Gunboards Forums banner

Pictures of sks jungle stock

20K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TROY MAY 
#1 ·
WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE SKS FIBERGLASS STOCKS? Are they original and were they used in Viet Nam?

#2 ·
They are original, there is a debate as to whether they were used in VN, supposedly one vet from the war has one that came back that way. Others seem to think the idea was to make them was a result of the war and they might not of been put into service till later.

#3 ·
A while back I was reading about the fall of Saigon. I recall that the writer mentioned the fact that many SKSs were stashed around the city for that purpose and when the last siege began, the rifles were recovered for use by the local insurgents/soldiers. Unfortunately, many of the rifles had original wood stocks that the bugs had discovered were pretty tasty, evidentally, because many of the stocks had been eaten away. The article went on to describe how the rifles were still used, however, by wrapping a shirt or some other cloth around what was left of the butt area and fired that way. I've only seen a couple of those "plastic" stocks but know they did exist.

Rome

#5 ·
There are 3 different variations of the SKS red plastic jungle stocks.

There was a thread on this subject last fall I had posted with pics.

Do a search on my name for posts it might still come up.

#10 ·
3 variations of jungle stocks

I found your post Bingo, thank you very much. I saw the two pictures you posted and the reference you made to the third type of stock. It appears I have the third type for the spike bayonet with the sling attachment on the bottom of the stock. Thank you for your help.

#6 · (Edited)
I have one with capture papers in a phenolic stock. Since the capture papers do not specifically mention the type of stock (and there is no real reason for the papers to mention this) I cannot for 100% sure say that is how it left VN, but it does have all the characteristics of a jungle refurb weapon and I didn't pay any premium for it.

#17 ·
Nice!

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Still, I think it would be nice if we created a sticky or some sort of series related to the three types of red jungle stocks that may or may not still be available. Many people are always in the process of tricking out their SKS. MANY OF THE OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN MY OPINION ARE GOD AWFUL AND CERTAINLY TAKE AWAY FROM THE ORIGINAL BEAUTY AND FUNCTIONALITY OF THE RIFLE. I love the various original wooden stocks and especially the red phenolic stocks.

I would certainly be interested in pinning down the theory regarding their use in Veit Nam and if they were originaly issued to any troops in that configuration. Another point of interest are the dates of importation which seems to be the primary reason BATFE takes issue with the bayonets attached to the CHINESE SKS RIFLE.

You can own the rifle, you can own the bayonets, you just cannot own the rifle with the bayonet attached to the chicom rifle, unless you can prove importation dates and original configuration prior any imposed bans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.