Gunboards Forums banner

Most Preferred brand/type of CB revolver BP? GOEX, Swiss or original recipe ?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TOK 
#1 ·
Not a what's best but "preferred"Black Powder for C & B revolvers like my 1860 Army or '58 Remington ?
Not Pyrodex I would imagine, but GOEX or Swiss or possibly Original...?

Thank you !

#3 ·
Goex or Swiss. Nothing beats the original unless you are having real trouble finding it. Most local stores don`t carry it because of the regulations that subsequently don`t affect the black powder substitutes as their formulation moves it to a different explosive category.

I get mine from Graf and Sons in bulk.

#5 · (Edited)
1860 Army Uberti - tried 30 grains GOEX FFFg and .454 ball, 141 gr with dry lubed wool wad & coconut oil/mess and was very happy with the mild recoil, mountain of smoke, and accuracy for my 1st six black powder shots: 5 of 6 inside an inch. No smokeless pistol I have or have shot is this much fun and this soft shooting or accurate.

I should have joined this awesome Blackpowder community long ago ! I appreciate the advice, and for me the Swiss FFFg loads are next but GOEX will be difficult to beat - fast ignition with Slix nipples and Remington #10 caps.

TOO BAD there are not caps that do not starfish and gum up the action ... or maybe there are ??
Maybe a different nipple design like these TRESO Nipples:

AMPCO NIPPLES
For Cap & Ball Revolvers
TRESO nipples are made from AMPCO, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in muzzleloading barrels. This material provides more resistance to repeated blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation. This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple. All nipples have a small base hole (.028”) to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases. Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against t he powder chamber. Use # 11 caps. AMPCO Nipple shoulder size: - Cap & Ball Nipples .174"

Will practice, take good care of my Army while I look for an addition/nice 1858 Rem. ... and get my supplies loaded up !

Gun Firearm Revolver Wood Air gun
Revolver

#6 ·
I've used both black powder and the subs. They all shoot just fine, although I noticed that after a long string of shots (20+) the subs were leaving a harder fouling in the hammer channel that would slow the fall of the hammer when the trigger is pulled. Sometimes if I were to let the hammer down slowly it would actually stick in the hammer channel! A quick scrub with a wet toothbrush would get the gun running properly again. When using real black powder I can shoot the same number of shots without having that problem.

#7 ·
I have four cans of 27 year old pyrodex. They no longer fire off like the fresh stuff. Had shots that went poof with unburnt powder and a long flame coming out of my muzzleloader rifle. I have 30 year old Goex and some older Dupont black powder that goes off with a good bang. The worst powder substitute I used was Black Canyon, it deteriorates quickly, after a year or so, it is not reliable.

#9 ·
30 grains of 3Fg is considered by many to be a very stout load. Try 20-25. It may shoot just as well.

For caps, I try to use ones that fit nice and snug on the nipple. You cannot go wrong using the Treso/AMPCO nipples. A lighter load may also help keep the caps from coming off and jamming the works.

Welcome to the world of blackpowder shooting. It is, IMHO, the most refined of shooting sports, because it requires that you understand what you're doing, rather than just stuffing rounds into a gun and blasting away.

If you have never fired a flintlock rifle, you should try it. Now THAT is a lot of fun.

#10 ·
Agreed ... GOEX, holding back on the Swiss I found, andexperimenting with 1 powder only.

I backed off to 25gr FFFg and happier with that load - Good Advice from you that did help with my starfishing cap issue - THANK YOU!

Minor Fail: Located someBeeswax and my formula with coconut oil was too heavy on the beesway and I got hardered, stubborn fouling whereas just using coconut oil/paste worked far better and cleanup was a snap - NO BIG Deal at all.

Epic Fail: tried cigarette papers to roll my 25 gr GOEX FFFg and the unburned paper jammed my cylinder and locked it up tight immediately. Lesson learned but I have the 1860 Army disassembly down pat now !

Success with clean ignition and starfishing of my #10 Rem caps: Treso/AMPCO nipples. These came ultrafast ship from The Possible Shop - outstanding service and they answered my questions late on a weekend night before I ordered.

Revolver-M5.5 x .9 Th. x .501 Long
Fits Reproduction Colt & Uberti Pistols
(6 Per Package)
11-50-166$31.95

Thank You for the help and support with this awesome Blackpowder hobby learning curve !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.