British Navy uniform

Thread: British Navy uniform

Default British Navy uniform

I have managed to piece together an elusive British Navy uniform. The jumper and broadfall trousers have no markings, so I can not be sure of the vintage. The cap has a tally from a ship that served until 1920, so it could be from WWI or it could have had the tally changed. It came in a tin container with dicky and scarf shown on the mannequin. The scarf is a bit ratty on the ends, and I need to iron it and fold it the other way to clean it up. A couple of small ditty bags also came with the cap, all named to the same sailor. The material of the cap looks right for the time, and is different than the WWII vintage caps that I have seen. This is an important part of the WWI conflict, and until I can find a better example, it will serve for public display to help educate people about the sacrifices all service men and women.

This is small consolation for missing SOS this year, we are dealing with flooding and other issues at home and I can not get away to attend. Between this and Jeff's last catalog, I am pretty broke now, now I need to find a French Navy Uniform.

I can't make SOS either, which means everything we want will be there. It also means I can't bring my Ross Mk.III with serial # indicating it was on HMS Canada when transferred to the Chileans to go along with your tar.

Haven't seen too many British naval shells from WWI on that market, but will keep my eye open. One of those would fit with Jack. Hope the flooding subsides.
    Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum.
    (To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.)

-M. Tullius Cicero

The worst part is everyone will post photos of the stuff we missed. Thanks for the Ross, I will send my FFL so you can ship it, I will even pay the shipping The flooding is just a minor irritation for me, the biggest is that I have to stay close to avoid it being worse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Well done Gsu!

That is a rare and difficult display to acquire. He looks great! Do you plan on arming him as a member of a landing party or will he simply remain a "swab jockey?" Inquiring minds want to know! Of course as you well know I always favor weapons for all.

Thank you for sharing this rare and new display with us.

Warmest regards,

JPS

Hey John,
    I have been toying with arming him, but I doubt a crewman from the HMS Europa would have been armed for a landing party, they would have been too busy to put anyone ashore at Gallipoli, so I think I will wait until Tplan's Ross arrives and see if I can find an HMS Canada tally.

No disrespect on my part but why not provide this sailor with some (military) brush or mop ... sometimes the decks must have been cleaned ... ask any drafted soldier/sailor.
    I know, thinking somewhat outloud now but IMHO not "out of the box".

BTW, one of my former BIL's (murdered in Africa) had horizontal ironed stripes on his "elephant feet" military trousers (between the knee and the foot), seven, representing the seven seas he had sailed on during his military time. Does such usage exist in the US Navy also?

Quote Originally Posted by Big commander View Post
    No disrespect on my part but why not provide this sailor with some (military) brush or mop ... sometimes the decks must have been cleaned ... ask any drafted soldier/sailor.
    I know, thinking somewhat outloud now but IMHO not "out of the box".
    That is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Big commander View Post
    BTW, one of my former BIL's (murdered in Africa) had horizontal ironed stripes on his "elephant feet" military trousers (between the knee and the foot), seven, representing the seven seas he had sailed on during his military time. Does such usage exist in the US Navy also?
    Not that I know of, but every sailor who crossed the equator (at least in the past) has a tattoo to show that milestone.

He also needs the appropriate mug or rasher or beeker or whatever it was that they drank the grog ration from.
    (To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.)

-M. Tullius Cicero

I was looking through the list of "other items" from the seller of the cap, they had another cap, a blue one, that was in the same tin. It has an HMS Vivid tally, there are a number of ships that had that name, but the most common use was fo a training station that was open until 1914. A check of British service records indicates the wearer was born in 1893, this would give a correct time frame for training at Portsmouth and serving on the HMS Europa. I was not able to get more information on actual service with out jumping through hoops, so I am looking at other sources for more information. But it looks like I may have acquired an actual WWI vintage grouping. I will post more photos as the items arrive.

Now another question on the insignia and rank on the jumper. The fouled anchor is "Leading Seaman" do the chevrons make him second class? Also, the blue strip surely designates him as serving on the port side of the ship, but I can not find out the meaning of blue, in the US navy, red was a fireman, white served on the deck, but I have not found any reference on blue (also used in the US Navy) I am making the unwise assumptions that Royal meanings may be similar. Bear in mind that this jumper is not part of H. V. Donald's grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf B View Post
    Hey John,
    I have been toying with arming him, but I doubt a crewman from the HMS Europa would have been armed for a landing party, they would have been too busy to put anyone ashore at Gallipoli, so I think I will wait until Tplan's Ross arrives and see if I can find an HMS Canada tally.
    It turned out that I had already bid on a HMS Canada tally, but I got sniped at the end. I bet the Ross does not show up either

I took another photo of the Royal Navy uniform next to the Kaisersliche Marine and US Navy uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaf B View Post
    It turned out that I had already bid on a HMS Canada tally, but I got sniped at the end. I bet the Ross does not show up either
    Snipers and unreliable sources. This isn't going to be easy.

-M. Tullius Cicero

No tally on the U.S.? Did they go blank during the war, or go to straight U.S. Navy tallies?

-M. Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by tplan View Post
    No tally on the U.S.? Did they go blank during the war, or go to straight U.S. Navy tallies?
    My understanding is that the US used US Navy tallys during the war, during peacetime the tallys had ship's names on them. I was told by s Veteran that after WWII when the sailors mustered out, the boys who were in the navy before the war would put their ship's tally on their caps to show the war time recruits that they were there the whole war. The tally on the cap of my US uniform does have US Navy, but it is very faint.

The HMS Vivid cap arrived, it was in the tin with the HMS Europa, and could have easily been from the same sailor as the records show he was born in 1893 and could have trained at the HMS Vivid Training Station before it was closed in 1914 and then served on the HMS Europa. I am sure most sailors saved all their cap tallies as they moved to a new posting. The first photo shows all my blue caps, and the second shows the white caps. The US Navy caps are the only caps that are named to the same sailor as the uniform.

I found a decent set of RN blues to go with the HMS Vivid cap, they are pre 1932 vintage so they will work for the display

I was in the USN in the mid 60's. They had embroidered strips with the ships name that was sewn on the right shoulder of the jumper either white or blue. Although it has been 40 something years ago the few sailors I've seen in uniform still have the ships name patches on their uniforms. one guy on my ship bought a sewing with boxes of thread. By the end of one med cruise he had earned enough money to buy a brand new car. Frank