C&R FFL License
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C&R FFL License

Default C&R FFL License

Is the 03 C&R license worth getting? Also, how difficult is it to get one?

Not in California now they want to have a Live Scan which is basically the same approval that you would need for a a CCW

^ this. Every where else sure. ESPECIALLY if you live in a free state

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    ^ this. Every where else sure. ESPECIALLY if you live in a free state
    I live in a free state so I should be good to go!

Enjoy, and one thing nice when you are done with the c&r - you can destroy your bound book.

Once you get one watch your wallet.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Enjoy, and one thing nice when you are done with the c&r - you can destroy your bound book.
    So, I dont need to turn it in to the atf when I let my license expire like a regular ffl?

Quote Originally Posted by bumpandrun View Post
    So, I dont need to turn it in to the atf when I let my license expire like a regular ffl?
    Bingo

Ok, many thanks! I need to check more into acquiring one.

You will need to hang on tight to your billfold. The license is cheap, the results can be expensive. It is a lot of fun to wait for the big brown truck to bring toys to your door.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by SA1911a1 View Post
    You will need to hang on tight to your billfold. The license is cheap, the results can be expensive. It is a lot of fun to wait for the big brown truck to bring toys to your door.
    Thank you! Yeah, I figured it would be cheaper for the C&R license rather than paying an ffl transfer fee each time I bought a C&R firearm.

Thank you! Yeah, I figured it would be cheaper for the C&R license rather than paying an ffl transfer fee each time I bought a C&R firearm.
    Pays for itself after the first purchase. It's a no-brainer.

Some parts vendors, Brownells for one, give a dealer discount to C&R holders. On one order alone, I've saved more than enough to pay for the 3 year license. It can save you money, but as mentioned, it can be pretty addicting being able to buy those weapons and have them delivered to your door. So, there is that too. By all means, I'd say get yourself one asap.

There are also a lot of dealers that won't accept a C&R license for what
    ever reason...
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
    Some parts vendors, Brownells for one, give a dealer discount to C&R holders. On one order alone, I've saved more than enough to pay for the 3 year license. It can save you money, but as mentioned, it can be pretty addicting being able to buy those weapons and have them delivered to your door. So, there is that too. By all means, I'd say get yourself one asap.
    I hear that! I see a bunch of C&R things that I would like, but if I bought them all, it would break the bank for me!

Bingo
    I just now received my C&R renewal form and it has a box to check if you do not want to renew and requires you to send in your boundbook. If you do not renew and don't send in the boundbook, expect a knock on your door.
    Just my 2 kopecks

Mine expired a few months ago and the box you are mentioning was on my form also but only pertained to dealers. Has it changed since then?

Quote Originally Posted by billirwin43 View Post
    I just now received my C&R renewal form and it has a box to check if you do not want to renew and requires you to send in your boundbook. If you do not renew and don't send in the boundbook, expect a knock on your door.
    Just my 2 kopecks
    Really? I have heard that if you let your 03 C&R license expire that you dont have to send in your bound book and that you can destroy it. Which is correct?

If you check closely you'll find that the turn in provision only applies to business entities...........ie: not C&R's....................check the ATF's website.

EXACTLY only for businesses not for Collectors..

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-...records-atf-if

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition and disposition records to ATF if they discontinue their collecting activity?

No. Licensed collectors are not required to submit their records to ATF upon discontinuance of their collecting activity.
    [18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4); 27 CFR 478.127]

Just my 2 kopecks
    I believe you may be mistaken sir. I haven't heard of a policy change in this regard. The requirement you speak of only pertains to dealers, unless thee has been a change there.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    If you check closely you'll find that the turn in provision only applies to business entities...........ie: not C&R's....................check the ATF's website.
    Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post

Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition and disposition records to ATF if they discontinue their collecting activity?

No. Licensed collectors are not required to submit their records to ATF upon discontinuance of their collecting activity.
    Thats what I thought also. Thanks guys!

it's easy, everything on-line, but fingerprints and dropping a copy of your application at local police. Good luck

It is actually a CCR license for collector of curios and relics for your own use you can get buy selling one once in a while used to have FFL until Clinton let it go then had CCR until 2014 forgot to renew in time with the FFL had to send bound book did not do anything with CCR when I called them last week about getting new CCR they looked up old one and told me to just fill out App. and send it and money not to worry picture or prints still good on that part

Fill out the form, pass the background check and pay the fee. Easey Peasy.

Gets you discounts at some suppliers(Midway, Brownell's), allows you to have C&R items shipped direct to you and allows you to buy C&R firearms without a 4473 or background check. In free states anyways.

Jeff

Just my 2 kopecks
    Nope. The checkbox and sending in the book are for other FFLs, not a C&R 03. Let mine expire last year (started a 07 FFL instead) and my ATF IOI just acknowledged that it was fine.

Jeff

The Type 03 FFL commonly called a C&R FFL is really handy. BATFE only charges $30 for three years. I don't know if your state or any state for that matter has any other requirements, restrictions or costs - mine doesn't.
    But after you get it then it gets expensive. So far I have added about 40 guns to the fold and I'm about halfway through my first license period.

Most Type 01 FFL Dealers are pretty good but you will run into some Type 01 FFL dealers that don't know anything about Type 03 FFL and even a few that are downright hostile towards Type 03 FFL. I'm not sure what their individual reasons are, doesn't make sense to me.

The ATF web site has a lot of information, forms and lists of eligible firearms and ammunition although it can be confusing to navigate and read. Most of it is non-conflicting but they have their moments. They also have a bunch of open letters which can be very helpful because they often explain how ATF translates the regulations from English to their own language.

Q&A
    https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers

Eligible Firearms Lists
    https://www.atf.gov/publications/fir...ics/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by nextnick View Post
    it's easy, everything on-line, but fingerprints and dropping a copy of your application at local police. Good luck
    Fingerprints? Havent heard about that requirement! Dont have an issue with it but that just dont jive from what I heard. I do know that I need to send a copy of the application to the chief law enforcement officer.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkstarr71 View Post
    Not in California now they want to have a Live Scan which is basically the same approval that you would need for a a CCW
    Yeah IF you can even get them to process your application, I did the Scan, paperwork, paid around $100 in early Oct 2016, STILL haven't gotten the Certificate of Eligibility. They won't tell you what your status is, in less than 5 weeks I'll be moved to New Mexico anyway so it's now a moot point but I'm still out the time, money and aggravation. Hoping they finally send it to me so I can tell them I don't intend to comply with their BS and put it where the sun doesn't shine.
    The only reason I wanted it was so I could have ammo shipped directly to me so I wouldn't have to pay ammo back round check fees. Plus living in a border city and shooting in another state (illegal to shoot here) I could not buy ammo out of state and import it into CA. Also if I went shooting in NV and did NOT use all my ammo I took with me from CA, ending up bringing back some I would be in violation of the law and NONE of the containers are "CA Approved Sold in CA" marked ammo boxes.
    Total and utter BS!!!

Midway stopped the 03 FFL Discount some time ago, Brownell's still active.

Run away!

If you get an 03, you will fill your halls, closets, gun safes and all available spaces under the beds with rifles, pistols and ammunition, spend all your money on more guns, have your wife really mad at brown trucks showing up in the driveway and spend every available hour either messing with the guns, reading about the guns or shooting them.

Take up a more reasonable hobby like heroin or compulsive gambling. Take it from one who knows...I think I will start a chapter of Gun Collectors Anonymous.

california has the most screwed up firearm laws i have ever heard of if you ask me. I cant understand why anyone would want to live there!

Quote Originally Posted by weaselfire View Post
    Fill out the form, pass the background check and pay the fee. Easey Peasy.

Gets you discounts at some suppliers(Midway, Brownell's), allows you to have C&R items shipped direct to you and allows you to buy C&R firearms without a 4473 or background check. In free states anyways.

Jeff
    There are some other states that don't allow certain C&R stuff shipped directly, check your local and state laws!!!!!!

california has the most screwed up firearm laws i have ever heard of if you ask me. I cant understand why anyone would want to live there!
    Why is my posts copying stuff that I am not multiquoting? What the heck is wrong with this forum?

I noticed that several members stated that Midway gives discounts to C&R holders. I just now checked with Midway on "Live Chat" and was told that NO, they don't offer any discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadawg View Post
    Midway stopped the 03 FFL Discount some time ago, Brownell's still active.

This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Roadawg View Post
    Yeah IF you can even get them to process your application, I did the Scan, paperwork, paid around $100 in early Oct 2016, STILL haven't gotten the Certificate of Eligibility. They won't tell you what your status is, in less than 5 weeks I'll be moved to New Mexico anyway so it's now a moot point but I'm still out the time, money and aggravation. Hoping they finally send it to me so I can tell them I don't intend to comply with their BS and put it where the sun doesn't shine.
    The only reason I wanted it was so I could have ammo shipped directly to me so I wouldn't have to pay ammo back round check fees. Plus living in a border city and shooting in another state (illegal to shoot here) I could not buy ammo out of state and import it into CA. Also if I went shooting in NV and did NOT use all my ammo I took with me from CA, ending up bringing back some I would be in violation of the law and NONE of the containers are "CA Approved Sold in CA" marked ammo boxes.
    Total and utter BS!!!
    I completely agree with you buddy California their laws have turn to Absolute crap I had a C&R license a couple years back I bought everything I could possibly get my hands on it expired about a year ago now I'm concerned if they're going to want me to register those as well. I I too am looking looking to move out of California

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    Run away!

If you get an 03, you will fill your halls, closets, gun safes and all available spaces under the beds with rifles, pistols and ammunition, spend all your money on more guns, have your wife really mad at brown trucks showing up in the driveway and spend every available hour either messing with the guns, reading about the guns or shooting them.

Take up a more reasonable hobby like heroin or compulsive gambling. Take it from one who knows...I think I will start a chapter of Gun Collectors Anonymous.
    ......THIS ^^^^ Start collecting K-31's. When u get to 31 stop and u can remember how many yinz have. Put Lycra sides on yur safes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    Run away!

You are obviously overstating the result. I mean really! I always needed 4 Mausers, 6 SKS's, a few Makarov's, and evrybody needs a couple of M-1 Garand's. And those CZ82's are just a good investment.

In PA,,,it's super easy and worth it if you bought just one C&R gun. It costs $30 for 3 years. You call the ATF and ask them to send you the form. If you've been a good boy (Or Girl), you get it in about a month. I've had one for 8 years now, and it's been worth every penny,,,plus some. Pretty much every gun I have ever bought is worth at least twice what I paid. Some up to 6 times. You have to be smart though. If you go crazy, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

The earliest Colt AR-15 rifles would be C&R eligible now.

I just renewed mine for the 3rd time. Keep it on file with places like AIM, Classic, SOG, Centerfire, etc, and have used it with them and numerous times with buys from individuals. I has
    saved me a bunch in transfer fees, gas and running to dealers over the years. As mentioned - one purchase and it has paid for itself.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by nonobadog View Post
    The earliest Colt AR-15 rifles would be C&R eligible now.
    Or they would be if every dealer knew what a C&R was. I've run into several dealers who won't accept a C&R. I don't know if it was ignorance or jealousy, and I suspect a combination of both. I told them all to get bent.

Default C&R 03 License

I would say, yes, it is worth getting the C&R license. Good to use on auctions and other purchases that are on the C&R list. You will have to keep a firearms record book of some sort that shows acquisition and transfer info if ever asked. I keep it separate from private purchases or retail buys where I filled out a 4473 and they did a NICS check. It has helped me get through a few purchases.

Graf&Sons aso gives a dealer discount to C&R holders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast