Gunboards Forums banner

M1 Garand Re-arsenal code

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tnbackpacker 
#1 ·
I've been trying to trace the history of my Garand, and perhaps a year ago I read an article about arsenal rebuilds. Many of the letter codes which were engraved on the receiver were listed, and the names given of the corresponding arsenals. Well, none of the arsenals matched the markings on my Garand. My Garand says "BA4 7-66". I am assuming the 7-66 refers to July, 1966, but I cannot match the BA4 to anything. The closest match seems to be Belicia Arsenal in California, but this arsenal closed in 1964. Does anybody have any information, or ideas on how to figure out where my Garand was re-worked ?

#4 ·
best i can say is anniston of maybe agusta i might of spelled that right i dont know iam at a lost myself a bud of mine has my good garand books so i can look it for ya

#5 ·
BA is the code for Benicia Arsenal with the month and year of overhaul. This is electro-scribed on a receiver leg, usually the rear leg on the right side. Are you certain about the date? I'm not certain about the "4" following BA. Perhaps it identifies the person who overhauled it. Various numbers will also be found after the AA on rifles overhauled at the Augusta Arsenal in Georgia.

#7 ·
BA4

BA4 is the code for Anniston. At some point in time the arsenals and army depots were assigned codes, most with a "B" prefix. Anniston was assigned "BA4"; Letterkenny was "BK4", and Tooele was BT4". There were others.

If you look at some of the CMP sale documents you will find the "BA4" code on them as well as references to Anniston.

#10 ·
BA 16

"BA 16" is the mark of Benecia Arsenal. The time frame that Benecia used this mark is probably late WW2 or early post War. The number 16 is likely an inspector's number because this same "BA" mark is seen with other numbers, particularly the number 11.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.