Charlie Daniels: Itís Only a Matter of Time...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Daniels: Itís Only a Matter of Time...

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Default Charlie Daniels: Itís Only a Matter of Time...

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/ch...treets?ref=yfp

Charlie Daniels: Itís Only a Matter of Time Before There Is Blood on the Streets

By Charlie Daniels | February 14, 2017 | 11:21 AM EST

A tattered and torn American flag blows in the wind with dark clouds overhead (AP Photo/Darlo Lopez Mills)

Over a century ago, the United States of America went through a divisive and bloody Civil War that separated the people of this nation bone from marrow. It split friends, families and eventually the nation itself as a line was drawn dividing the Union States of the North from the newly formed Confederacy of the Southern States.
    Ostensibly, the war that followed was fought over the abolition of slavery, a devilish practice that never should have been allowed in the first place, and although it was the basic issue for the conflict Ė as is the case so much of the time Ė there were a myriad of other issues involved.
    One Ė in my opinion Ė was just plain stubbornness and pride and the dogged determination that the South would not let itself be told what to do by the other half of the country, but trade, tariffs and different attitudes and beliefs about just how far a federal government could go in setting the tone and making laws to be obeyed by all the states were also involved.
    The point I'm trying to make is that the feelings festered so long and ran so deep that men whose fathers had stood shoulder to shoulder in the war for independence faced off across fields of battle and killed each other.
    The Civil War never should have happened, and had cooler heads prevailed on both sides, never would have. Southerners had to know that slavery was an abomination to the principles they had fought and died for in the Revolution.
    No man has the right to own another man, to reap the fruits of his labor for nothing, to consider his children nothing more than commodities to be sold off or traded away on a whim, separating
    families and breeding human beings like livestock.
    But instead of acknowledging the very obvious evil of this situation, politicians from the South, convinced that the economy of the Southern States was dependent on slavery, chose to become a separate nation and soon after over six hundred thousand Americans lost their lives in a senseless war that would set the Southern States back a half century.
    Surely, had it been approached by fair, level-headed men on both sides of the issue, abolition could have been achieved without war. But the rhetoric grew ever hotter. Brash young men on both sides, who had never fired a gun in anger, viewed a war as the pinnacle of romanticism, and implacable politicians refused to give an inch.

Is this not the same attitude we see on the streets of America today?
    I see young people interviewed on television who can't even articulate the reason they are protesting. Others bent on destruction who probably espouse no cause but chaos.
    I've seen hysterical protestors screaming about First Amendment rights which they seem to think only protects them and those who think like them and that the opposition has no first amendment protection and should be shouted down at all costs.
    The rhetoric is becoming hotter and more nonsensical, the radical element more apparent, the violence and destruction of property more common place.
    The pot is boiling and itís only a matter of time before there will be blood on the streets.
    Americans have the right to civil disobedience, a right to gather and demonstrate against some policy they feel is unfair or harmful to the country at large, but they do not have the right to interrupt commerce, break windows, burn cars or do bodily harm to those who disagree with them.
    People who won't listen to reason, who ignore the law of the land and who try to stifle the opinions of others tend to forget that there is an element of violence on the other side as well, a side that, thankfully, so far has not yet come forth.
    But, should these conditions continue, someday soon the violent elements of both persuasions will find themselves on the same streets, and what will ensue will not be pretty.
    Learn from history, or repeat it.
    What do you think?
    Pray for our troops, our police and the peace of Jerusalem.
    God Bless America
    ó Charlie Daniels
    "The superior man, in the world, does not set his mind either for anything, or against anything; what is right he will follow." - Confucius
    NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
    Oklahoma State Cowboys ---- #1------ GO POKES!

I agree with Charlie, but the most important part of the article is the last 2 lines before he signs. it very well could come to that, though. I hope never and especially in my life, I don't want to kill anyone.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

I can not believe the topic of civil war is being discussed. This chills me to my soul. I'm wondering if these misguided fools screaming in the streets understand the dynamics, and when the tipping point is reached are they going to follow through or stand there wringing their their hands saying "this wasn't supposed to happen! This isn't what we wanted!" I hope that point is never reached. God help us

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Cool

Un civil rest belongs to history...
    unification till it all resets.......... USA triditional way!
    I don't want to aim at another human...."killing would not be winning....peace of mind!"
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 02-17-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Charlie Daniels has brain worms and should not be spouting his abnormal thought-garbage in public.

Study history. Civil war is inevitable. Happens in almost every country, every culture through out history.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
    Study history. Civil war is inevitable. Happens in almost every country, every culture through out history.
    And often more than once. Though some places have long intervals. The Brits have managed with just a couple and then some periods of instability with throat-slitting, as an example. War between the Empress Maud and King Stephen and then the Civil War that led to the execution of Charles I Stuart and Cromwell's Protectorate were the biggies. About 400 years between them and mostly stable once the Stuarts were thoroughly exiled after the early 18th century. So far just the one biggie for us, but we may well have another. Rome had a couple or more, both in the Republic and Imperial period. Etc..
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

The democracy we have today, Canada included has never lasted that long in history. The world has gone nuts and the backlash will be horrible. We are about the reap what we sowed but that is just my opinion which isn't worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    Charlie Daniels has brain worms and should not be spouting his abnormal thought-garbage in public.
    In the course of my daily adventures online I read hundreds of posts and articles and will admit to quickly scanning through many of them. Your comments provided one of those head scratching moments where I had to wonder whether we both read the same original post or whether in my haste I had simply blitzed past Mr. Daniels' "abnormal thought garbage" without even noticing.

Upon a second, more careful reading of Charlie's post I can only conclude that you are the one suffering from the brain eating worms. I see nothing extreme, outrageous, or without historical precedent in Daniels' warnings and challenge you to justify your hyperbolic nonsense.

Use your words. Make your case. Or suffer the very real possibility that all here will disregard your opinion and value.
    Purists of the world, unite!

ďIf ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Ē
    Samuel Adams

In reality he is warning us about what could happen. For example, what will happen when a property owner defends his property from being damaged? When someone defends themselves against people that are threatening them with bodily harm. I can't believe that the police appear to be standing idly by when some of these things happen. Right now it appears that we are becoming a nation that thinks if you don't get your way, then protest, scream, curse, make threats and eventually society will give in. Unfortunately I think that eventually there will be blood spilled on our streets and it will happen when those that are being attacked in some of the protests defend themselves. That, I believe is what Charlie is warning us could happen.

couldn't agree more with your post Richard in NY.

You certainly have a right to your opinion, but that's all it is, YOUR opinion!

Are those that espouse "abnormal thought" to be deprived of the 1st Amendment right? That kind of thinking is what Daniels warns of!

For the life of me, I can't see what the end game of the "protesters" is. If Trump was out, then what? They just want to fall into the mass hysteria to feel as if they belong to or stand for something. Step away from the bong, clean your room, get a job and face reality. If you want change, vote for it next time. Just my opinion. Oh, the Charlie Daniels Band can JAM!
    "You'd know what it is if you needed one!"

Have you seen the interviews with the protestors? 99% of them don't have a clue as to what their even protesting about. They appear to be simply bored with sitting in their parents basements and felt like breaking some windows and setting stuff on fire with apparently no consequence's that I can see, as a previous poster said, the cops I've seen just stand there and don't attempt to stop or arrest them?

I guess they'll go home when the media coverage stops. Hopefully that happens before the bloodshed starts.

IF and this is a big IF, these ass clowns ever decide to push the issue, it wouldn't last more than 5 minutes. These people don't join the military, they don't slaughter pigs, sheep or cattle, they don't hunt or fish hell most of them have probably never held a gun. The sight of blood would make most of them pass out.

When those on the left talk of revolution, they are thinking like a true communist.....in that someone else will do the fighting for them, they believe that just participating is the same as winning., well it don't work that way in war...there are no "safe spaces" or "time outs" or participation trophies.

If there is Bloodshed the thought of the "Blue Berets" i.e. the U.N. coming to our Shores will be just as Bad.They will have the Military Training and Manpower to remake our country into their own Image
    Last edited by TPZ; 02-15-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Default civil war

[QUOTE=ajs3;6292033]I can not believe the topic of civil war is being discussed. This chills me to my soul. I'm wondering if these misguided fools screaming in the streets understand the dynamics, and when the tipping point is reached are they going to follow through or stand there wringing their their hands saying "this wasn't supposed to happen! This isn't what we wanted!" I hope that point is never reached. God help us. We can only handle so much Ferguson, Baltimore, Berkley, sanctuary cities before we run out of patience. I was there for the Watts and Wilshire riots of the 60's. The only property that remained unlooted--unburned was that protected by the Korean shop keepers on the roofs of their stores with rifles. Reason only prevails when BOTH parties want resolution and peace not subjugation. Peacefull protest does not include destruction of other peoples belongings.

May we all pray that it does not come to another Civil War. No nation has killed as many Americans in a war as we have ourselves. Ole Charlie does make a good point ever now and then. This was one of those times. I do not think that he was exaggerating or trying to make us fearful. He was simply calling it like he sees it. I hope that it does not come to that. The town that I live in is one of the safest, and reddest, in one of the reddest states in the Union. I am an old disabled Vet, and the people in this part of the country care for Veterans very well. It is doubtful that I would be in danger myself, but our nation would take years to heal after a conflict of this type. There are still people who have not forgotten, nor forgiven, what happened in the last Civil War. Hopefully, sane and smart minds will steer the hot heads from behind the scenes, and bring some semblance of rationality to these times. If you are a praying person, now would be a good time to put in a few words to the Master. He has ways of calming things down. And we need Him, and His help, right now.

We're a long long way away from any second civil war. US is still rich beyond belief as a nation & as long as that wealth is there
    to fund all kinds of social welfare benefits, there will be no civil war. Everyone is too fat to do anything more than complain, even
    the rioters are just out for an evening of entertainment & fun.

Sounds like Ol Charlie can't wait to get his shooting irons out an kill someone, anyone, like emmmm, protesters. Maybe the protesters have guns too, but im guessing you ain't got to figuring that. Like someone shooting back? Nah. Protest is as American as apple pie. But, I'll tell you what, if you don't like it why don't you go back to Russia. Sounds like you have plenty of friends there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    In the course of my daily adventures online I read hundreds of posts and articles and will admit to quickly scanning through many of them. Your comments provided one of those head scratching moments where I had to wonder whether we both read the same original post or whether in my haste I had simply blitzed past Mr. Daniels' "abnormal thought garbage" without even noticing.

Upon a second, more careful reading of Charlie's post I can only conclude that you are the one suffering from the brain eating worms. I see nothing extreme, outrageous, or without historical precedent in Daniels' warnings and challenge you to justify your hyperbolic nonsense.

Use your words. Make your case. Or suffer the very real possibility that all here will disregard your opinion and value.
    Well said Richard in NY, I am in total agreement. Mr. Daniels is as Patriotic an American as they come.
    MOLON LABE

"Better to fight for something than to live for nothing"
    Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by nagantino View Post
    Sounds like Ol Charlie can't wait to get his shooting irons out an kill someone, anyone, like emmmm, protesters. Maybe the protesters have guns too, but im guessing you ain't got to figuring that. Like someone shooting back? Nah. Protest is as American as apple pie. But, I'll tell you what, if you don't like it why don't you go back to Russia. Sounds like you have plenty of friends there.
    No one values the 1st Amendment or the right to air their grievances more than I do. However there is a difference in protesting and rioting...that is, the willful destruction of the property belonging to others. People engaging in such behavior should "go back to Russia" as you put it and see how far they get with their criminal acts!
    MOLON LABE

Gen. George Patton

Hmm, Charles Daniels has "brain worms" according to you. eh? Methinks that you may have a touch of trypanosoma gambiense, which is known to cause confused thinking.

"As American as apple pie". I often wonder who came up with that one. Apples are not native to the Americas. The ones in N. America were brought over by English settlers so they could make their favorite dessert - apple pie.

Seems to me the best action is a civil war at the ballot box. Lets get some term limits imposed, and then vote all the career politicians out.

Hopefully there would be common minded/common sense in DC and the rivals could get together.

Quote Originally Posted by antar029 View Post
    Seems to me the best action is a civil war at the ballot box. Lets get some term limits imposed, and then vote all the career politicians out.

Hopefully there would be common minded/common sense in DC and the rivals could get together.
    I am in complete agreement with that, civil war for me would be an absolute last resort.
    MOLON LABE

Gen. George Patton

They brought apples over from England! I didn't know that. They brought tea over also. Not from England of course. Tea? Tea? Hey I remember some protesting in Boston over that. It's was a while ago though. Lousy stinking protesters.

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1sof View Post
    Have you seen the interviews with the protestors? 99% of them don't have a clue as to what their even protesting about. They appear to be simply bored with sitting in their parents basements and felt like breaking some windows and setting stuff on fire with apparently no consequence's that I can see, as a previous poster said, the cops I've seen just stand there and don't attempt to stop or arrest them?
    actually watching this thing build up police are stepping up and macing and telling protesters to clear the roads ,, cities and states are talking passing laws if protesters block the way ,it will be legal to drive thru ,soros is paying these snowflakes to protest ,and most are just there for the check .

Why insult someone because they say something that represents the thoughts of many. Unaware of his commentary I wrote something very similar and in closing I made the point that civil war doesn't scare me. What I really concerns me is that I welcome it. What I find disconcerting is that we can't come up with a better solution after all we have been through. Maybe the true horror of a civil war with all the advanced technology we have at hand is all the only thing will wake us up again. Because we are sure as he** asleep at the wheel. We have become too complacent with peace. We no longer fear hatred but embrace it Maybe civil war is the only answer. But, who will win? Nobody.

We can all thank that Obama from Chicago for polarizing us to even discuss this sort of thing-- I made that statement because I have never been polarized to any extent-- What has gone on the last eight years has caused this as well as the current idiots that will not back the President of the USA- They seem more or less wanting to bring anarchy into our very front rooms-- I am 64 lived through the riots of 1968 and I can tell you that I have never been more apprehensive than now- I have friends of a rainbow coalition Black, Hispanic and oriental and they are all scared of the same thing, I live in the country sort of and if rioting starts I will have a crew of people camping on my property or inside my home--I believe the civil war started November 8, we need to stay the course and vote these idiot's out of office and end them as a political party -Period- That goes for republicans also, if they are not for the reform government they need to go also-If we can get a reform government into place and secure it solidly, we will be set fora long time--
    Last edited by Vic; 02-24-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Very well said Richard, we are of the same mind on that.

I would first beg to differ and as a Southerner we know that Yankees like to resolve themselves from blame but slavery was also conducted in the North. In 1803 the New England states resolved to secede from the union when the absolution of slavery was promoted. The then Congress moved to stop the further import of slaves from Africa. As most plantations in the Caribbean were the property of Northern owners it was not made illegal to bring slaves in from there.
    The reasons for the secession were the tremendous tariffs and taxes imposed by the government on Southerners because they chose to sell their cotton to the English and French as well as many other goods as rice, saffron, tea, indigo, etc. as they paid higher prices for them.
    The Commanders in the Confederacy were commissioned officers in the US military and had been in service in the war with Mexico together and resigned their commissions to return home and defend their home states as the US Military set upon them to do war.
    I find today we once again are faced with the same divide and the social issues are of morality and social duty to the nation and to not place upon your fellow Americans the financial responsibility's that you as an individual have incurred through your own actions or lack of.
    I will neither bear the burden of or relieve the individual of his personal responsibility to house, feed and provide for yourself and family. Every American has been afforded the same opportunity's of education and employment, with the minority's having been given greater privilege over fellow Americans not by they character but for the color of their skin.
    I am a Constitutionalist as I feel many, many of the 66M people who voted for President Trump are and we want a change to the civility and morality and social responsibility of the individual. We want the laws of the nation to be enforced equally in and on all persons in our country without privilege of status or race or position.
    We should not accept any person into our nation that can not or will not be able or willing to function on this bases. We should expel all who have come illegally and who violate our laws and statutes.
    You Sir should further study your history beyond what you were taught in the 8th grade or are feed by the Un-History channel.
    I stand first and foremost a proud Southern American and I stand with pride by the acts of my honorable ancestors and the sacrifice they bore to remain free to live their lives as they chose. The flag of the USA that flies today is the same flag that flew over this country that condoned and sanctioned slavery. I challenge you to read the Emancipation Proclamation and the words that freed only the slaves in the states in Rebellion.
    I will never relinquish my God, my rights or my gun and will defend my freedom and those who wish to stand as Americans, One Nation, under One God with Liberty and Justice for all with no other consideration for sexual orientation, gender or political leaning, religion or race.
    As General Patton so eloquently said: We do not die for our country, we make the other SOB die for his!

Richard is a wise member, very wise, and knows the value of our gun rights and the value of collecting.

Another member lost credibility. Could have been an obummer man crush or Trump derangement syndrome, but sadly lost it IMO?? Anything he says is now in the crapper IMO. Very sad but what we see with our "gun rights supporters" these days.

I do not pretend to understand a distorted view of our gun rights, lack of support for someone who supports our gun right, or a support of a former POuS that did not support the 2nd. But even on a gun supporting forum one can see that the struggle to keep the 2nd Amendment strong is a struggle beyond logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Alexander View Post
    "As American as apple pie". I often wonder who came up with that one. Apples are not native to the Americas. The ones in N. America were brought over by English settlers so they could make their favorite dessert - apple pie.
    So the apple's origins can be traced back to someplace else? Sounds pretty American to me...

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

The following is my opinion, if you disagree, then let's agree that we disagree.

The one thing that puts a burr under my saddle is when people today start talking of the American Civil War and immediately associate it with slavery. Slavery was not the issue that put the match to the powder keg. It was states rights, and the Northern states lording over the Southern states. Lincoln used the slavery issue to fill the depleted ranks of his army to win his illegal war. Hence the reason Jefferson Davis, and others, were never charged with war crimes. The so called inventor, Eli Whitney, stole cotton technology from Britain to produce cloth in the North. Before this, Britain bought raw cotton from the South, turned it into cloth and clothing, which was then exported from Britain to the North. The North levied tariffs on those goods to have an advantage when selling their own cloth and clothing. In return, Britain stop buying Southern cotton, and started growing cotton in their colony of India. The South, outraged by the North's actions, sought to secede from the Union. However, Mr. Lincoln would have none of that. People of the North rioted in the streets against the draft. They did not want to fight Mr. Lincoln's war. So to fill his army's depleted ranks, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation. The Great Emancipator had no great opinion of the "negro race." He use them as a means to an end. That end being to bring the South to heel. In short, Blacks were no more than cannon fodder to Mr.Lincoln.

I have to shake my head at these pampered cry babies, who would rather have career criminals in the office of the POTUS, than take a chance with someone who paid his own way, and refuses to take salary for his service to his country. Every move he makes, his is lashed with negative criticisms. People blaming him for their criminal actions of looting and pillaging, destroying what others have worked hard to build. I say its high time to turn loose the water cannons and say ENOUGH!

So the Great Struggle that was the Civil War was for pompous Red Knecks, like yourself Suh, to wear nice white cotton T-shirts imported from England. It was nothing to do with the stain on American Democracy.......slavery.

One thing that that puts a burr under my saddle is......A Horses Ass.

So the Great Struggle that was the Civil War was for pompous Red Knecks, like yourself Suh, to wear nice white cotton T-shirts imported from England. It was nothing to do with the stain on American Democracy.......slavery.

Southerners are wonderful people and excellent cooks, but don't look them in the eye or reply in any way when they start talking about the Civil War. Their lack of objectivity is both blatant and proud, and they won't accept any facts that disprove their carefully constructed house of cards. All you are really doing is mentally beating your head against a brick wall. And yes Clyde, I mean you too.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Oh I'm gonna catch hell for this.....Didn't the South shoot first...?? TAKE COVER!!! INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    Southerners are wonderful people and excellent cooks, but don't look them in the eye or reply in any way when they start talking about the Civil War. Their lack of objectivity is both blatant and proud, and they won't accept any facts that disprove their carefully constructed house of cards. All you are really doing is mentally beating your head against a brick wall. And yes Clyde, I mean you too.
    +1 And I was born in Greenville, Mississippi!

Personal Memoirs of General U. S. Grant (1885)

"The South claimed the sovereignty of States, but claimed the right to coerce into their confederation such States as they wanted, that is, all the States where slavery existed. They did not seem to think this course inconsistent. The fact is, the Southern slave-owners believed that, in some way, the ownership of slaves conferred a sort of patent of nobilityóa right to govern independent of the interest or wishes of those who did not hold such property. They convinced themselves, first, of the divine origin of the institution and, next, that that particular institution was not safe in the hands of any body of legislators but themselves."

"I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse. I do not question, however, the sincerity of the great mass of those who were opposed to us."

And, too long to post here, but there's a long series of doctoral dissertations on Southern Revisionism and The Lost Cause. A short synopsis is at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_C...he_Confederacy
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

The following is my opinion:
    As many a good historian will tell you, history is written by the victor, and quite often his side of the story. I can say with quite certainty that the truth quite often is painful to those fed the lies of propaganda all their lives. The Northern revisionists rewrote the history of the American Civil War many a year ago. I do not support slavery.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the history of New York's Harvard School of Medicine, and their use of slave cadavers for the study of medicine? Or the once forgotten slave cemetery, unearthed during construction in 1991, the resting place of the first slaves brought to New York. http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9802/12/t_t/burial.ground/

And what of the riots by white citizens in the North, rebelling against the draft of that time? Which brought about the Emancipation Proclamation, filling the ranks of the Union army with fresh grist for the mill. Or what happened to Black soldiers, veterans, returning from the trenches of battlefield Europe in Washington DC? Which why so many Black soldiers were not allowed to take up arms, and their contributions down played, in World War II.

And I am more than familiar with modern day Northern attitudes towards the South, such as you have demonstrated, having lived for some thirty years in New England. The Southern health care system is medieval and far more costly when compared to that of the North. And during this time of the second Reconstruction of the South, we find that our Hospital and medical services, while staffed by Southerners, are owned by out of state corporations who siphon away the profits, barely maintaining the facilities. The North remains a leech on the neck of the South. The city of New Orleans is infested with non-resident owner, who reside in the North, looking to flip their New Orleans properties for outrageous profit. Are you familiar with the term carpet baggers.

And rest assured good "suh", I would never attempt to either saddle, or mount, you, I would prefer a a well groomed filly to an uneducated ignorant ass. Yes, I realize that the adjectives are redundant. But, I feel its only fitting. Further, while in my youth I did toil in the fields and earned my redneck, I am a proud educated, well traveled coonass!

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    Please, good sir, show me your facts, and disprove mine, if you can. Blow down my so-called house of cards. It one thing to talk out of the side of one's mouth and smear someone, totally another thing to prove your accusations.

Interesting Join Date: Dec 1969, a bit of a history revisionist yourself, eh? I have been using computers since the days Commodore PET, don't recall the internet back then. BBS's and FIDO in the days of the 8088xt's, BASIC and DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs3 View Post
    Oh I'm gonna catch hell for this.....Didn't the South shoot first...?? TAKE COVER!!! INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!

Not from me you won't. The garrison at Fort Sumter were given a deadline to leave the island. Refusing to do so, they were expelled by force. Edmund Ruffin was credited with the honor of firing the first shot. This was followed by artillery bombardment of the fort.

The average Southerner that took up arms was not a slave owner. He owed no fealty to plantation owners. He/she took up arms to fight for hearth and home. Many was the complaint from Northern soldiers of Blacks bearing arms fighting for the South. It was common for Northern prisoner of war guards, as well as Southern, to shoot on sight any Black in uniform of the opposing army. Both sides practiced a scorched earth policy. My Great Great Grandfather was a Federal, IIRC, three of his children died in infancy while he was serving the Northern cause. But, it was the Northern mandate, by the few, that elicited the loyalty of the Southern soldier to the Southern cause. The army of the North was regarded as a pillaging horde, as many accounts of their actions do attest. To know the American Civil War, read the letters, diaries and journals of those who were there. Yes, there are even slave accounts that were taken by a government project during the FDR administration. Not the edited accounts of scholars interpretations of field reports and news stories, later revised to white wash the truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast