No 4 Mk1(T) book?

Thread: No 4 Mk1(T) book?

Default No 4 Mk1(T) book?

I'm getting interested in finding a genuine No 4 sniper, and I was wondering which books would give me the best and most accurate info before I make a major purchase in a field I know nothing about. Thanks in advance.

Skinnerton's The Lee Enfield is (A) huge and (B) does contain limited No4 T info. However, the "best" I've found is Peter Laidler's (with Skennerton) An Armourer's Perspective: .303 No. 4 (T) Sniper Rifle. I think I got mine for $30 on EBay. You kind of have to read it with a highlighter to gather together all the specifics of what makes a real sniper, but it pretty much covers everything. Markings you'll have to get familiar with (without repeating what you can find here and on other websites) are the markings wrist "TR", receiver proper "T", stock "S51", receiver "S", inspectors crown, butt stock scope number and, if removed, the hidden butt stock number. There are some exceptions for rifles that never got a scope and such. Rear sights, front sights, sling swivels, etc are also important but replaceable.

Good luck! I'm sure we both wished we were into these 20 years ago when Forum members were getting sets in the transit chests for peanuts!

Yes, the Laidler & Skennerton book is excellent but another very good idea is to study as many threads on different forums as possible and get the drift of how the experts assess a No. 4 T. Use a screen-capture tool and build a library of variations of the key markings and attributes. There are opportunities to score minor deals if you can spot one that doesn't have some of the assumed stamps due to year of conversion, etc. My first one was a horrible fake whose purchase was due to my ignorant enthusiasm. My second was a more subtle and cunning fake created by a former armorer. The third and fourth were genuine and made the whole ordeal worthwhile. Be patient and learn as much as you can before you make that first purchase.

Ruprecht

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I just watched one with the case and all accessories sell on GB for $4650, so I want to know what I'm looking at. I do remember when these were selling for $750 with all the extras, and thinking "Who would pay that much for a lousy Enfield?"

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    I just watched one with the case and all accessories sell on GB for $4650, so I want to know what I'm looking at. I do remember when these were selling for $750 with all the extras, and thinking "Who would pay that much for a lousy Enfield?"
    been there, done that,

Fishersville Gunshow, about 25 yrs ago

guy had the complete kit, laid out on his table for ~$700.,,,

shudda cudda didn;t
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    I had the same reaction back in 1970 when my older brother approached me and another brother of mine to make a group buy.

At the time I was making about $2.95 an hour and the $100 price of the rifle with the scope in the transit chest was more than a week's pay for me, after taxes.

At the time, the only other Enfield I had was a 1925 Ishapore in pretty nice condition, which had cost me something under $10.00.

He finally convinced me to buy it and today I am certainly glad that he did.

Talked my Mother into ordering a No.4(T) about 1959 from A&S in Chicago, $79.95. I still have the Railway Express receipt around here somewhere. Oh, still have the rifle also, all matching, including scope, can, and crate!

If you had invested that $80 at 10% compound interest and it doubled every 8 years, today you'd have...blah, blah, blah. The Important thing is you have the gun.

Peter laidler first and read both books. There also several British on line gun rags and the NRA site, look for N. Greenaway

..Good luck...
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

I smell a whopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive

That's nothing.
    I bought five No4Mk1T's test fired only, all with walnut stocks in their transit chests and with the scope cans with matching scopes. $725 for all five rifles.