Gunboards Forums banner

Correct type finish for a PA / Kentucky flintlock barrel

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Grabenkater 
#1 ·
Last summer I picked up a Dixie Gun Works kit for a PA rifle at a yard sale. It is going to be a winter project and presently the barrel is in the white and I would like to put some kind of finish on it, blue, brown, rust blue or polished in the white. What would have been a correct metal finish for this type rifle? Thanks for your responses!

#2 ·
A close friend of mine has been building custom front loaders for years and usually browns them after meticulous surface prep, i.e., drawing filing, polishing, etc. I built a TC .50 Hawken in the mid 1970's and used Birchwood Casey browning. Worked great and still looks good. BTW, I waited until my wife was out of the house before using the oven.

#3 ·
I think the "correct" finish is no finish at all. The colonials, if I remember my history, simply let the rifle's barrel take on a patina on its own. Browning, Rust Bluing and Bluing are more of a modern twist, with most guys I think going to browning the barrel.

Let me just say that if you brown the barrel, use Plum Brown or some other method that requires heating the barrel before applying the browning agent. Do not use the stuff that requires moisture to speed up the process. I used Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution on my last build and it came out looking not so great, and the brown comes off easily. I used Plum Brown on my first build, and it looks good and has held up well.

#6 ·
If I may, Homer Dangler (available from the Log Cabin Shop) Makes a cold brown solution that is very, very good.

I've used this stuff on several barrels, locks, furniture, with fantastic results.

Mr. Dangler (now deceased IIRC) built custom rifle guns for years. I believe his long time apprentice took over the business, his name escapes me as well.

It (brown) takes time, a week or more depending on temperature, and humidity. You can get a baby bottom smooth brown, or a "pitted" heavily browned patina.

It is well worth a try.

Wendell

#7 ·
It all depends on era and place. Most modern long rifle makers over use browning methods, especially on hardware and locks IMHO.

It's not hard to find original rifles that were originally blued or left in the white. This has been discussed at length on American Long Rifles forum if you want to research it over there.

I believe you will find that browning may very we'll be incorrect for certain rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.