Gunboards Forums banner

Skysweeper

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bmorrill 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a pict of my dad at his gun site in Thule, Greenland, ~ 1952.

Also, a pict of his DI, the 549th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I was a kid I remember building the RENWAL model of this incredible AA gun - those spiffy-looking ammunition racks could all be loaded up with teen little rounds and everything that could possibly move, did so. They made a model of the 240mm atomic cannon - 'Atomic Annie', as well.

tac

#3 ·
Ah yes, the Renwall `Blueprint' series models. Good kits, perhaps the best of their time. I built a Twin Forty 40mm AA SP (M42 `Duster'). And a few years later found myself at an Army Maintenance Plant in Germany doing rebuilds on Dusters for real.

Atomic Annie was a 280, not 240 (we had a 240 gun in WWII, but the nuclear capable gun came later, and was a 280). A lot of the design was poached from the German K5(e) 28cm gun, after we brought a couple back from Italy and they got evaluate at Aberdeen.

#4 · (Edited)
The kits show up on eBay every once in a while, but you better be prepared to part with a sizeable chunk of change if you want to be the proud new owner.

Some of the Renwal kits were re-issued a time or two, but I don't know whether the Skysweeper ever was. I think I built two of them back in the day. Renwal did put out some very nice kits. Never built the "Atomic Annie" kit.

They still got one of those beasts on Post at Sill?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.