Engraved 380

Thread: Engraved 380

Default Engraved 380

As I have posted before, I love my Spanish guns, especially Llama's. I was cruising gun auctions tonight, and caught this one before it was noticed. Was priced much lower than it should have been, from a reputable gun shop, and advertised as 97%+ ! The dealer had it listed as a Llama I-XV which I do not believe is correct. I am guessing it is a IIIA ? In any case, it is beautiful imo and can't wait to get it !!!!

That's really nice! Glad you got it.

You did well to snag that pistol, hopefully you got the box, extra mag and paperwork as it enhances the value greatly. If not I would take it out and enjoy shooting pure beauty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Sad part is upon inspection - the grip safety did not work. I took it apart, and sure enough, the right "prong" of the sear spring was broken off. The grip safety had no tension, and gun was always "live". I found a sear spring at Numerich, installed it, but still no go. The grip safety now has tension, feels like all is correct, but still fires whether pressed or not My LGS said perhaps the prong that rests against the sear needs to be bent a bit - tried it, and no luck. So bummed, can't figure out what else it could be. Gun cleaned up real nice, but gotta get this grip safety working !!!

I have grip safeties. Whoever had it may have wanted to disable the safety and filed down the part that engages the trigger. If you have a picture of the grip safety it may help. You should be able to get a the grip safety chromed if you get a new one that is blued. Otherwise, having a 1911 type gun without the grip safety is not that big of a deal since it has a thumb safety as well. Many 1911 owners disable the grip safety because they feel it is redundant. You can PM me if you want a grip safety.
    ~Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me~

The back of the grip safety looks to be un-molested ? I'm baffled that everything looks right - the safety has tension and feels right, but still, fires with it depressed or not. I keep taking it apart, playing with the prongs and putting it back together but nada Next step, I might just have to take apart one of my other IIIA's to compare and maybe try the sear spring out of one of those. Being an amateur though, I'm fearful of then having two non functioning grip safeties - lol.

I disagree. That grip safety looks heavily modified. The part that protrudes and blocks the trigger should be flat and thicker (vertical). That tip looks modified and I'm betting that is the cause of your trouble. I'll try to get a picture of what it should look like and post it here.

2 pics, not the best but maybe you can see what I mean.
    These are chromed. The one on the bottom would match your gun the best.
    The upper left one would probably need to be fit to the gun since the extension is wider than the others.

Attachment 2058938
    Attachment 2058946

I see. Mine does look close to the upper right one ? I went ahead and took the spring out of a beater IIIA I have and put it into this one and same issue, but also an added one - the hammer would not stay cocked with the other spring in - for the love of ................. and as expected, having a tough time getting the beater back together now and functioning - lol. Maybe I'll have to try a new grip safety ???

trial and error. finally took the thumb and grip safety off the beater - made sure the spring was in properly with the prong on the sear, etc.. put it back together and the beater is back to working fine. so simple, do the same thing with the new engraved one right? wrong, did the same thing, took it down, installed spring properly, put it all together and now the hammer won't stay cocked. ahhhhhh. I wonder if the main spring is weak ?

played more, by positioning the sear spring a little differently, the hammer started working again - dang Spaniards ! didn't fix the grip safety issue - but at least back to square one. done for the day !
    Last edited by cruzans; 03-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.

NExt time you have a minute, try the beater grip safety in the engraved one. You know it works in the beater so that will tell a story. Yes, positioning the sear spring properly is the key. What I do is once I know the sear spring is seated properly, I slide the main spring housing up half way to keep the sear spring in the slot at the bottom and then I align the prongs with the sear and the grip safety. Then I slide the MSH al the way up. I seriously doubt the main spring is weak.

Thanks. Need a few days to rebuild my patience then I'll give that a try. Tried switching the springs, should have tried the gs too !

Quote Originally Posted by larryh1108 View Post
    NExt time you have a minute, try the beater grip safety in the engraved one. You know it works in the beater so that will tell a story. Yes, positioning the sear spring properly is the key. What I do is once I know the sear spring is seated properly, I slide the main spring housing up half way to keep the sear spring in the slot at the bottom and then I align the prongs with the sear and the grip safety. Then I slide the MSH al the way up. I seriously doubt the main spring is weak.

Couldn't take it, had to try it tonight. And of course, just more mystery. I took both grip safeties off. First, I put the one from the engraved pistol into my beater. It worked first try, but then on a second attempt it would fire with or without depressing, then it would work, then it wouldn't, etc.. So, I thought this is it right ? So, I put the beater grip safety into the engraved pistol and ............... same issue, fires when depressed or not - are you kidding me !

This may sound strange but I've seen the back of the trigger (where it meets the disconnector) trimmed/filed down to smooth out the trigger pull. The trigger bow should be rectangular without a cutout or small arc. Is it straight? Can you show a pic of the back of the trigger/bow?

I'm OCD enough to explode if it was mine!

Mean this ? And yes DK, I am about to that point

Yes, that.
    It looks fine.
    The 1911 is really a simple design. The grip safety is also a simple design. When it is not depressed, the tip of the grip safety extension rests on the back of the trigger. When you depress the grip safety (it pivots) it raises the tip up just enough to allow the trigger to slide rearward. Obviously, when at rest, the tip of the grip safety is not contacting the trigger. Nothing else affects the grip safety. If the tip is not wide enough (vertically) then it will never block the trigger. I believe that is your issue. If you bend the sear spring grip safety prong far enough back it may push the grip safety far enough rearward to drop the extension in the proper place. Maybe that is why it was broke off on the original spring? Another option is to have your gunsmith add some solder or some JB Weld to the extension to lower it to contact the trigger (see upper left safety in my pics). Not much else would allow the trigger to be pulled back with the grip safety in the rest state. Does this make sense? Troubleshooting by internet is certainly interesting, huh?

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to play with it a little more later in the week, and if still no luck, see if gunsmith can figure it out. I'll let you know the outcome!

Yes, that.
    It looks fine.
    The 1911 is really a simple design. The grip safety is also a simple design. When it is not depressed, the tip of the grip safety extension rests on the back of the trigger. When you depress the grip safety (it pivots) it raises the tip up just enough to allow the trigger to slide rearward. Obviously, when at rest, the tip of the grip safety is not contacting the trigger. Nothing else affects the grip safety. If the tip is not wide enough (vertically) then it will never block the trigger. I believe that is your issue. If you bend the sear spring grip safety prong far enough back it may push the grip safety far enough rearward to drop the extension in the proper place. Maybe that is why it was broke off on the original spring? Another option is to have your gunsmith add some solder or some JB Weld to the extension to lower it to contact the trigger (see upper left safety in my pics). Not much else would allow the trigger to be pulled back with the grip safety in the rest state. Does this make sense? Troubleshooting by internet is certainly interesting, huh?

Of course, I couldn't wait. Thanks to your excellent explanation, I think I've figured it out - and you are correct. I cocked the gun and looked inside to see how the grip safety interacted with the trigger. It appeared to be perfect - when you depress the grip safety, the trigger goes into the notch no problem and "prong moves out of the way". But, There is enough room between the trigger and the tip of the prong ( if i said that right ) so the trigger is able to travel a short distance and fire withought the grip safety being pressed ! If the prong on the end of the grip safety was just a fraction longer, I think it would all work. So, I guess I either find a chrome one and hope it is longer, or pay someone to weld on some soder or such on the tip. Thanks!

If you decide to buy one, the one in my pic could/should work. It is chromed. Of course, a little JB Weld should work fine since there is very little stress/tension on that part.

sent you a pm. hope it went. I don't see it in my sent box ?

If you decide to buy one, the one in my pic could/should work. It is chromed. Of course, a little JB Weld should work fine since there is very little stress/tension on that part.