST of information and videos I have absorbed, I just cannot believe the flexibilty of loads these pistols tolerate, and fine accuracy with ball-loads that are for real. And, the .44 can be loaded to exceed my "modern" 9mm in Ft Lb energy - these are far more powerful than I understood.

Cleaning is just different, not 5x harder, than what good cleaning of modern weapon would be it looks like ... I will find out soon.

I am steering to Uberti and Pietta.

THANK YOU!

#6 ·
Well, Remingtons are popular, and certainly easier to disassemble and clean, but having said that, the Colts were generally speaking, infinitely more popular during and after the Civil War, for mostly valid reasons. For most people, they "hang" in the hand better, and feel "handier", and just seem to go to point-of-aim more rapidly. They also are significantly more resistant to fouling, and can fire longer w/o a disruption for cleaning, clearly something that would be appreciated by a soldier. Just my two cents.

#9 ·
Colt Army is good but if you want a Dirty Harry of the old west go 1847 Colt Walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Handle one first - they are big (15.5 inches long, 9" barrel), heavy (4.5 pounds), and can take a charge up to 60 grains of FFg. With the amount of commotion to be expected. NOT my recommendation for a first-time BP shooter. I'd say an 1851 or 1861 Navy replica in .36 or an 1860 Army in .44 would be the better way. That .44 G&G replica is essentially a fantasy gun, the original Griswold and Gunnison being a brass-framed copy of the 1851 Colt Navy in .36. The Uberti copy is a quite decent firearm. Brass-framed guns have a reputation for not being as durable as steel, but mine has held up well enough.

PS - I prefer the Colt copies to Remingtons. Feel better in the hand, not THAT much hassle to take care of and clean, and as best I can tell, as durable in service.

#11 ·
I grew up with an 1861 Colt Navy Dad brought home from an OGCA show in the late 60's. It was my job to disassemble, clean and reassemble after a day at the range & reassembling a colt Cap & Ball revolver is a skill you'll never forget. I have that gun today & it swtill looks & works like new.

I'd always wanted an 1858 Remington & thru a mistake from Cabelas, ended up with both .44 and .36. Remingtons are easier to disassemble & reassemble & sighting is more conventional than the notch-in-the-hammer Colt sights. Nevertheless, as others may have already stated, these cap & ball pistols are more accurate than modern revolvers - it's true.

I have an 1860 Army that just happens to fit an old shoulder stock & accuracy is outstanding. My favorite? Whichever one I'm shooting at the moment. My latest is an 1851 Colt Navy, but compared to the 1861 Navy, the 1851 is second best of the .36 cal's.

I have a 2nd model Dragoon, which is fun to shoot, but a lighter revolver gets more range time due to shooting comfort of less weight.

Uberti vs Pietta doesn't really matter anymore, since they both use state of the art manufacturing. .36 is a little higher velocity than .44 for target loads, but both are accurate.

My recommendation is to buy by price. Near major holidays, Cabelas often has sales, including either $5 shipping or FREE shipping. If both are cheapest, get the Remington, since it is easier to disassemble & reassemble. You'll likely accumulate several Colts & Remingtons whenever they are on sale.

A benchtop cylinder loader is a handy accessory, especially one you can switch from .44 to .36. If you want accuracy, 33 gr 3F with a paper or felt overpowder wad for any .44 cal can't be beat. 17 gr 3F for any .36 cal. I've found to be optimum. If you need hotter, load it up to the max & blast away, your will lose accuracy. If you need to hotrod it with conicals and some of the BB substitutes, go buy a .45 colt or .44 mag. There's nothing a conical can kill that a roundball won't kill as easily.

#26 ·
YIKES ! 24 POSTS tells me that there is an unbelievable amount of enthusiasm and most of all a huge willingness to help a fellow BP enthusiast-to-be out !

NOW would be a good time for me to ask about the Hogden Se7en powder ... stick to FFFg as a beginner ?
And, what type of lube after -> Powder/Felt lubed pad/BALL/ ?? Lube type ?

I am floored over all this help.

I will certainly look into an Uberti 1858 Remington, and/or a '51 Navy then a '61 Navy.

THANK YOU.

#12 ·
I have the Remington (by Pietta) in .36 caliber, it's been a very reliable & accurate revolver for the 12+ years I've owned it.....couldn't recommend one enough!

#13 ·
for starters the remington, is as noted, the easiest to maintain, and a good starting point. you will find yourself owning more than one c&b and a colt would soon be in your future. of the rem's the pietta offers the lower cost, but unless things have changed, you will not be able load conical bullets on the gun. i had to grind out and reblue the loading port on my 2013 pietta to do so. the more pricy uberti will load the conicals in stock form.

#24 ·
Well, I have to disagree. For the best of just pure fun - a Uberti Walker can't be beat. Just as accurate as the previously mentioned assortment, but with the absurd benefit of routinely loading with 40grs. or more of powder. The simple joy of blasting something with such manageable power, coupled with the accompanying giant swirl of smoke, is hard to match.

#25 ·
Walker's just a little more than I care to heft all day long at the range. Nevertheless, when I load my 2nd Model Dragoon to the max, the .44 Mag shooters all stop by to see what was making the ground shake.

Every one of them thought the Dragoon was more fun to shoot than their .44's:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#28 ·
yea id go with the Remington. .44. I've owned several over the years. the '58 is the sturdy one..... now IMHO nothing 'points' better then a colt ,51. or quick out the leather like a colt '60. i just traded a nice pietta 58 for a pietta 58 sheriffs. hell ill carry this one.target is 20 yards. not quite as good as my long barrel 58 but man! Handy!!!!!!!!!!!! and pietta has come a long! way on quality. after ripping it for cleaning,, the insides are quality! deep blue thruout. the old ones i used to shoot took some after market add ons or replacements to work consonantly. now ,,, no prob. and you can get a extra cylinder for the 58. as to loading there are all kinds of opinions. i use pryodex 'P' 35+ gr, with what ever bullet/ball you load up front. the short barrel 58 is a bit harder to handle with a full charge. note the flyers. this isn't a 22 for sure.

Attachments

#29 ·
Bought a beautiful Uberti 1860 Army here from Plutonius and getting my supplies up for my .44 ... Pyrodex P that horribly corrosive like I read ???

Seller recommended GOEX and still looking for some.

#35 ·
I use 3F Goex and Pyrodex P interchangeably, depending what is available. Same powder measure volume gives me the same accuracy & performance. Corrosive is corrosive & if you clean at the conclusion of a shooting day, you've got no worries.

Corrosive is corrosive, it either is or isn't. Just as in pregnancy, there's no degree of condition. You either are are aren't.

Corrosive salts act by absorbing water, so if you live in the Southwest, where humidity is low, you've got more latitude in having more elapsed time before cleaning.

If you live where Mildew is the state flower (Florida), consider at least running a few wet patches down the bore before leaving for home.

777 & the other foo-foo propellants were originally designed for the snooty-tooty in-line shooters & carry a higher pricetag. Some don't have very long usable shelf life, & some may have a little more power than real BP. Buy what you can afford & shoot whatever you want. I'll keep to using BP & Pyrodex so I don't need to keep a list of loads using various powders for all my guns:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.