Russian IJ70 rear sight shifting
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Russian IJ70 rear sight shifting

  1. #1

    Default Russian IJ70 rear sight shifting

    Gentlefolk,

    I finally got to spend some quality time with my new-to-me IJ70. Function was flawlwss, but it was shooting WAY right -4 inches right of POA. This was not a function of my questionable talents, for the holes were aligned in a neat vertical column way right of point of aim...and this at 8 yards. My pistolship is iffy on a good day, but not that iffy.

    So, I adjusted the rear sight to pull the impact left and got it closer, but noticed as I shot, the sight was drifting again.

    How do I prevent rear sight drift, but still allow for further adjustment? I don't have the sight yet placed where I want it, but I do want to stop the drift as I worh through the sight-in process.

    Thx!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    588

    Default

    If the adjustment screw is turning there is a hardware product called "Vibra-Tight". Not sure of the spelling but it does allow adjustment. There are some Loctite products that allow tiny screws to be removed, but be sure of the properties because some types of Loctite will make that small of a screw permanent.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lincen View Post
    If the adjustment screw is turning there is a hardware product called "Vibra-Tight". Not sure of the spelling but it does allow adjustment. There are some Loctite products that allow tiny screws to be removed, but be sure of the properties because some types of Loctite will make that small of a screw permanent.

    Thx, will look for "Vibra-Tight". Thing is, I am spooked enough about posts on the IJ70 rear sight that I don't want to remove any component parts, I want to keep what I have from shifting around. I don't know how to squirt any schmutz into the threads of the sight adjustment mechanism without dismantling the rear sight adjustment mechanism.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Another option may be to dab a little clear nail polish on the head of the screw once it is properly adjusted. It can always be removed with nail polish remover.

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lincen View Post
    Another option may be to dab a little clear nail polish on the head of the screw once it is properly adjusted. It can always be removed with nail polish remover.
    yeah, that is a tactic I am very familiar with. I just need it to hold lock between sighting-in firing sessions. Hmmm.. wonder if a piece of duct tape over the adjuster might work? I am beginning to see how this piece ended up in a pawn shop. It works fine, but the futzing around to get the holes in the right part of the solar system can be a bit vexing.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Maybe some shim material between the sight and slide would help. I've used inner tube rubber or bicycle cork, handle bar wrap, cut to shape.
    OR, an aftermarket fixed sight is available, requiring some minor DIY installation.

    http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/pis...ov-pistol.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IJ-70 fixed sight.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	1979882
    Last edited by martinbanner; 02-20-2017 at 03:34 PM.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Maybe some shim material between the sight and slide would help. I've used inner tube rubber or bicycle cork, handle bar wrap, cut to shape.
    OR, an aftermarket fixed sight is available, requiring some minor DIY installation.

    http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/pis...ov-pistol.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IJ-70 fixed sight.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	1979882
    <confused>
    That lookes like an adjustible sight...


    Your shim idea is a good one, I had not considered that, thx!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie
    Posts
    8,639

    Default

    I agree that the sight in the previous posts looks like an aftermarket adjustable sight to me, too.

    My IJ70's rear sight is an original, and I just finished fiddling with it to get some insight.

    Which way does your rear sight drift?

    It is obvious that the windage screw on my rear sight has a backing spring to keep everything tight when it gets adjusted, and to keep the sight leaf bearing against the adjusting screw.

    Is it possible at some point some previous owner removed the rear sight leaf on your pistol, and neglected to put the backing spring back in place?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Necessity is the mother of invention, or so it is said. The original Russian commercial (IJ-70) PM adjustable "target" sights were to qualify the Mak as a sporting pistol for import, as compared to Soviet military surplus, which was a no-no. They are probably the cheapest target style sights the Ruskies could come up with, combined with milling the slide for export to the U.S. market. The spring tension design doesn't stand up to recoil very well.
    Hence, the aftermarket "fixed" sight replacement offering. These sights can be zeroed, but after tightening the screw (same screw as the target sight uses), they remain fixed.

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    I agree that the sight in the previous posts looks like an aftermarket adjustable sight to me, too.

    My IJ70's rear sight is an original, and I just finished fiddling with it to get some insight.

    Which way does your rear sight drift?

    It is obvious that the windage screw on my rear sight has a backing spring to keep everything tight when it gets adjusted, and to keep the sight leaf bearing against the adjusting screw.

    Is it possible at some point some previous owner removed the rear sight leaf on your pistol, and neglected to put the backing spring back in place?
    My holes drift right. As for the pistol's history, well, it was found in a pawn shop in Newark, OH, soooo......

    And after I get the windage sorted, I then have the elevation... sigh...

  12. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    Necessity is the mother of invention, or so it is said. The original Russian commercial (IJ-70) PM adjustable "target" sights were to qualify the Mak as a sporting pistol for import, as compared to Soviet military surplus, which was a no-no. They are probably the cheapest target style sights the Ruskies could come up with, combined with milling the slide for export to the U.S. market. The spring tension design doesn't stand up to recoil very well.
    Hence, the aftermarket "fixed" sight replacement offering. These sights can be zeroed, but after tightening the screw (same screw as the target sight uses), they remain fixed.
    Where is there info on these "fixed" sights?

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
    Where is there info on these "fixed" sights?
    This thread may help you decide if a replacement sight is for you.
    There is no published info that I know of...not even a YOU-TUBE vid I could find. Kind of like folklore passed from generation to generation (only it's IJ-70 owner to IJ-70 owner).
    You can read more by entering "IJ-70 sights" into the forum advanced search engine. Or google it for almost all threads ever.

    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ht-on-my-IJ-70

    $32 @ http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/pis...ov-pistol.html

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Posts
    24

    Default

    When you install the replacement "fixed sight", do you need to use Lock-tite on the screw?

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    When you install the replacement "fixed sight", do you need to use Lock-tite on the screw?
    I had to on mine. And I had to shim it get the proper elevation.

  16. #15

    Default Rear Sight

    Quote Originally Posted by martinbanner View Post
    This thread may help you decide if a replacement sight is for you.
    There is no published info that I know of...not even a YOU-TUBE vid I could find. Kind of like folklore passed from generation to generation (only it's IJ-70 owner to IJ-70 owner).
    You can read more by entering "IJ-70 sights" into the forum advanced search engine. Or google it for almost all threads ever.

    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ht-on-my-IJ-70

    $32 @ http://www.gunpartswarehouse.com/pis...ov-pistol.html
    After reading the problems, etc., on the adjustable sights on the IJ-70, I ordered the one from gunpartswarehouse. I then read the posts on installing the sight, didn't seem like a big deal until I tried to remove the pin on the adjustable sight. I couldn't get it to budge. After fighting with it for a day or so, I took it to my local gunsmith to see if he could remove it. He couldn't get it to budge either. He asked if I wanted to save the adjustable one or not as he could cut it off so that's what I did. Don't know why we couldn't remove it. Anyhow, got the new sight on....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sight.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	2019265
    Last edited by trikerdon; 03-05-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •