RIA .45

Thread: RIA .45

Default RIA .45

Can anybody give me any info on a RIA GI .45? Any yea's or nay's I should know about?
    Any info would be great.....Thanks
    Denny

I have one and love it,shoots great!

I'll second that, I love mine too!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Earlier RIA's came with sub-standard magazines that gave them a reputation for poor reliability. I hope they have remedied that by now, but every stock RIA I have ever shot using Wilson, McCormick, or Mec-Gar mags has run 100% (with ball ammo).

I've seen "tactical" shooters put cheap aftermarket modifications on RIA's that actually reduced reliability.

One respectable gunsmith I know says that the quality of the Philippine cast slides is just OK, and fine for casual shooting but the slide rails will need some serious tweaking around the 5,000 round count, and that if one intends to shoot more than that through the pistol to consider something better. If you can still get the $75 forged Imbel slides then that might be a better solution than tweaking the slide rails, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloDog455 View Post
    One respectable gunsmith I know says that the quality of the Philippine cast slides is just OK, and fine for casual shooting but the slide rails will need some serious tweaking around the 5,000 round count, and that if one intends to shoot more than that through the pistol to consider something better. If you can still get the $75 forged Imbel slides then that might be a better solution than tweaking the slide rails, I dunno.
    According to Armscor the RIA 1911s have an investment cast frame but a forged slide, both in 4140 steel. I have never heard of any problems with cast frames in the past 20 years, since investment casting became common, but before that some inferior ones were produced by Essex. These stories about castings being inferior will circulate forever but the 1911 frame isn't nearly as heavily stressed as the slide. That's because designing it to hold all the components means there's more material in it than it needs to handle the loads.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

ROCK island are basic produce at a great prices...accurate reliable.
    The 3 in one I have out shot my classic full size Kimber by a great margin....sold the Kimber.
    Have three Kimbers now ....about 6 Rocks.
    Only thing I don't like is you can lower hammer on a live round to carry. The old way.( shot my truck found out it's not Sears 80 set up...my ignorance)
    I carry a worthog hammer down loaded chamber.....

Solid, accurate shooting, reliable. I own four 1911s: a Reimngton-Rand, Sistema Colt, Springfield Armory, and a Rock Island. I shot the Rock Island the most frequently and can tell no difference between it and the other three. Buy one. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_VA View Post
    Solid, accurate shooting, reliable. I own four 1911s: a Reimngton-Rand, Sistema Colt, Springfield Armory, and a Rock Island. I shot the Rock Island the most frequently and can tell no difference between it and the other three. Buy one. You won't regret it.
    +11.25
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

If you are looking for the true GI look a new Auto Ordnance GI model is just about exact and does not have the " made in Phillippines" stamping on it. Mine gobbles ammo as well as my Colt 1943, 1911a1.

I have two and they function as well as the higher dollar 1911's I've owned.

I bought one at the last gun show GI 5" FS at a very very good price..It was brand new
    and only had the two rounds that the factory fired thru it. Got it from a dealer that said
    he bought it for a project gun and never got around to it. Came complete with everything
    in the plastic case and with 2 pair of grips.. factory and a very nice pair of wooden checkered
    ones that were already installed. I got it for 350 OTD. I think I did well. I haven't had time
    to shoot it yet..maybe this weekend.
    Denny

Don't own one but know a high volume, hard ridin', low maintenance shooter who does.
    It outlasted a high dollar Para, through at least two factory service calls on the Para!
    Ran a few rounds through it last fall when we were sharing the range, still reasonably
    accurate and 100% reliable even with my 185 grain HP reloads.
    It is still tighter than most of the generic Colts of that age.
    Only real issue he has, is that the finish was kinda tender but his was an older one and
    was glossy blue to start with.
    Kinda has that "Been there, Done that!" look.
    Don't know what current pricing on them is but probably still a good deal.

Brownells has them from $430 so should be available at gun shows for, maybe, less. I'd go a few bucks more for the Tactical.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

I have two and comparing out of the box they're better than the Springfield GI I bought. I think and it's my personal opinion that these are very well built guns for the price. I have 5" 38Super and a Commander size 10mm. I would buy another RIA no question. and as stated the slides are forged and the frames cast.

I have had one in 38 super for about 8 yrs,
    no issues, no worries,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Well, I just hope mine will run OK out of the box. I shoot all reloads with cast bullets and I'm
    very familiar with the workings of the 1911 platform, so I'll be able to address any minor
    issues that might crop up I hope. Just waiting till the weather breaks.
    Denny

only thing I did to my RIA , besides a good cleaning, was to replace the funky factory grips,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

The one I mentioned in my previous has had a couple of thousand rounds of lead reloads
    through it, along with more standard ball than I've probably shot in my whole life.
    (As I said, this guy is high volume, hard riding!)
    Many, many of them learning curve reloads of less than premium quality.
    Owner says it never missed a beat.
    A couple of years back, I went looking for a Commander model in 9mm, RI makes them
    but the local guy that sells them wouldn't budge on the price and it was above my budget
    for another toy, so...........
    Never did get one, as some other shiny thing caught my eye.......LOL

Grips I agree changed on a few I have.
    Moly the rails frame mating surfaces...that's it....they run accurate I shoot hard ball mostly!

Yea, The one I bought came with two sets of grips....The factory ones are funky at best,
    but the dealer had installed a very nice set of double diamond dark wooden grips.
    They really look great.
    Denny

I took those OE wood panels and stripped them and gave them lots of Tung oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16507281_374735549557127_888923280_n.jpg  

Well, I took it out to the range Sun and put 100 rds of 230 gr cast through it without a hitch.
    After about 10 rds of all over the target, it started to find the black bulls eye.
    I took the center out of the bull at about 10 yds. I have 200 more loaded and ready to go.
    I'm a very happy camper.
    Denny

I have several 1911 handguns and my Rock Island 45 pistols are as good or better shooters than my Colts and Kimbers at less than half the price.

Got no complaints.

Just got back from the range and put another 150 rds thru it with narry a hitch.... I think I
    have a winner...
    Denny

I had a basic model, it shot just fine. Ugly grips. Sold it, bought a basic Turkish, shot just fine. Turk is on consignment, bought an enhanced RIA. Beavertail with speed bump, lowered scalloped ejection port, one piece guide rod, put on pachmyer finger groove grips. $560 (a bit high by $60, but I like the LGS, they do a good job when I consign) My big hands got sliced by any base 1911 I owned, so needed the beavertail. This is my jeep pistol, my Sig Carry and Colt gold cup stay in the safe most of the time. I needed a defense pistol that didn't cost an outrageous price, and that I wouldn't cry too hard if it got scratched. Shoots everything as it came with a polished feed ramp. Is it not a Colt, Wilson, Kimber, but I could buy three or more for the cost of them. At defense ranges, I am positive the RIA is accurate enough.
    Last edited by jsc; 02-24-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    I know your junk is bettter than mine, I just don't care.

I looked at all sorts of 1911's a few years ago. Springfield Armory, Kimber, Taurus... all expensive, and all with heavy, gritty triggers. When I was shown a plain Jane RIA for under $400, I figured it had to be a POS, but the trigger out of the box was light, crisp, and absolutely creep free. That decided it for me. I have been very happy with this pistol.

wink2 Dollars cents (sense) of defensive carry choices.....my take on it !

I argue with myself yearly.....have many 9mm 's they lose.....many 45 win!
    Cal decided.
    Have many 45's...ranges $1,500 to $475 maybe a little less?
    Rocks hold there own with some of the very expensive...
    brings to mind my 3 in RI out shot full size My first Kimber classic custom ...sold it. Worthog did to Our!

Off the bench they all have plus / minus's no matter cost!
    Rock islands hard finish better than para's ord.!
    Rock island not having firing pin blocks can't be carried one in chamber hammer down (SHOT MY TRUCK THATS ANOTHER STORY) ..like my warthog which is my daily gun.
    This is but one example...
    As with some here it boils down to self defence accuracy ....and exprence of the carried gun.
    My Wilson worked over gold cup 70. Or a Rock in the truck....well!
    My Kimber with lazer or my para worth hog on my side daily...well!
    My Springfield loaded or my para hog.....well!
    My Kimber CDP custom shop or again my two work guns...$$$$ and common sense.
    " boils down to this:
    "Self defence at the lest lose of value beating a gun daily agains seat belts, door frames chairs..."

Para's soft finished needing a second refinish now owned 7 years ...with under 600 rounds put throught it....very constent accuracy.
    A few hang ups with Russian ball....none with win, or Rem federal.

Yes we all go over and over going through the 1911s in the safe...just knowing I could carry this that....?
    Boils down to what I grab para daily 11 shot. Or slim Carry rock shorty in the truck.

An I'm still buying replacenments just to put in the safe...you know in case I change my mind!
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 02-25-2017 at 03:00 PM.