Gunshow talk,mosin nagants will be cheap again. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gunshow talk,mosin nagants will be cheap again.

My question is: where did all these hundreds of thousands of inexpensive surplus rifles go? There may be a few hundred of us collectors and most of us have more than a few of them but where are all the rest?

There is no desire to translate it into English,but if You have the desire, you'll find the answers to their questions. Cheap rifles will be no more, this is the end - in the U.S. a MONOPOLY, is Russia. If only China will manufacture copies.The empty warehouses of Ukraine - all this is the end cheapest price ! No refund.Who does not understand, soon will understand it soon in your wallet .

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2219716.html
    Last edited by assistant802; 02-16-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Men. Everything starts to have its real price ! Never will be of taxicab in Moscow for 10 dollar and cheap otdyhu Russia.Other times,who has the mind understands. The dollar in Russia now not the icon.
    Who have spare money - buy today.
    Who says the opposite - he wants to buy cheaply today,and tomorrow sell high.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Assistant802, I appreciate your opinion, where is your location? Are you from Russia?

To everyone else: dont you think that all of us Collectors have enough plain jane Mosins? Many of have stopped buying routine M91's at any price. I know I cant afford the storage space anymore. In the past when AIM Surplus brought in a new shipment at $99, I would watch as hundreds of these rifles would sell in a matter of hours (remember how we used to add 1000 rifles to the cart and count how many were left? And then refresh the screen every 30 seconds)

My point is that the new buyers are NOT coming from the type of members on this forum that have dozens of firearms, we are only collecting selectively, and Finn's are all the rage now.

My prediction: Prices back down to $150 by year end 2017.
    Last edited by Just_Me; 02-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Yes. I am from Russia and this is my pride !!!

Quote Originally Posted by assistant802 View Post
    Glad to have you on this forum.

Thank you for Your opinion. Forum - Your property ?

Dont want to move away from the topic, but not an owner, and not an expert either.

My assessment of the Russian market suggests that there is no reason to sell goods cheaply in the United States. Wage rises,it's not $ 100-200 as 10 years ago.
    Now it is 500-700 dollars,so why carry the goods across the Atlantic and sell them for 190-230 dollars when you can sell at this price in Russia ?
    Understand me ?

Rifles from Russia for $ 99 with shipping in the USA is a big joke ! Will show Your message to dealers in Russia.
    I think that You are joking.

Mosin-Nagant rifles are now being sold in Russia,in gun shops for the price of 300-700 dollars.Depends on the state. If rare prices has no limit.It can be thousands of dollars
    What kind of madman will carry across the Atlantic ocean and will be legal,paying for shipping and taxes,will sell at a loss ?
    I know about this business ?
    Last edited by assistant802; 02-14-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Rifles from Russia for $ 99 with shipping in the USA is a big joke ! Will show Your message to dealers in Russia.
    I think that You are joking.
    That was the price 8 -10 years ago in the US. Denny

I think that answered the question - will deliver if the cheap rifles from Russia.
    No,it will never be cheap..the Price will rise and will never be low.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post
    My prediction: Prices back down to $150 by year end 2017.
    I doubt it.

There is not much for sale on the local level and what is there, is priced really high, and not selling.

Also if I decided to sell some items, I would want to at least make a small amount of profit, otherwise why sell? If I had a hundred rifles and the space to keep them, and was doing OK financially, why sell any and just break even? Rather just keep and enjoy or trade for something better.

My rifle collection is just like my junker car collection, old computer collection, etc... some form of a savings account in the form of material goods that can be cashed in if the need to was there.

Hello Gents,

Having done business in Russia since 1990, I've had a ringside seat to the dramatic changes that have taken place over the past 27 years. Conditions in Russia have improved dramatically. I married my beautiful Russian wife Valentina 22 years ago. We have an apartment in Moscow. My Russian business partner is a former Deputy Director of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Through my contacts I know quite a few wealthy Russian collectors and as well as high-end collectors shops in Russia. I have outstanding offers on several of my high-end Imperial Russian rifles from both dealers and private collectors in Russia. The prices these Russians are prepared to pay for rare items such as my Cossack rifles and early Berdan's would blow your socks off! They are antiques, so there are no restrictions preventing me from shipping them out of the country. There are many Russians who would like to see some of these rifles come home. Prices for deactivated Mosins in Russia are higher than what we pay for shooters here in the States.

Unless demand fizzles out, the prices will not remain the same going forward. I purchased dozens of excellent M91s in the late 80s and early 90s for $29.95 at gun stores in CA and even less for the occasional rifle on the last day of a big gunshow. These weren't beaters. They all had clearing rods and some even had slings. What does a low end M91 cost today???

Buy now or pay more later.

Warmest regards,

JPS

It is now the end of the conversation.,
    Those who have money - buy now,after 1 year the price will be 2 times higher.
    But you need to buy only excellent condition.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My eyes are ruined now!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shran View Post
    There is not much for sale on the local level and what is there, is priced really high, and not selling.
    I think this is why we'll see run of the mill 91/30's down to the $150 level sooner rather than later. The dealers that have crates of "rare hex receiver" 91/30's are going to be forced to drop their prices just to be able to generate cash flow and avoid paying taxes on inventory. This in turn will cause your average Joe seller to drop their prices. I doubt the Finns, M91's or even carbines will be affected but there might be a slight drag on those prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow64 View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My eyes are ruined now!!!!!!!!!!
    In Alaska a lot of gold in the rivers.For You, the price increase is not terrible - You pay gold !

Buy the rumor, sell the fact
    I will follow the sales.Know only one thing - rare rifle,in excellent condition - will rise in price.

Based on what we have seen in the Detroit area, the prices are falling rather quickly. A butcher/collector friend in Philly predicts a dramatic collapse of Mosin prices. He has a good nose for these matters. Follow the price and keep the money close at hand. Cash is King.

we have JPS and Assistant802 that are bringing market realities to us, that the Russian and overseas market is better than the US market for Surplus firearms. (Despite a strong US dollar) I think they speak the truth.

On the other hand, we have experienced collectors who by their very nature, are very in tune with the local US market saying that price will soon come down, and people aren't buying.

If you agree that both are right, than it suggest in the near term, prices on EXISTING US inventory will drop in 2017 until stocks are depleted, and then we will see a rebound in secondary market prices to $300-350 in 2018-2019 and in 5-10 years, Mosins and Springfield 1903's will be priced within a $200 of each other.

If that predication holds true, then we should all hold on to our oridinary 91/30's and sell them in 10 years. The reason why I hoarded these rifles, was precisely because its more plausible for a $99 rifle to triple in price, than for a $1000 rifle to triple. And I bought them at $99 only about 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NHBowman View Post
    I think this is why we'll see run of the mill 91/30's down to the $150 level sooner rather than later. The dealers that have crates of "rare hex receiver" 91/30's are going to be forced to drop their prices just to be able to generate cash flow and avoid paying taxes on inventory. This in turn will cause your average Joe seller to drop their prices. I doubt the Finns, M91's or even carbines will be affected but there might be a slight drag on those prices.
    It's not dealers who are not selling, it's private parties. The same stuff gets reposted on Armslist and elsewhere month after month. Cabela's is the only place in town that has had any Mosins at all lately, and they are flying off the shelf at $250 plus tax. Seriously, they don't last more than a couple days. And do you think I can walk around with one for 4 hours at a gun show with a $250 price tag on it and sell it? Hell no. It's weird.

Hello. Military warehouses of Russia, a lot of weapons during WW2. Low prices will be no more,will only go up.Business Russia spoil Ukraine,selling at a low price their goods,but now the warehouses of Ukraine is empty. Russia is a monopolist in the U.S. market,the prices of historical weapons will grow.
    This is true in relation to the goods in perfect condition,if there is free money - now is the time to buy.Rifles after the fixation of the price not much comes up, all the same, this product is not new.
    802 speaks great truth--mother Russia has vast stocks of old weapons but asks too many rubles, er, dollars, for them. Winchester 7.62x54r 1895's languish in crates, as no western buyers will meet the prices asked.

JPS also speaks wisely--the days of discount are over, whip out your wallets, buy for quality, not quantity. The glory days of 25 Finn M91s at $9.97 each, with free shipping, are long gone.
    "Get your facts first and then you can distort 'em as much as you please"--Mark Twain

Cool

JPS....IS THE REAL DEAL....I did not consider compatitions buy's willing to draw bank notes higher than we pay today?
    Go figure?
    Thanks to our Russian board member also with the insight given....I respect this eyes on ground info!
    Did not put this into my figuring....
    Will see if buying gross amounts (with USA dollars) draws more to come here? ....or rubles?staying home with pride and historical ownerships weights in more ....

Again April or May....USA lows ....or .....other things I didn't figure....highs!

Guess Lost my economic class.....that fast!......go figure><> Daniel
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 02-18-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Hello Gents,

Personally, I ignore the gunshow BS. I always have. I think the first time I heard the tale about the warehouse full of M95 Winchesters was in 1991??? LMAO still! They haven't turned up in the past 26 years, so I'm glad I paid top dollar at the going rate for mine back in 1994. It's worth a lot more now than what I paid for it back then.

As an example regarding the Russian market, I just checked in with a Russian dealer I have purchased original Imperial items from for over 10 years now. He has a 1916 dated Dragoon for sale with a cracked stock and heavily pitted barrel markings. The rifle has a third pattern top handguard and includes a bayonet. It is not matching. The asking price is $1,073.80 U.S. OOPS???

Regarding the current prices of Mosins, my ONLY experience is with Imperial rifles that date to WWI or earlier. I haven't a clue what M91/30s or M44s are selling for and I don't particularly care. But these same conversations occurred in the late 90s as all of the waves of M1891's were gradually absorbed in the hands of shooters and collectors. There were three shipments of 10,000 rifles each that were reported to have come in from Eastern Europe, with some suggestions that the source was Romania and others that thought they were from Bulgaria? Ukraine??? Hell, I haven't a clue!

What I do know is that they continued to increase in value steadily over the years and nobody is selling M91s for $9.95 or $29.95 anymore. Draw your own conclusions. They'll start to come back on the market gradually as those of us who are growing long in the tooth will either be parting them out or leaving them behind when we check out. They will NOT sell for $150.

In the meantime, enjoy them and take good care of them. And of course, shoot the examples that aren't too rare!

Warmest regards,

JPS

If money or wealth is your goal, buy gold, silver, stocks, bonds, oil, cow pies.

I prefer to buy something I like and enjoy. What the future value will be will be only a small factor. I can drive my classic Corvettes and shoot my classic firearms. My coins and such, they just sit there. Not sure how to drive them, shoot them or enjoy them. Spend money on what makes you happy, not on what you think may(or may not) make you wealthy.

I doubt Mosins will vary a whole lot in the immediate future but I will not spend a dimes worth of worry on it. I did not expect Nagant revolvers to gain a lot of value but sure am glad I bought a dozen or two at $89.

Gun collectors should buy and collect guns. Speculators should worry about other types of investments. They ruined the collector car market more than once in my lifetime.

I believe it was Fritz that most recently pointed out the various types of collectors, please be patient with those of us that collect/hoard/speculate first, and then actually shoot or fiddle with at some future point in time. We can be the least educated at first, but will gradually get there.... I think we contribute to the hobby too, just not as effectively as some of the real experts here

Quote Originally Posted by easyxs View Post
    My question is: where did all these hundreds of thousands of inexpensive surplus rifles go? There may be a few hundred of us collectors and most of us have more than a few of them but where are all the rest?
    Many of these rifles were bought by non-collectors just because they were cheap. When Craigslist still showed guns and even today on Backpage you will find those folk selling odd Mosins. Sadly, many ended up with chopped stocks or in ATI plastic with reworked bolt handles. The joker that came up with the Archangel stock did wonders for the values of the Mosins in my safe.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

I have a wealth in guns....
    I trust not gold silver or stocks.....
    That being said in our small southern counties I've seen collections broken up on death ....
    end up seen day after day in three different county gunshows over and over.
    And get stuck in the revolving gun show circuit.....sith prices going up down with no rhyme or reason?
    (Military or commercial)
    Money to be made ....in the juggle ...I'm secure more so in invested guns( 9x the value) than my separate work related savings.....
    School teacher didn't make money to buy guns......so trading, willing dealing fixer ups...all replaced cold cash.

I've found hidden areas profit , old hillbilly gun shops with under priced guns, flea markets, pawn shops, yard sales, and estate sales....not keeping up with current trends.
    Example savage saddle carbine 348.. I finally bought new after seeing it gather dust 20"years in the corner rack...
    Paid $445...sold $1,500...it stayed un molested all in plain view.
    I can tell you most of those places gone now....not that place.
    Yes show fishing you get a break every once in a while.....
    Old small trading gun store with 30 to- 60 or 70 less guns....
    In these off the track places will be your gold mines of opportunity!
    Like mine for 40 years.
    (At one time Eddie I, other dead friends.. would travel to more than 4 counties to such shops we knew of ...getting up at day light making it home at late dark) most going 18 to 20 years as owners, economy died)

Yes Shows tend to fix almost all prices.....not local pawn shops!
    (I've gotten 52 win for $285, ak 308 marked SKS... Fox doubles, LC smith etc )
    Not as easy going to happen in a gun show.

So your correct we are getting old shoot it .....or some one else will enjoy it for you!><> Daniel

+1 and welcome!

I don't know anything about Mosins. But for Russian SKS's. If you take a look at samples currently for sale in Canada, you'll see their quality has already dropped quickly in past a couple of years. I think it means something.

Daniel is right. Beat all the bushes all the time. Stuff happens and things fall out of the bushes for a good deal. A friend recently got a collector pistol for 25% its actual value at a big box store.

I'm not convinced that price really matters. If Mosins were $69 each how many more 1942/43 heavily refurbished examples would you buy? These rifles take up space and have to be maintained. Buying a lot of something just because it is cheap does not make a lot of sense.

There were many SVTs, SKSs and Mosins sold in my area (in Canada) but I very rarely see any empty cases at the range. Most seem to have been purchased and stored only to be resold a few years later "still in cosmoline". They are in cosmoline because the buyers got them cheap and never used them, not because they wanted to preserve their value.

Rare examples in good condition are what are of interest to collectors. The commodity price has very little to do with the price of collector pieces.

Cool

Mikes with me on this....
    Think not all that's been collected came to people cause they went to shows....great numbers never go to a show in their lives......
    country trading among locals be gets many type of a collection.....they get old , tired of a gun or 2 and trade them.
    They die..all gets scrambled among family friends....evently ends in country gun stores, flea markets etc...

yes may end up in a local three county gun show in younger hands....

Just Waiting on importers to bring in more....one way above another country road way.

(Seen N frame 38's $400 bucks or 44's $300 bucks just appear one day?....
    yes got them in safe too...)

These stores a dieing breed...(30# I know closed before 1990's) over looked even by locals unless pawning to get through a hard spot or to,by drugs with family collections.
    (That's how I got a 96 % pre 1925 Iver Johnson double barrel one infamous revenuer killing family for $350 bucks)

Lastly a complete matching laminated, color (Russian stock) set set in corner dusty rubber banded all together....years...
    Till a student told me his rifle got busted up on a 4 wheeler.....

I don't know it if matched his needs, time period?....his all most all matching rifle....its on it now years!

Taking those Saturday drives.... Beating the bushes..look in the crowed corners, turning dusty tags...was my youthful collecting adventures...
    when I had the traveling money and trades in the trunk!
    stopping in those old places....coming out with lost art! ><> Daniel

Yes I know the feeling,I go to the smaller out of the way gunshops,and antique shops,find german helmets,flags, bayonets and sometimes great finds on rifles.I bought a common mosin nagant import 1943 long rifle for 95.00 today ,seller had had it a while he said,no accessories,dirty been fired with corrosive and not cleaned, a little surface rust from sitting,thought a decent price ,will see if it will clean up and post pics.

There has been a lot of intelligent and thoughtful replies here, and I appreciate the knowledge of the experienced collectors, but I think that the root of this thread involves political speculation. The gun show theorists have based their speculation on great political changes. They speculate that Trump will open the Russian markets and remove regulations on importation, resulting in flooding the market with cheap obsolete Russian firearms. After the first month, there is no reason to believe this logic is valid. We have Russian planes buzzing American ships, and spy ships posturing off the coast. We are dancing a deadly waltz with the Russians in Syrian airspace. The Russians are playing with our agreements on cruise missiles, and most importantly, they are continuing to wage a war of aggression on their neighbors.

With the controversy, whether real or imagined, of the Trump organization possibly having clandestine ties to the Russian government, it will be very difficult for Trump to soften the current relations with Russia. Therefore, there is not going to be substantial changes to the importation process for some time.

My crystal ball says that there will be no more mass immigration of cheap Soviet firearms. The future value of the firearms we collect will be based on the continuing interest of young and middle age firearm enthusiast. If the desire remains or grows and the supply stagnates the rifles will gain in value. If you want to see the prices hold or rise then you need to infect new members with the Mosinitis virus.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Yep. Finally, a realistic assessment here.

Quote Originally Posted by SA1911a1 View Post
    With the controversy, whether real or imagined, of the Trump organization possibly having clandestine ties to the Russian government, it will be very difficult for Trump to soften the current relations with Russia. Therefore, there is not going to be substantial changes to the importation process for some time.

My crystal ball says that there will be no more mass immigration of cheap Soviet firearms. The future value of the firearms we collect will be based on the continuing interest of young and middle age firearm enthusiast. If the desire remains or grows and the supply stagnates the rifles will gain in value. If you want to see the prices hold or rise then you need to infect new members with the Mosinitis virus.
    I would agree there will be no more mass loads of "cheap" Soviet firearms coming to our shores anytime soon. Unless there is some future upheaval in one or more of the former bloc countries where there is a need to infuse some fast cash, I don't see much coming our way. Who can definitively say there are any remaining government stockpiles anyway? The Russian underworld may be sitting on the last remaining cases...who knows what their price point will be?

The current administration has been in office for slightly less than a month. It is far, far too early to be speaking authoritatively on the future of unfolding relations with Russia.

My prediction? Eventually, we'll see more Mosins. But they'll never again be as cheap as they once were.

Quote Originally Posted by SA1911a1 View Post
    If you want to see the prices hold or rise then you need to infect new members with the Mosinitis virus.
    I agree, but it will be a challenge.....

You cannot really predict what will come tomorrow, one can only judge what is happening today. No new imports of MN's in any significant amount. The country is flooded with refurb Mosin Nagants, if one wants a Mosin, any online auction has many for sale, granted none are for sale under a hundred bucks.

They are not making em anymore, what we have most likely is what we are going to have - Demand today is high, auction prices can be crazy high - Pretty much anything I have was purchased because I wanted it or liked it....when I sell, it will not be sold cheaply & if it does not sell, I am fairly confident a couple years later++....it will....of course for more..... No bites on future sales.....then I simply keep it.

What kills sales?.....Politics - Economy - Interest.

Getting young folks interested will be a challenge, inexpensive imports of rifles and ammo got many my age in the collecting arena....got me hooked....Nowadays there will be no new imports....mebbe fewer young folks in the collecting area as well....just check out the gunshows....older collectors & sellers.....few young people. Heck, many millennials still live at their parents house, lacking the funds to splurge on anything hobby related, including milsurp.

Forums gave me a place to show off my acquisitions.....of the three main forums I used to frequent in the past....two have just about dropped off the radar.....with so few posts per month, I am surprised they still exist. This forum is great....but it also seems to be slowing down in action significantly compared to the old days.

Yup, no way for me to tell the future, but I am guessing things won't severely drop in price anytime soon...

Pahtu.

One more batch of politics - several very high population states like CA and NY and Mass plus local governments like Chicago have pretty well demonized military-style semi-auto rifles, much as has happened in Australia and Canada, while handguns are also getting lots of pressure.

Mosins are still fairly cheap, legal in such occupied states and I think become more desirable as the reality of no new "black rifles" and registration/confiscation grows in these states.

Bolt guns and shotguns for home defense are the last to go and an M44 or M38 still works fine, though I sure wouldn't want to shoot one indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by easyxs View Post
    My take on this is that a lot of the people that own these firearms are not collectors or hunters or even shooters for the most part. They bought these because of the "cool" factor AND the cheap price of ammo. Sadly a lot of this wore off and improper cleaning has taken it's toll. The last few M-N rifles that I have examined at pawn shops ALL had recently ruined bores. Now that cheap ammo has dried up, the interest with the younger crowd has waned.
    Our local Gander Mountain sold a ton of these 2 Christmases ago for $49 or close to that. They were gone in a day or 2.
    A salesman there told me that one guy brought his back because-"he couldn't buy cheap ammo at Wal-mart!"

Quote Originally Posted by Thagomizer View Post
    My take on this is that a lot of the people that own these firearms are not collectors or hunters or even shooters for the most part. They bought these because of the "cool" factor AND the cheap price of ammo. Sadly a lot of this wore off and improper cleaning has taken it's toll. The last few M-N rifles that I have examined at pawn shops ALL had recently ruined bores. Now that cheap ammo has dried up, the interest with the younger crowd has waned.
    Our local Gander Mountain sold a ton of these 2 Christmases ago for $49 or close to that. They were gone in a day or 2.
    A salesman there told me that one guy brought his back because-"he couldn't buy cheap ammo at Wal-mart!"
    LOL, mine sells Tul steel cased. Can get it much cheaper online, but it's still half the price that a LGS would charge.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    [COLOR=#000000]Hello Gents,

I think the first time I heard the tale about the warehouse full of M95 Winchesters was in 1991??? LMAO still! They haven't turned up in the past 26 years, <snip>
    JPS
    The truth is out there--somewhere.
    "Get your facts first and then you can distort 'em as much as you please"--Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast