Landed a 1935 m28/30 for a pretty good deal.

Thread: Landed a 1935 m28/30 for a pretty good deal.

Default Landed a 1935 m28/30 for a pretty good deal.

I've been looking for an m28/30 for a while now but they've all been outside of my budget. For some reason fortune smiled on me last night while I was browsing online for local for sales. I saw an ad for a Russian 1935 Mosin for $300 and chuckled a bit, figuring it was going to be a 91/30. I clicked just to see what the description had to say but the first picture up was most definately not a 91/30. The last picture confirmed that this was indeed a 1935 m28/30! Surely he's not really selling it for $300?

I emailed the link to a co-worker of mine and texted it off to Titanium Hammer. I figured that since I was out of gun budget right now, somebody I knew had to take this guy up on the offer. No sooner did I do that, I figured that I'd see if the wife would let me take a bit out of the next quarterly budget early for this one. She said "Happy Valentines Day" and to go ahead and get it. She's awesome that way. I called the guy and left a message and then emailed my co-worker and told him it was mine, texted Titanium Hammer and said it was gonna be mine as well. No sooner did I do that but the guy calls me and says it's available if I wanted it and as long as I wasn't a felon. Check. Double check. My enthusiasm was probably punching him in the ear through the phone. He said it would be mine and with a gentlemans agreement, we agreed to meet up on Saturday. It was gonna be a long 5 days waiting! Shortly after I hung up, Titanium Hammer is telling me all about HIS conversation with this guy! Oh man, was he trying to get this one before me? I only had myself to blame if that was the case. But no, he's a stand up guy as well and when he got my text that I was gonna get it, he backed off.
    So this morning at work Titanium Hammer calls me and tells me the seller was trying to get in touch with me because he could arrange to transfer the rifle this morning but couldn't find my number. He did have Hammers though. So I called the seller and agreed to meet. I ditched my 10am meeting and jaunted 20 miles south faster than you could believe. Met the guy and gave him the agreed upon price and got myself this beautiful 1935 m28/30 in exchange.

Enough of my blabbering though, you're likely here for the pics. Sorry there not all that great, the light was fading fast tonight and all I had available was my cell phone. It looks a lot better in person than what the photos show.

Right Side

Left Side

Barrel shank, 1935 m28/30. Bluing is pretty good across the entire rifle. There are a couple of weird "splotches" on the top of the receiver and the rear sight.

The rifle has a Civil Guard District Number of 53717 which falls into the range of 52501 - 54000, in the Etelä Kymenlaakso district.

It appears that the receiver is from a New England Westinghouse.

The left side of the barrel shank is double [SA] stamped.

Left rear sight

Left nose

The bolt has the same serial number as the barrel.

Rear sight top

Butt plate

Barrel collar

The trigger spring is still in place (about 6 pounds and 5 oz).

Interupter / Ejector

There were a couple of shims inside the stock.

A poor photo down the bore but the rifling seems ok, though some wear down in the grooves.

Barrel crown

For $300, I'm more than happy with this one. I need to slug the barrel and then start making some hand loads before this weekend!
    Lotema

-- Below are my favorites from the safe... The others are near and dear to me but these ones are a little more special.
    1905 - M91 - Sestroryetsk
    1916 - M91 - Tula "Peter the Great"
    1917 - M91 - Remington
    1942 - M91 - VKT "B" Barrel
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

That's a beauty. Real good score too.

Poor ignorant seller. I generally inform people of what they have, unless its a jerk or Cabelas... and karma has been good to me....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gustro79 View Post
    Poor ignorant seller. I generally inform people of what they have, unless its a jerk or Cabelas... and karma has been good to me....

The seller had owned it for over 20 years and was really just making room in his safe and not looking to make a bunch of money off of it (his words). I've informed a couple sellers about rifles before and it bit me and lost me the deals because now they wanted significantly more etc. Had one guy just disappear and eventually he told me he sold it for more to another guy after learning what he had. If the seller asks me a question, I won't lie about it if I know the answer. I just try not to talk or drool too much while I'm inspecting the rifle
    Lotema

-- Below are my favorites from the safe... The others are near and dear to me but these ones are a little more special.
    1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Lotema View Post
    The seller had owned it for over 20 years and was really just making room in his safe and not looking to make a bunch of money off of it (his words). I've informed a couple sellers about rifles before and it bit me and lost me the deals because now they wanted significantly more etc. Had one guy just disappear and eventually he told me he sold it for more to another guy after learning what he had. If the seller asks me a question, I won't lie about it if I know the answer. I just try not to talk or drool too much while I'm inspecting the rifle
    You know, if I told somebody what they had and then they screwed me over/ didnt still give me a good deal, I would probably never tell anyone again either... so I retract my statement. Awesome rifle, and I really want one.

Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Now thats a good score - nice rifle.

The blotchy bluing is probably the result of a flaw in the metal or it wasn't clean when it was reblued after the war.

So glad you were able to grab that one & I can't wait to see it at the range this weekend. Looks like it's gonna be a pretty sweet shooter! If only I could have convinced you to spring for a Wz48 Trainer from Bud's earlier this week that baby would be mine!
    Yup, I can also verify that Lotema got screwed big time by that guy after giving him knowledge about the rifle. Funny thing is, I think Lotema was still able to track the rifle down & acquire it from the guy who bought it out from under him.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Hammer View Post
    Funny thing is, I think Lotema was still able to track the rifle down & acquire it from the guy who bought it out from under him.
    Yeah, I tracked the scent of that one for a while. Took a couple months and some more cash than it should have but it came home with me.
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

You dirty dog....someone report a theft. Good find, good sir. Good find.

USMCsean is online now Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Congrats on the new rifle. I like it!
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

I know that the M39 is supposed to be the epitome of wartime Mosin Nagant technology. But I personally like those M28/30s much better. One heck of a rifle. Good show!

The rifle has a Civil Guard District Number of 53717 which falls into the range of 52501 - 54000, in the Etelä Kymenlaakso district.
    A rifle from Virolahden merisuojeluskunta (literally "Virolahti Naval Civil Guard").

I didn't know there were any 28-30s in the wild in WA....

Real nice rifle!

Pahtu.

Was just going to say the same thing. In 25+ years of collecting, I've never seen an M28/30 for sale in WA. Great score!
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    I didn't know there were any 28-30s in the wild in WA....

Real nice rifle!

Pahtu.
    There isn't any more!! Honestly when I saw the add and was calling him, I was hoping that I was beating YOU to this rifle! You do a good job of finding the really interesting ones pretty much in all 4 corners of the state!
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Thanks for the extra information Mangrove, I appreciate it. While certainly not my first Finn Mosin, it is my first Civil Guard one. Now that I have one, it gives me a lot more incentive to dive deeper into the rich history of the Civil Guard itself!
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Congratulations on a great score Lotema. Denny

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    I know that the M39 is supposed to be the epitome of wartime Mosin Nagant technology. But I personally like those M28/30s much better. One heck of a rifle. Good show!
    I've been wanting one of these for quite a while because a lot of you guy's keep talking them up so much! Very happy to finally have one of my own that I can try out. Even happier to get it for a great price.
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

I have had several M39s over the years & they are great.....but....I like the 28-30s....More!

Pahtu.

There isn't any more!! Honestly when I saw the add and was calling him, I was hoping that I was beating YOU to this rifle! You do a good job of finding the really interesting ones pretty much in all 4 corners of the state!
    LOL...never seek rifles other than shows, shops or online auctions, any other online sources I don't use, probably should, but I never look. Besides, I already have a nice 1935 28-30....

Pahtu.

Lovely rifle!

Very interesting history as well.

Here in Canada, I have never even Seen a M 28/30.

Been looking for a long time!

Nice rifle, great price! I've been looking for a nice original non refurbished M28/30 for awhile now, pretty hard to find.

Excellent 28/30. I'll give you $350, and pay for the shipping.

Congrats!
    Pat
    "I hear Mosins--They say 'Buy me!'"

'05 Sestroryetsk M91
    '42 Izhevsk M91/30
    '43 Izhevsk M38
    '44 Izhevsk M91/59
    '44 Izhevsk NAGANT M1895
    '46 Izhevsk M44

Quote Originally Posted by Tiglath-Pileser View Post
    Excellent 28/30. I'll give you $350, and pay for the shipping.

Congrats!
    Tempting but I'm gonna have to take a few decades of shooting this one and seeing how it does first
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    I have had several M39s over the years & they are great.....but....I like the 28-30s....More!

Pahtu.
    I'll third this.

I like that one a lot, and you have to love the price.
    Wer von seinem Tag nicht zwei Drittel für sich selbst hat, ist ein Sklave.

That SYT marked finger groove is a sweet bonus, too!
    Always interested in Finnish rifles.

Wow!!! What a nice piece of Finn history. Your story gives me hope that there's still some great finds out there. Just gotta keep looking for them. Happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    That SYT marked finger groove is a sweet bonus, too!
    Good eyes! I saw there was a mark there but was in a hurry to beat the fading light last night that I didn't get a chance to get a closer up picture of that!
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Really a beautiful finnish sako, bravo!

Nice rifle at an exceptional price! I rarely see Mosins of any variety in the wild here on the east side and people have usually done some unspeakable things to the few I see. Glad a purist like yourself happened upon that gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphorus32 View Post
    Nice rifle at an exceptional price! I rarely see Mosins of any variety in the wild here on the east side and people have usually done some unspeakable things to the few I see. Glad a purist like yourself happened upon that gem!
    We don't usually see many on this side either, other than the typically over priced 91/30's. Every once in a while one will show up but I'd say I can count on one hand the number of interesting ones I've seen locally in the past couple of years. I got half of them and Titanium Hammer grabbed the other half!
    Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

It Probably came from Butch"s guns or Sporting goods ,When Wally Drake was managing one of the stores. He tryed to get mil-surps moving back in the early 90'S,before he moved back to Pa.

Nice one. That's about as good as they get.

Good looking rifle. Congrats.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Good looking rifle. Congrats.
    Thanks everyone. Managed to get this one out to the range yesterday and it didn't disappoint. First group of 10 was pretty good at 50 yards. Went to 100 yards with mixed success with the different bullets I was using, the best group at 100 being about 2.5" with Hornady 150 gr HPBT. Last group of the day wound up being the best with a mix of 1 of those Hornady rounds and 4 Sierra 180gr SPBTs. Only shot it at 50 yards but managed under half an inch. I can see why everyone likes these ones so much. Very smooth shooter with very low recoil. I could easily see getting another one of these in the future. Or 5 more.... It shot a few inches high and to the left. Next trip to the range, I'll take the sled and get it centered. I swapped out the front blade for a taller one, so next time I should be able to hit POA.

Lotema

1917 - M91 - Remington
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Oh my! I was going to get this one! I saw the ad right when it came up but was funding another rifle. Instantly regretting it now ...Beautiful rifle. Nice pick up