Homemade electronic cleaner

Thread: Homemade electronic cleaner

Default Homemade electronic cleaner

There was some posts recently about the electronic bore cleaners and it revived an effort I had going a year or so ago to build one of my own. Not having much to do this weekend I decided to finish the project and try it out. The test rifle is my Laminated Stocked M38 that has one of the most clogged, dirty, disgusting and downright filthy bore I've ever seen. I've spent many hours with the rod and brush to no avail. However, it shoots very good so I thought I'd see how this would work on this one.

I tried it out initially for 15 minutes. The equal parts of ammonia and white vinegar began to bubble right away and turn disgusting colors. The pics are in 5 minute increments. After 10 minutes the solution had bubbled to a burnt marshmallow looking gunk. At 15 minutes it was downright ugly. I then poured it out onto a paper plate and started over again for 15 more minutes. Again the second set of pics are in 5 minute increments. This time the solution foamed up like clear carbonation and did not really turn dirty until the last few minutes. You can see that there was not nearly as much gunk dislodged as the first go 'round.

I used two "D" size batteries in a Radio Shack housing and a stainless steel welding filler rod. A rubber cork holds it all in on the chamber side.

All said and done, there was a lot of crud removed from the bore but it is still quite dirty. I am able to see some shine that was not there before. Maybe a half hour would have done the trick.

There was a fair amount of BLACK slime on the rod after each session that wiped of easily. I think the results were worth the effort.

Default Second 15 minutes

Second go round>

I've always been a big fan of the EBC. It is amazing what it does to bores that I thought were hopeless.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the idea about the funnel! I made an eletronic bore cleaner using a circuit tester/flashlight, and always had a problem with "boil over".

The crud that comes out is amazing.
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
    Thanks for the idea about the funnel! I made an eletronic bore cleaner using a circuit tester/flashlight, and always had a problem with "boil over".

The crud that comes out is amazing.
    It works well to isolate the rod from the metal too.

So I understand this, you put a rubber stopper in the chamber for a seal. Then how much do you fill the bbl? Half way, all the way, etc? And in the last post, there was reference to preventing the metal rod from touching the bbl. I take it that is important, or not?

Finally, could you uuse a rifle cleaning rod (like those standard hoppes ones) instead of a welding rod?

Thanks, I think I might try this idea. Does the contraption cause lots of heat?

Quote Originally Posted by cbanker101 View Post
    So I understand this, you put a rubber stopper in the chamber for a seal. Then how much do you fill the bbl? Half way, all the way, etc? And in the last post, there was reference to preventing the metal rod from touching the bbl. I take it that is important, or not?

Finally, could you uuse a rifle cleaning rod (like those standard hoppes ones) instead of a welding rod?

Thanks, I think I might try this idea. Does the contraption cause lots of heat?
    I drilled a small hole part way through a rubber stopper and inserted the satinless rod into that hole. I placed a small rubber "O ring" on the rod and positioned it at the point where it would be on center in the barrel, so the rod could not come in contact with the metal of the barrel. Then I inserted the rod through the chamber end untill the opposite end with the rubber stopper closed off that side of the barrel.

Now, I placed the funnel over rod that now protrudes from the muzzle continuing on into the barrel. After taping off the funnel to prevent leaks the barrel is now ready to accept liquid.

I filled it up to the point where I could see about 1/4" of liquid in the funnel. That way I could tell if there was anything leaking from the chamber end.

Hook up the negative wire to the inserted rod and the positive wire to any point on the barrel. It is important to not let the rod come into contact with the barrel because there would be a short between the + and the - wires.

Done correctly there should not be any heat generated.

If your cleaning rod is solid and you don't plan on using any longer for cleaning purposes than I think it would be ok as long as it is conductive (no paint) and it is small enough to not touch the inside of the barrel. I have read about using various materials for the rod but no argument one way or the other about which material is best.(ie: copper, steal, aluminum)

That looks interesting. Does polarity matter?

Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    That looks interesting. Does polarity matter?
    Yes. Negative goes to the rod.
    Positive goes to the barrel.

Will that De-lead a old .22 barrel?
    If Guns Make People Kill, Then Pencils Misspell Words, Cars Make Poeple Drive Drunk, And Spoons And Forks Make People Fat !

Self Defense Is The Most Basic Human Right.

I made one from a straightened metal coat hanger and used shrink wrap on the ends and any bent spots to prevent metal from touching metal. A battery charger was the power source.
    Works ok.
    The surplus of verbiage oft times consummates in a loss of perspicacity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Info on homemade electronic bore cleaner and other neat stuff:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Rust

BTW they work best on metal and carbon. Wont touch grease, plastic, etc... So scrub your bore first and do not lube.

And you also do not need a high vinegar or ammonia concentration. I used 25% ammonia, no problems. It doesn't clean by itself but just allows the current to flow.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

I made one. I would tell you how it went my first attempt, but that's a better story for the stupid collector tricks forum...

Once I figured things out, I can get the rod to turn black, but the fluid remains unstained. Would this be indicative of a low power source? I am using the charging cables for a Vexelar ice fishing flasher and a solid brass rod.

Default rubber washer

I found a tapered washer at the hardware store that fit snugly at the back end of the barrel. I put a blob of solder on the steel rod end which prevented the rod from slipping past the washer. Then I used a wooden dowel to press against the back with a bungee cord. Up in the front I used the funnel to fill, to the top and prevent the rod from touching the barrel side. The burnt marshmellow stuff bubbled up, and like you I did multiple 5 minute treatments. I finished up by immediately taking some J&B polishing compound and pushing it with a patch several times. I think the electronic treatment loosened up much of the black goo because it cleaned the barrel better post electronic treatment.

KKKKFL

Default EBC

Hey Guys!! I used a 6 volt trickle charger that you can get at Walmart for under 20.00 dollars. These are used for 6 & 12 volt batteries, motorcycles, lawn tractors etc.. it worked great. If you have alot of funky rifles, you might want to invest in one of these. Just a tip. Bob

A 6 volt DC out put cell phone charger does the job. You can readily pick them up at flea markets for 50 cents.
    Last edited by gotula; 10-27-2008 at 05:22 PM.

cbanker, I think you need to use a steel rod for the bore.

I made one a few years ago and it worked great, but it was much easier and more effective to shoot the bores clean ala Ted !
    "It's all gone to hell now, the wimps have gangs, pop punk tough guys with neck tattoos"--DKM

Quote Originally Posted by zippyhuntin View Post
    cbanker, I think you need to use a steel rod for the bore.
    although that would not prevent me from spilling that crap all over myself and rifle due to the inept funnel narrowing device I made, I might just try that!

I'm working now on the more complex version listed at the link jjk308 provided. I'll post pics when I'm done and detail how it works.

jjk308 - thanks for the link!

I made a much, much simpler one myself. The link is a "Foul-Out" type cleaner.

Just a welding rod, short pieces of shrink-wrap tubing for electrical connections shrunk on it to prevent contact with the bore, hooked a couple of 1.5 volt batteries in series to the rod on the negative side and the barrel on the positive side, plugged the bore, poured in a 25% ammonia solution and let er rip.

Works great if you clean the bore first and keep an eye on it. if its not fast enough just add more batteries.

Here's a slightly more complex idea using a flashlight:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp
    Last edited by jjk308; 10-28-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

A great supply of the perfect electrode {steel rod} available soon. Those political road side signs constructed of ridgid wire of course....after election day of course.

Default Update

Started on the more complex version of the bore cleaner that is detailed on the link that jjk308 provided in this thread. So far it's been fairly easy to do. I hooked it up to power before starting the final assembly and it's producing .86v without turning the trim pot.

I'll post pics and results of the final product when I get it completed.