Gunboards Forums banner

Oroville Dam evaculation

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Oldstuffer 
#1 ·
Got a situation happening at the Oroville dam .. tallest Dam in America about , looks likes 50-60 miles north of Sacramento

They have ordered down stream evacuations due to possible spillway failure http://www.latimes.com/local/califo...oroville-is-a-ghost-1486958737-htmlstory.html

Nobody is talking about Sacramento yet but that area is levy central and if high water starts taking out levies Oroville dam is 770 feet high Tallest dam in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam

Holds a massive amount of water.. not just flooding damage ..a lot of California's drinking water

Good luck and God Bless

#2 ·
How could this happen? The State of California is omniscient. (Sarcasm font.)
Seriously, best wishes to the 160,000 affected. If the dam fails, they could loose everything.
Always good to have a bug out bag handy with important papers and a couple of pistols and ammo.
Good comment AmmoSgt.

#12 ·
The DAM is at zero risk of failure.
A mile away, around the corner of a mountiain, the main spillway failed half-way-down the chute, and cut itself a new chute to the river.

Farther away, past the main spillway, is the Emergency Spillway, basically nothing more than a 30' tall concrete wall that dumps (if overtopped) down the mountainside to the river.
The E.S. overtopped, by about 2 feet, and created a scour hole at IT'S base somewhere (the E.S. is very wide, like 1,000 feet wide).
IF the scour hole caused the ES to fail,, it WOULD drop the lake level 30 feet (that's a crapload of water), but no more.
The 700 foot dam is in no danger whatsoever.

#4 ·
Wait... a potential imminent disaster involving CA water policy? Unpossible!

Dams have been bursting there for decades, often with catastrophic results. Oroville is being evacuated thanks to the lessons learned from those disasters.

I feel for the evacuees, but the state's been dangerously overpopulated for scores of years now. I grew up there and when I left, I never looked back.

#5 ·
Wow, turning a potential flood disaster into a political football, welcome to America 2017.

#8 ·
Flood disasters caused by dams (or, for that matter, levees) already ARE political footballs. Somebody built the dam, inspected the spillway, zoned the floodplain, established the reservoir, and incentivized migration.

Two guesses who that "somebody" is. So yes, when things go pear-shaped, it's hardly an act of God.

#6 ·
evaculation?...... Seriously, God bless everyone involved. I helped to clean up the last flood in Johnstown PA and it isn't pretty. A 30' wall of logs and trees comes through first. It 's nothing to fool with.

#7 ·
If you care to take the time to look deeper into this situation you will find just how mismanaged and out of touch the government of California is. They are now facing a disaster for which they are totally unprepared for. Example: WTF would put MASSIVE electrical power transmission towers in the middle of the overflow spillway of any dam, let alone one this large. Can God still help California?

#10 ·
Just for the record guys, the dam's not really at risk. The spillways are the problem. There's a chance the erosion COULD reach the dam abutments, but it's unlikely.

Not trying to minimize the danger, but not trying to maximize it either. This isn't the event that will wipe out Sacramento.

#13 ·
Everytime i have looked at that spill way it made me wonder. Jerry Brown has temporarily stopped bashing President Trump and is pleading for federal assistance. Either way it goes Brown loses. If there is no damage to homes he will be criticized for the helter skelter evacuation of 200,000 pissed off residents. If there is widespead damage he will be held accountable for failure to maintain the states infrastructure while pursuing ridiculous boondoggles like the bullet train. Meanwhile back at the bank someones account may be empty. I wonder how the looting is going?

#14 ·
And instead of building new dams for drinking water storage, they are tearing them down. There is no water shortage in California. There is a water STORAGE shortage in California. The fruits and nuts won't and don't believe it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.