Svt40 joined the clan...now with a pict

Thread: Svt40 joined the clan...now with a pict

Default Svt40 joined the clan...now with a pict

Hi Fellas,

Picked up my SVT Monday and have been going over the tutorial. I noticed a few things while comparing it to the data. I was able to get a break in my kitchen remodel, actually I stopped because I couldn't wait any longer, and the boss was gone. I took the bolt & trigger group out, so I could drool over everything, and run some Butches Bore Shine through the barrel.

All the groups were pretty clean, but the bore could use some love. Quickie clean job, but it's still pretty dark, lands look sharp, grooves still have crap in them. I just wanted to do what I could and get some oil in there. I'm pretty sure it's gonna shoot good regardless.

Everything EPd has the same number, including the brake, but not the mag. No rails, I guess I jumped the gun when I got a scope mount I stumbled across, now I'll have to find another rifle that fits it .

'41 Tula star refurb. Haven't looked everywhere for the marks, but the most obvious are:
    Plumb bolt forced matched carrier & bolt
    TG (narrow) & receiver numbers match, but it has 2 letters "CM" preceding the serial, where the chart only shows 1 letter
    Safety has a hole
    Matching stock struck horizontally
    Mag epd not matching, it's mag #3 with the original serial stamped out, has a single lug, not quite round pin hole
    Thicker AVT furniture and 7 hole HG
    2 port brake
    Correct canvas and leather sling with buckles and dog collar attached at butt, 2 piece front sling swivel

I got baggie of goodies, the fella said there was a gas adjusting tool. Haven't dumped that stuff out and inventoried it. Plan on getting the stainless parts now that it's in my hot little hands.

Also ran across 1K Russian X54 at '90s prices, and I've already been sitting on a ton of it for the Mosins.

The SVT40 is a pretty cool machine thing. I hope it doesn't send me down the rabbit hole.

3 SKSs make bail Thursday. I'll get some pictures up of this latest stuff when I'm able.

Just for giggles, I drug out my FN49 to handle them side by side. SERIOUS main battle rifles. They're both too cool, I feel fortunate to have been able to acquire them.

This is better than Christmas. PAX
    Last edited by Echo 1; 03-20-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    You need a crew

Quote Originally Posted by Echo 1 View Post

... but it has 2 letters "CM" preceding the serial, where the chart only shows 1 letter
    Only first letter matters, so table has just first letters.

I am waiting arival of an svt 40 that has rails if your looking to sell the scope mount. Just saying ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by flboater View Post
    I am waiting arival of an svt 40 that has rails if your looking to sell the scope mount. Just saying ?
    If I did that, I wouldn't have a good reason to get another PAX
    You need a crew

Sorry guys. I took a few pictures this morning, but photobucket is giving me grief, so that's all I got time for. PAX

Last edited by Echo 1; 03-20-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    You need a crew

Seems to me photobucket has been getting worse as the years go on. Waiting longer for ads than being able to do anything on it. But nice looking SVT though. Very fun rifles!
    MOSIN PRIME!

Always looking for interesting Imperial Mosins! Antique M91s, 91/38s and Imperial dated Nagant revolvers. PM me if you may have one you may be looking to trade/sell.

Congrats on the new SVT, pics look good! I'm pretty much kicking Photobucket to the curb. It's all but useless in any browser other chrome and even there it's iffy at best. I don't mind paying for the service but with the performance of the 'free' service, I'm not inclined to try to pay version as there's no guarantee it's any better. Too many other good photo archival sites out there to bother wasting my time on PB.
    Lotema

-- Below are my favorites from the safe... The others are near and dear to me but these ones are a little more special.
    1905 - M91 - Sestroryetsk
    1916 - M91 - Tula "Peter the Great"
    1917 - M91 - Remington
    1942 - M91 - VKT "B" Barrel
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Lotema View Post
    Congrats on the new SVT, pics look good! I'm pretty much kicking Photobucket to the curb. It's all but useless in any browser other chrome and even there it's iffy at best. I don't mind paying for the service but with the performance of the 'free' service, I'm not inclined to try to pay version as there's no guarantee it's any better. Too many other good photo archival sites out there to bother wasting my time on PB.

I hate photobucket. If somebody posts links to them, that is pretty much the end of my trying to see what they are attempting to show. There are some hosts that are nearly so bad but it is the worst IMO.

Added one more and gave up. PAX
    You need a crew

Nice SVT40; looks like you got a SVT38 mag with it.
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3

Thanks guys. Apparently the mismatched mag is wrong in a good way. I also got a little baggie of goodies with it, but no gas wrench. Extra firing pins, 3 different hammers, triggers, sight ladders, screws and stuff I'm not yet familiar with, bunch of internal goodies. PAX
    You need a crew

Quote Originally Posted by PAshutr3 View Post
    Nice SVT40; looks like you got a SVT38 mag with it.
    No, not a SVT 38 mag. Just a early SVT 40 mag. But still a nice mag to have.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...VT-38-Sighting
    Last edited by msniper19; 03-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks for the link; I missed that thread! We learn more and more every year about these great rifles.

PA
    Looking for PU scope number 10062. See post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...light=pashutr3