Gunboards Forums banner

Gunshow talk,mosin nagants will be cheap again.

28K views 91 replies 43 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 ·
Some of these dealers arent buying at todays prices as they are worried that these russian imports will flood the market and become cheap again,will see 89.00 mosin nagants and much cheaper sks rifles.They think Trumps friendship with Putin will allow more of these guns to be imported at more relaxed regulations.What do you guys think?

#39 · (Edited)
Going down for the "best time" to buy later.

Points in progress.....
1)ammo today lower than last November. Wva
2)AR's and uppers, mag's." "Wva
3) sks dropped a average $75 ". " Wva.
4) bricks of 22's gone from $50 for 500 to 20 or less". "
5) Kimbers gone down $75 for no reason I can find?
6) gasoline .....well you know. County wide.
7) survival foods....down sense Nov. in Wva.
8) cabbalas prices falling,in ads on almost all guns!
9) reloading stuff....slowly coming down and increase amounts available in Wva.
10) mag's prices came down sense November in Wva.
11) pork way down.00) democratic polished attitudes still going down.;)
12) Model 12's been going down last two years.
13) black cheep looking hunting guns rifles shot guns down almost two years.
14) anti rules, attitudes, actions towards right to bare arms...way down sense election.

in conclusion:
nothing is fixed "with shape shifting markets and demands always determining all market changes ..."...as per JPS THOUGHTS FROM EXPERIENCES....AND OUR Russian comrade.
from county of origin changes to recieving country of origin.

so i respectively disagree....$150 prices will be seen again!

BMRTO Yo!...ONLY WEB SITE I GO TO IS HERE....;)

willing to teach you economics. WILLING TO LEARN TOO.,
Your first lesson watch prices fall....TAKE NOTES!;)

#40 ·
The rule is you buy when you see milsurp weapons , they will dry up and they will go up. You don't assume they'll always be there when you get around to buy them and you don't take for granted the supply is infinite.

"Later" is not a good answer or strategy unless you want to pay big bucks.

By the way , while we are cruising the neighborhood, where are all those who said 762x54R spam can ammo would never dry up ? Step up...where are you genius's ???? You great soothsayers of what is and what will be ???

Buy now if you want it or regret later. Everyone comes into this at a point of time and regrets being slow to buy. You guys got it lucky right now, you don't have to say I could have bought a Mosin for $12 or a M1 for $89 or a 98K for $19.95. And you don't have to say you did not and have a case of the *** for not doing so.

#44 ·
To that I agree but then you also need to know what drove the demand. I know that in my case my grandson was part and parcel to a new generation of curious and history minded teens. With a little bit of savings they were able to buy a .30 caliber rifle and the biggest draw, "But, Paw Paw, all of my friends have one." So, how much of the demand we saw and tried to satisfy was but only an inquisitive fancy? Once sated I saw them quickly lose interest and into the closet they went. We saw them by dozens at the firing range during Obama's and Pelosi's marketing ploy to drive the stock prices up before they were found to own ATI stock. I haven't seen but one or two since last November. How long before they need 50 bucks and remember it in the closet? Maybe the retail market won't go back but there is a generation sitting on them who THOUGHT they were interested. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth.

#45 · (Edited)
Some goods thoughts here guys thanks for the opinions!.Price always boils down to availability,the more out there the cheaper the price.Seen this on SOG time and again on pistols and rifles,"we just received a shipment of these pistols found in a warehouse, we can offer these for 219.00 while supplies last!"when you paid 289.00 6 months ago for the same pistol.No one knows where the price will go on mosin nagants but there are so many out there I dont think they will ever be considered rare at least not in the near future.That said 89.00 mosin nagants will probably never be seen again but as was said 150.00 is certainly possible.

#74 ·
Many of these rifles were bought by non-collectors just because they were cheap. When Craigslist still showed guns and even today on Backpage you will find those folk selling odd Mosins. Sadly, many ended up with chopped stocks or in ATI plastic with reworked bolt handles. The joker that came up with the Archangel stock did wonders for the values of the Mosins in my safe.:p

#47 · (Edited)
There is no desire to translate it into English,but if You have the desire, you'll find the answers to their questions. Cheap rifles will be no more, this is the end - in the U.S. a MONOPOLY, is Russia. If only China will manufacture copies.The empty warehouses of Ukraine - all this is the end cheapest price ! No refund.Who does not understand, soon will understand it soon in your wallet .

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2219716.html

#48 ·
Men. Everything starts to have its real price ! Never will be of taxicab in Moscow for 10 dollar and cheap otdyhu Russia.Other times,who has the mind understands. The dollar in Russia now not the icon.
Who have spare money - buy today.
Who says the opposite - he wants to buy cheaply today,and tomorrow sell high.

#49 · (Edited)
Assistant802, I appreciate your opinion, where is your location? Are you from Russia?

To everyone else: dont you think that all of us Collectors have enough plain jane Mosins? Many of have stopped buying routine M91's at any price. I know I cant afford the storage space anymore. In the past when AIM Surplus brought in a new shipment at $99, I would watch as hundreds of these rifles would sell in a matter of hours (remember how we used to add 1000 rifles to the cart and count how many were left? And then refresh the screen every 30 seconds)

My point is that the new buyers are NOT coming from the type of members on this forum that have dozens of firearms, we are only collecting selectively, and Finn's are all the rage now.

My prediction: Prices back down to $150 by year end 2017.

#59 ·
My prediction: Prices back down to $150 by year end 2017.
I doubt it.

There is not much for sale on the local level and what is there, is priced really high, and not selling.

Also if I decided to sell some items, I would want to at least make a small amount of profit, otherwise why sell? If I had a hundred rifles and the space to keep them, and was doing OK financially, why sell any and just break even? Rather just keep and enjoy or trade for something better.

My rifle collection is just like my junker car collection, old computer collection, etc... some form of a savings account in the form of material goods that can be cashed in if the need to was there.

#54 ·
My assessment of the Russian market suggests that there is no reason to sell goods cheaply in the United States. Wage rises,it's not $ 100-200 as 10 years ago.
Now it is 500-700 dollars,so why carry the goods across the Atlantic and sell them for 190-230 dollars when you can sell at this price in Russia ?
Understand me ?

#56 · (Edited)

Mosin-Nagant rifles are now being sold in Russia,in gun shops for the price of 300-700 dollars.Depends on the state. If rare prices has no limit.It can be thousands of dollars
What kind of madman will carry across the Atlantic ocean and will be legal,paying for shipping and taxes,will sell at a loss ?
I know about this business ?

#60 ·
Hello Gents,

Having done business in Russia since 1990, I've had a ringside seat to the dramatic changes that have taken place over the past 27 years. Conditions in Russia have improved dramatically. I married my beautiful Russian wife Valentina 22 years ago. We have an apartment in Moscow. My Russian business partner is a former Deputy Director of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Through my contacts I know quite a few wealthy Russian collectors and as well as high-end collectors shops in Russia. I have outstanding offers on several of my high-end Imperial Russian rifles from both dealers and private collectors in Russia. The prices these Russians are prepared to pay for rare items such as my Cossack rifles and early Berdan's would blow your socks off! They are antiques, so there are no restrictions preventing me from shipping them out of the country. There are many Russians who would like to see some of these rifles come home. Prices for deactivated Mosins in Russia are higher than what we pay for shooters here in the States.

Unless demand fizzles out, the prices will not remain the same going forward. I purchased dozens of excellent M91s in the late 80s and early 90s for $29.95 at gun stores in CA and even less for the occasional rifle on the last day of a big gunshow. These weren't beaters. They all had clearing rods and some even had slings. What does a low end M91 cost today???

Buy now or pay more later.

Warmest regards,

JPS

#66 ·
Based on what we have seen in the Detroit area, the prices are falling rather quickly. A butcher/collector friend in Philly predicts a dramatic collapse of Mosin prices. He has a good nose for these matters. Follow the price and keep the money close at hand. Cash is King.

#67 ·
we have JPS and Assistant802 that are bringing market realities to us, that the Russian and overseas market is better than the US market for Surplus firearms. (Despite a strong US dollar) I think they speak the truth.

On the other hand, we have experienced collectors who by their very nature, are very in tune with the local US market saying that price will soon come down, and people aren't buying.

If you agree that both are right, than it suggest in the near term, prices on EXISTING US inventory will drop in 2017 until stocks are depleted, and then we will see a rebound in secondary market prices to $300-350 in 2018-2019 and in 5-10 years, Mosins and Springfield 1903's will be priced within a $200 of each other.

If that predication holds true, then we should all hold on to our oridinary 91/30's and sell them in 10 years. The reason why I hoarded these rifles, was precisely because its more plausible for a $99 rifle to triple in price, than for a $1000 rifle to triple. And I bought them at $99 only about 5 years ago.

#70 · (Edited)
JPS....IS THE REAL DEAL....I did not consider compatitions buy's willing to draw bank notes higher than we pay today?
Go figure?
Thanks to our Russian board member also with the insight given....I respect this eyes on ground info!
Did not put this into my figuring....
Will see if buying gross amounts (with USA dollars) draws more to come here? ....or rubles?staying home with pride and historical ownerships weights in more ....

Again April or May....USA lows ....or .....other things I didn't figure....highs!

Guess Lost my economic class.....that fast!......go figure><> Daniel

#71 ·
Hello Gents,

Personally, I ignore the gunshow BS. I always have. I think the first time I heard the tale about the warehouse full of M95 Winchesters was in 1991??? LMAO still! They haven't turned up in the past 26 years, so I'm glad I paid top dollar at the going rate for mine back in 1994. It's worth a lot more now than what I paid for it back then.

As an example regarding the Russian market, I just checked in with a Russian dealer I have purchased original Imperial items from for over 10 years now. He has a 1916 dated Dragoon for sale with a cracked stock and heavily pitted barrel markings. The rifle has a third pattern top handguard and includes a bayonet. It is not matching. The asking price is $1,073.80 U.S. OOPS???

Regarding the current prices of Mosins, my ONLY experience is with Imperial rifles that date to WWI or earlier. I haven't a clue what M91/30s or M44s are selling for and I don't particularly care. But these same conversations occurred in the late 90s as all of the waves of M1891's were gradually absorbed in the hands of shooters and collectors. There were three shipments of 10,000 rifles each that were reported to have come in from Eastern Europe, with some suggestions that the source was Romania and others that thought they were from Bulgaria? Ukraine??? Hell, I haven't a clue!

What I do know is that they continued to increase in value steadily over the years and nobody is selling M91s for $9.95 or $29.95 anymore. Draw your own conclusions. They'll start to come back on the market gradually as those of us who are growing long in the tooth will either be parting them out or leaving them behind when we check out. They will NOT sell for $150.

In the meantime, enjoy them and take good care of them. And of course, shoot the examples that aren't too rare!

Warmest regards,

JPS

#90 ·
Hello Gents,

I think the first time I heard the tale about the warehouse full of M95 Winchesters was in 1991??? LMAO still! They haven't turned up in the past 26 years, <snip>
JPS

The truth is out there--somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.