Cast bullets for the Makarov

Thread: Cast bullets for the Makarov

Default Cast bullets for the Makarov

Hi all,
    after a long hiatus I am getting back into reloading and I have a couple of questions that I hope those with more knowledge than I can answer. The only mold that I've been able to find for 9 x 18 is from Lee it's a 95 grain bullet with a diameter of .365. Now I know the sized diameter should be .363 or .364 I found resizing dies for .363 I am concerned that .002 might be a lot to remove with a sizing die. I plan on using titegroup as a powder. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it . Thanks for the input
    Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation!

I use .365 cast lead bullets from Missouri Bullets with HP-38/Win 231. Why should they be .363 or .364?

Quote Originally Posted by GyMac View Post
    I use .365 cast lead bullets from Missouri Bullets with HP-38/Win 231. Why should they be .363 or .364?
    I thoroughly understand that I can buy hard cast bullets from Missouri bullets and quite a few other manufacturers. As I have a practically unlimited supply of lead alloy for casting bullets and I already my own 9 x 19 bullets. I will be casting my own bullets for the Makarov. We all know what it can be like finding 9x18 ammo. And as I have neither the money or the room to buy or store thousands of rounds at a time casting and reloading 9x18 will be the most cost effective way for me to acquire 9x18 ammo while saving a considerable amount of money.

As for my question concerning 9x18 bullet diameter I have pulled and mic ed several different factory rounds and they all have had a diameter of eather.363 or .364. The only mold I could find for casting bullets go a Makarov is for 95 gn round nose bullets with a sis. Of .365. They sizeing die is .363. That leaves .002 to be trimmed by sizeing. .002 seems like a lot to be trimming off with a sizing die but I am not sure. I have limited experience with the 9x18 and the weapons that fire that round. That's why I was asking those with more knowledge than me. I can have a custom mold made for about $200 plus the cost of a custom sizeing die. All that kind of defeats the purpose of saving money by casting and loading your own rounds. It's not like I'm reloading custom rounds for competitive shooting. I just like to shoot my mak and my p64. I do apologize if I did not make my initial questions clear hopefully I have now explain myself a little better and maybe you can understand my questions pertaining to bullet diameter last thing I want to do is go out and buy a bullet mold and a sizing die that I'm not gonna be able use because the rounds that I have reloaded are too big to chamber and function in my weapons. As I said before any information and/or tips will be greatly appreciated thank you so much for your time

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

By definition the bullet has to be larger than the sizing die and 0.002 is minimal resizing. As a rule of thumb cast bullets should be slightly larger then the corresponding jacketed bullets. For best results slug your bore and use the same size bullet as a starting point.

The Lee molds are work great and I have shot a bunch thru my Mak with no problems (sized and unsized). There was a better special order Lee mold sold by RanchDog but Last I heard he is out of business. It was a flat point bullet with a big metplat. That is what I use now.

For everything you ever wanted to know (and more) about cast bullets check out the Cast Boolits site. I am sure there are dozens of posts that answer your question better than I did

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php

Where did you get a .363 sizing die? I don't see them on the Lee website currently. Many of the Lee bullets don't need sizing from the mold, have you measured them? Lead bullets should generally be .001 over bore size. I just use a moderately heavy amount of Lee liquid Alox lube because the bullet's not set up with tumble lube grooves.

Generally lead bullets will be larger in size than jacketed. That's why the factory bullets you measured were smaller. You could probably load your cast bullets unsized if they drop at .365. I've often thought about casting bullets myself, but just don't have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Roamergrg View Post
    Where did you get a .363 sizing die? I don't see them on the Lee website currently. Many of the Lee bullets don't need sizing from the mold, have you measured them? Lead bullets should generally be .001 over bore size. I just use a moderately heavy amount of Lee liquid Alox lube because the bullet's not set up with tumble lube grooves.
    i haven't bought it yet but I found it on amazon. It was there last weekend

Thanks for the info guys you're cleared up a lot of questions I really appreciate it