Another sniper enters the fold

Thread: Another sniper enters the fold

Default Another sniper enters the fold

I have been looking for one of these several years now so when this one became available while I was on vacation I moved fast to secure it for my collection.

It's a Finn captured 36 Tula PE sniper rifle that was de-scoped before export. It is a mix master of both Izhevsk and Tula parts but the bore is bright with good rifling. I have a nice Ukrainian reproduction PE scope to reside on it while I attempt to track down an original PE scope and mount for it. It will go nicely with my other 1936 Mosins.

A special Thanks goes out to forum member Joop for making it possible for me to acquire such a rare piece for my collection

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Nice addition.

Miller Tyme,

Let me be the first to say that rifle is way too good for your safe. In fact, the only safe I think is worthy to reside in, is Ol' Relics. Please ship him your rifle so it will feel more at home!
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

This was the most interesting conversation I was ever not a part of and I look forward to the next conversation on the topic.
    - Pcan

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VA-Vet View Post
    Miller Tyme,

Let me be the first to say that rifle is way too good for your safe. In fact, the only safe I think is worthy to reside in, is Ol' Relics. Please ship him your rifle so it will feel more at home!
    Works for me. lol I don't think Miller will go for it, however, and I dont blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    Works for me. lol I don't think Miller will go for it, however, and I dont blame him.

Not this one, but I did walk away from a 35 like this on GB yesterday, just figured I would be getting to greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
    Not this one, but I did walk away from a 35 like this on GB yesterday, just figured I would be getting to greedy.
    I'm curious...what's the current price range for examples like these?
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Super nice Finn scope less sniper. Some mixed up parts, as normal, but very nice. Looks like a normal CAI import except the bolt, most were no longer sniper bolts and that one is not numbered. About 200 were imported of all types. Any of them are a treasure IMO since so few Finn snipers came in the US. The top mount guns are so hard to redrill, a rifle never welded is a major gem. Congrats.

Richard, I am guessing a good one is gonna push a grand IMO but who knows. That is as shown, no base or optics. Where will one get one?

If it was German scopeless rig, you could multiply that number by five. I suspect that ratio will change over time but that is IMO.

Great rifle! What is the large triangle stamp on the buttstock right in between the typical roundel and inspection circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    I'm curious...what's the current price range for examples like these?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622730730

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    Great rifle! What is the large triangle stamp on the buttstock right in between the typical roundel and inspection circle?

To be honest I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, will have to pull it from the safe tomorrow and check it out.

Thanks for the auction link. Back in the '90s I picked up a couple of examples like* the linked rifle: Finn captured, mount removed and screw holes left open, with renumbered standard bolt but otherwise matched and original Soviet sniper. I can't remember the exact price but they were less than $300 each.

*The stocks on my rifles were not cut for the Finn marking disks but were otherwise the same.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

To be honest I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, will have to pull it from the safe tomorrow and check it out.
    It appears to read P75 over 1940 whatever that means...

Great stuff! Ill keep my eyes open for the mount and optics.
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR ZF-39 ZEISS 4X ZIELVIER SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ AND CE 44)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT ZEISS/HENSOLDT SETS***

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    Interesting, it seems to read "P75 1940". Don't recall seeing that before.

EDIT: jjxlr8 typed faster.

I had a 1940 Tula Finn capture that had that triangle on the stock too.
    Looking for PU scope # Б05115

P75 - GAU Central Armament base #75, Leningrad, Kushelevka railway station

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12449097.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	1983745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16184585.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	1983753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12449093.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	1983737
    Last edited by Ratnik; 02-22-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Clemson92 is online now Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    About 200 were imported of all types. Any of them are a treasure IMO since so few Finn snipers came in the US. The top mount guns are so hard to redrill, a rifle never welded is a major gem.
    Agreed. I hit the "buy it now" button on the 35 PE mentioned above, as I've been looking for such a gem for a while. Of the very few I've seen for sale, I remember a few PEMs, maybe one or two PEs, and only one PU. Does anyone know how many of each were in that 200 or so?

As far as the going price, I apologize if I've raised the bar a little. For those that own one, or a few, you're welcome.

Now, I might have to sell an arm or leg to pay it off........

Quote Originally Posted by Clemson92 View Post
    Agreed. I hit the "buy it now" button on the 35 PE mentioned above, as I've been looking for such a gem for a while. Of the very few I've seen for sale, I remember a few PEMs, maybe one or two PEs, and only one PU. Does anyone know how many of each were in that 200 or so?

As far as the going price, I apologize if I've raised the bar a little. For those that own one, or a few, you're welcome.

Like I said , I debated buying that one too, but I wanted to save some funds in case a PE scope becomes available. I also don't think you raised the bar on the price as Finn captured top mounts are much harder to find than side mounts IMHO.

very nice, looks imported not a build up rife.

Clemson92, Congrats on the buy....I am currently saving for other items but was trying hard that week to find things I would be willing to sell to fund that rifle....I then decided at work to just buy it once I got home and sell stuff later.....too late, already sold just and hour before! Snooze you loose, as they say, and I did. haha. Still I was kind of glad that I didn't have to empty my account so, thank you! lol. Glad a collector got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemson92 View Post

Last edited by ChargerFury; 02-23-2017 at 05:52 PM.

I also don't think you raised the bar on the price as Finn captured top mounts are much harder to find than side mounts IMHO.
    Congrats to you to Miller Tyme. That is a nice rifle. I can't find any of them, top or side haha. I too have been looking for years and pretty much have given up. I saw the 35 but it caught me by surprise and at a bad time and so much mula to spend....so I hesitated! Anyway, congrats to you both! Nice pics!

Great to see it arrived safely, MT!

I really had to debate with myself over whether or not to sell these rifles. I'm glad to see that this one went to someone who I KNOW is going to love it and care for it in the best possible way.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Joop View Post
    Great to see it arrived safely, MT!

I really had to debate with myself over whether or not to sell these rifles. I'm glad to see that this one went to someone who I KNOW is going to love it and care for it in the best possible way.

John
    Thanks again John, if it didn't have some other pressing irons in the fire I would be all over your PEM in the trader.

Glad to see them bringing this kind of money, as they should. Great and uncommon pieces of history, they are. Guess I should have bought more of them but enough and money do not seem to stay in the same sentence for me.

The PU Finn was definitely the lowest of the batch number wise. I am guessing the PEM side mounts and PE top mounts were near equal in number.??

The last PE top mount rig I bought from Russia was a bit pricey but sure am glad I got it. It took a long time for it to arrive, several months before it landed in the US about the time a big hurricane hit Kalinka.

What is the dept of those holes, do you know? I heard that the pitch changed at one point,wonder if drill depth did too?